Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:54:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest MS2 v0.98 feedback.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest MS2 v0.98 feedback.  (Read 5346 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:32:38 AM »

OK, based on 10 minutes or so play

• The game is completely delightful and charming.
  • Graphics are super sweet, the different frame rates of the animations no longer seems to bother me for some reason. Delicious animations for other elements like electiricty, garbage chutes, robots.
  • Platforming is fun, and the controls make sense and work well, very responsive and smooth, the sounds and particle effects really help to make that so
  • Music is fun and great
  • Everything works, no problems or bugs encountered yet, but I didn't try to break it particularly yet (box under lift for example)
  • Some harder jumps were annoying as you have to start again - maybe checkpoints around the harder levels?
  • Death by falling felt unfair - too harsh? Checkpoints again or a heart/health system?
So far really enjoying it. Great work.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:47:54 AM »

I agree with Haowan! Everything feels super polished. Great work, man.  Beer!

I would also agree that the game feels a bit too punishing at point, but I realize that this plays into the design. I think just having a faster respawn (you die, and after 1-2 seconds you're starting again) would make it feel less annoying. Having to see the death message and reload the level feels like a bit much. (I also realize that that's temporary)

I also ran into some interesting problems with the box + platform test level, but I'm guessing you're probably already aware of them?

Anyways, awesome work. Can't wait until the community gets its hands on it and starts cranking out content!  Gentleman

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »

Word, thank you!  Yeah, the gameplay-specific stuff is still in its infancy.  That's what Milestone 3 is going to be all about.  Wink

It's almost almost done.  Should have it out tonight, if all goes accordion to plan.  My nervousness is slowly turning into relief...

Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:29:51 AM »

Yay! I've been waiting for this for a while now. Do you plan to eventually release the source code?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »

Not the source, it'd be pretty useless (and embarrassing), honestly, but every bit of the logic is external, so once there's a lot of global game elements, it might be helpful to some folks.  (And even adaptable into other games using the engine.)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic