Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:48:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGearend - 2D Metroidvania *Old Thread*
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Gearend - 2D Metroidvania *Old Thread*  (Read 26233 times)
Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »

I need to get myself into making games with Blender. Solar-Lune your art/games are always awesome!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:44:14 PM by Nu-Type » Logged
Sazem
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »

Man those animations and the game itself looks great and responsive!! and then I read that u r making this with Blender, truly inspiring. I can barely make a box with blender but somehow I really love the app.

I somehow didnt even think that it would be possible to make 2d game with Blender game engine :D

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2014, 02:34:30 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

@somn - I hope the shield works well. I think I'm gonna redraw the "unequipped" frame, but the basic idea behind the mechanic is there.

@Sazem - Thanks, I'm glad you like everything! The BGE is kind of under-utilized (I think); I'll see how it holds up when I start releasing demos and stuff.

I spent a few days recently looking into the Godot game engine recently to see how it's coming along - it's shaping up pretty nicely. It's a lot easier to use now than it used to be.

In any case, today I tweaked some of the shaders a bit to make the game more visually interesting (but hopefully not pointlessly so).

I also recently implemented a "key bot" that you destroy to unlock doors in a room. I think I need to add a "focus on the unlocked doors" cinematic, but I'm unsure on that; maybe just a simple "Zelda tone" will do. I don't know if I want to make the key robots things you need to destroy to move on; earlier ideas for this would be a robot you'd have to catch to unlock the door. I know I don't really want to bother with a whole "inventory" for this purpose, though (an additional key indicator, for example). I think I want it to be simple and easy to approach conceptually.

I plan on starting to create maps using prefabs (I suppose?) soon to help with map creation. I've tried this before in a tutorial video, and it worked out well, I think - hopefully it'll be useful and easy to work with for Gearend. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to go back and re-do the maps I've done so far with them, but I'm unsure.

the video, for reference.

Anyway, that's basically what I'm up to at the moment!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:41:44 AM by SolarLune » Logged

ucupumar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2014, 08:39:34 AM »

I spent a few days recently looking into the Godot game engine recently to see how it's coming along - it's shaping up pretty nicely. It's a lot easier to use now than it used to be.
Godot engine is started to show it's potential. It's kind of crazy regarding you already put a lot of effort using BGE, but do you really have any plan to port this game to Godot?

Anyway, the boss looks very badass. Maybe you should add screen shake effects when the boss stomp the ground.

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »

Looks awesome! Really put me in a metroidvania development mood. Smiley

Currently developing The Journey Down: Chapter Three
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »

Godot engine is started to show it's potential. It's kind of crazy regarding you already put a lot of effort using BGE, but do you really have any plan to port this game to Godot?

Anyway, the boss looks very badass. Maybe you should add screen shake effects when the boss stomp the ground.

To be honest, I wasn't going to, but today I found something that I would classify as a bug if I could identify it properly. It's annoying but not nearly a big enough deal to halt development (it used to be where firing would brighten a light that would cast a shadow; now, due to whatever lighting issues, the shadow on the gun shot no longer shows up). Maybe it's because I updated my graphics card or something? I dunno.

So, I'm somewhere in the middle. I might port it over if I were to succeed at a Kickstarter to fund development (which I might end up doing soon anyway). And thanks!

@Skygoblin - Thanks!

I've created prefabs / blocks for level creation, which already shows promise and feels easier to deal with than hand-making my levels like I used to do. Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »

Yo! So I've been working on this some more - in the time since my last post, I've implemented a new enemy and revamped how I make maps. I used to make them by hand, placing each tile of the background as well as the "foreground" ground and wall areas, but now I'm using "prefabs", or groups of blocks to create the areas. This allows me to be more efficient with how I make my maps and layouts.

I've also started trying to be more "Metroid-like" in my map creation so far, with areas that double-back on themselves, and that have multiple exit paths / doors. Hopefully, it'll be interesting to traverse.

I've fixed a couple of bugs that arose, fortunately. They had to do with going through doorways and running events. The doorway bug was interesting because it arose as a result of not testing doorways in the same direction more than once - I always used to go back through a doorway the way I came in. Now that I have a cyclical room layout (door A > B > C > D > A), I was able to find the bug. Guess it's a lesson to always test your game thoroughly and consistently, not just once or twice to ensure it works correctly.

The event bug arose because of spamming the advance key to skip through the dialog faster, haha. Guess I should test my game like players will play.

Also, I've begun implementing stats, like deaths and scrap collected. Eventually, there'll be a stat screen where you can see the amount of time you've played, how many times you've died, how many scrap you've collected, and so forth. Maybe there will even be different areas that are unlocked depending on how well you do with collecting and playing the game. If I do choose to implement such an area, though, I think I want the player to know that it's in there, and that those stats matter.

If I hide content behind an invisible barrier, so to speak, that the player doesn't even know exists, it can just frustrate players (i.e. after beating the entire game and looking through a walkthrough, they find out there's a better ending for playing in a special way).

I've also implemented some additional 2D filters, like a radial blur around the edge of the screen, and a slight vignette. I've also tweaked the bloom filter to be more accurate, using the built-in luminance texture instead of my custom formulae that weren't accurate.

No new devlog video or boss yet, but I hope to make significant progress soon. I'm gonna place some enemies, finish up some maps, and create the first boss before the village, and press on through!~

Thanks for reading.

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2014, 05:41:40 AM »

Looking good so far.
But all the bright shiny bloom, it kills, it kills!!  Shocked
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2014, 06:40:03 AM »

Looks awesome! I really enjoy your devlogs!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »

Thanks!

@JctWood - That shot shows me shooting, which has a light activated, so the bloom's really pronounced there. It's not nearly as bad under normal lighting conditions.

. Check it!

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »

I love the devlogs man, checking it out right now. From what I've seen, you show a lot of the new features and technical things. Do you think you'll ever talk about your design choices, level design and how you're planning / what you're planning the game to be?

edit : Ah, you do a lot in this video.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »

Yo! So I did a couple of streams yesterday for Gearend, the first one making music, and the second one making maps and tiles and stuff. You can find those streams

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »

This looks pretty awesome! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »

Thanks!

Copy + Paste from my blog:
______

Yo! So development continues on Gearend. It's been awhile since I posted about it here, but it's been going on steadily and fairly continuously, which is nice. I've been streaming development of the game through Twitch and uploading the resulting streams on my YouTube channel, where you can watch them.

I've been working on new things that I know I'll need in the game, as well as thinking about what the game will be like for future areas, for example. It's shaping up well, I think! I hope to have a demo out for everyone to play around with soon.

Anyway, here's what the game has recently gotten:

Scrap boxes that you can shoot! When you shoot and explode a box of scrap, it will pop out a predetermined number of scrap, which is indicated by the old bolt scrap, as well as a new type of scrap, which is a golden Screw. Screws are worth 5 Scrap, while bolts are worth 1.

There are now Signs! ... Well, I guess it's not that impressive or interesting. They tell you stuff when you go to interact with them, as signs usually do. :|

You can now equip items through the menu system! This was necessary, as I needed to create a shop system, but had no way to equip things that you could purchase. The tabs represent the different slots that you will be able to equip things on - Body, Legs, Left Arm, and Right Arm.

Also pictured in this GIF is the shop system itself. The shopkeeper is at the far right and says some general niceties to you; you actually need to interact with the items on the pedestals themselves to purchase them. If you have enough Scrap, then you can buy 'em. I hope to have items available through the shop as well as through other means.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far! Thanks for reading and following development of Gearend - I hope to have a demo soon, and finish it off quickly as well.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2014, 08:18:05 AM »

Huh, no idea how I missed this before. Looks really cool. Following!

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »

Thought I was already following this but apparently not and missed that last update. Them explosions seem to look and feel great. Nice smoke trail too  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »

Hey, I didn't want to just let this die; in case anyone's interested and wants to know, development has been restarted and will be continued here. Thanks for reading!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic