Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:11:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCopy Girl - Megaman inspired platformer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Copy Girl - Megaman inspired platformer  (Read 57307 times)
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »

Love how you have the megaman vibe but the style still feels your own.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »

Development of the music stage

Our third planned stage is based on music. This stage belongs to the boss Fuze, a rockstar-type character

My concept for the level is to represent her character through the changes in the scenery.

(these are all concept images, not in-game yet)

The stage starts out with scenery based on classical music, with brass wind instruments as a main theme:

The Sound Ribbons will push the player up or down, depending on the color

The level will then transition to a more modern setting. The middle point will be a mini-boss battle that will involve this pink and green water, which I’m still trying to figure out exactly the mechanic behind it

The second part of this stage will have a more vibrant feel to it. The concept here is that Fuze has redecorated the place by painting it green and pink, and throwing ribbons everywhere. Here the scenery represents string instruments, with this keyboard motif, and guitar enemies

A blue guitar shooting musical notes

A jumping pink guitar

A singing siren

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2015, 03:55:24 PM »

The stage looks great, i like the color combination and especially the enemy design and animations! Kiss

But i did not get the keyboard motif. The black keys on a piano are usually shorter than the white keys. You could simply replace one dark key with two shorter dark keys (not perfect, but way more piano-like in my eyes):

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »

The stage looks great, i like the color combination and especially the enemy design and animations! Kiss

But i did not get the keyboard motif. The black keys on a piano are usually shorter than the white keys. You could simply replace one dark key with two shorter dark keys (not perfect, but way more piano-like in my eyes):

That's just a simple animated pattern, it wasn't meant to look like that's a black key:

Although I might as well make them look more like piano keys being pressed:

or

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »

i think it's ok as it looks like a xylophone.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »

i think it's ok as it looks like a xylophone.
Damn you're right! I actually made this some time ago... and I was wondering why I added that little white dot on each key. Now I remember! I was totally going for a xylophone instead of a piano u.u

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2015, 11:54:32 PM »

Haha, that explains everything! Smiley Now i see the xylophone, i was just wondering because you said keyboard.
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »

Oh my god this project is sexy!
The colors and the design is fantastic, I can't wait for a demo!
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2015, 04:43:52 AM »

This looks lovely! Definitely has its own visual style, I like that it doesn't just try to resemble Mega Man.

flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2015, 05:49:35 AM »

This looks absolutely amazing due to it sticking to the roots of old school games, and using new ideas.  I saw some of your art way back, and I'm excited to see how this turns out!
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »

Ride sound waves to reach new heights

A pink wave will blow you away, while a blue one will suck you in

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »

cool!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »

Love how that looks in motion! It's a nice concept too. I also gotta say I really like the parallax on the background, really well done

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »

I like how it looks too, but it doesn't really read as "waves" to me - it looks more like a jet of water as opposed to sound waves (like >)| ). That's OK, though. Nice concept - keep going on it!

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »

I like how it looks too, but it doesn't really read as "waves" to me - it looks more like a jet of water as opposed to sound waves (like >)| ). That's OK, though. Nice concept - keep going on it!
In the doc they're called Sound Ribbons, which is why they look like this. They aren't meant to look like anything concrete really

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2015, 11:25:14 PM »

Remade the indoors sections of the first level:

A gif of the before and after:

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 12:13:24 AM »

This is getting more awesome each update!  Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
KaiTheSpy
Level 0

how to make the game

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »

This game looks so cool! It looks like Megaman or Shovel Knight but stays unique at the same time. The world can always use another retro platformer Smiley

i am a 14 year old loser who sort of knows how to program
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2015, 05:12:32 PM »

Weapon Design Overview - Ink Bubble

This is the first post on a series where we talk about how we designed each weapon in the game. There are 8 secondary weapons in Copy Girl and they must all be useful! It’s not exactly easy designing something like that.

First of all, we have a small list of rules that every weapon must follow:

• Must fill a role that no other weapon does
  • Must have a unique purpose
  • Must not fall under the “dominant strategy” category
  • The boss you get this weapon from will use it against you

Your main weapon is very good, it fires quickly and it has a wide hitbox, but it only travels a short distance in a straight line. The first few levels are being designed in a way that this weapon is an all-purpose destruction tool.

But it isn’t enough, specially against bosses, who’ll not stand right in front of you as often as most simple enemies do.

Today we’re gonna talk about the Ink Bubble weapon. It’s (for all intents and purposes) a physical weapon, so it’s affected by gravity and it’s stopped by solid objects. It has a long range but travels at an arc. It can also bounce on solids two times before disappearing.

Let’s check it against our rules from before:

- Must fill a role that no other weapon does

> It travels at an arc so it can hit stuff over obstacles at a long distance

- Must have a unique purpose

> It bounces, so it interacts with the scenery in a way no other weapon does

- Must not fall under the “dominant strategy” category

> It requires some aiming, otherwise you might just shoot into a wall or right over or under your target. It’s limited by the physical world around you

- The boss you get this weapon from will use it against you

> A bouncing weapon requires the player to be mindful of the trajectory when dodging it

But creating a weapon is just half the work that goes into designing them. We have to create enemies and situations that allow (or require) the player to use a weapon strategically against them

Here’s the Orbistar. It only wakes up once you get near, and then it’ll constantly fly in your direction. This might be a problem as avoiding them require good control of Copy

The Ink Bubble is perfect for the job:

Jumping down into an enemy will put you in danger! Luckily you have the right tool for the job:

Approaching this enemy is dangerous, if only you could attack it over this obstacle:

This was the first weapon we designed for the game, and it paved the way in creating the next ones. In future posts I’ll also be mentioning weapons that had big flaws or that were changed in order to fit a certain design rule

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »

It's always fun to get a behind-the-scenes look at the design process, so thanks for that. I am curious about whether the ability to attack the opponent from above led to any balancing issues, since it seems like the weapon reaches most of the way across the screen even without bouncing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic