Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:01:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Wizard - Fast paced PDL
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Wizard - Fast paced PDL  (Read 77644 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2014, 01:37:55 AM »

Use full names for stats please, I can guess what they are but some make absolutely no sense
lionfish
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2014, 04:22:11 AM »

That GIF looks great!  Awesome job, keep it up!
gtg3000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:23 AM »

Mana regen... Removed? Wut? So, using anything but the basic attack is a liability now?

At least give instant mana restore on completing the room?
kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:13 AM »

Use full names for stats please, I can guess what they are but some make absolutely no sense

Full names are available on mouse over. Might revisit this upon UI rewrite tho Smiley
Plus, as I said. The more obscure ones might not be upgradable through Upgrade Points.

That GIF looks great!  Awesome job, keep it up!

Thanks, buddy!

Mana regen... Removed? Wut? So, using anything but the basic attack is a liability now?

At least give instant mana restore on completing the room?

What I am going to do is to have more of the mana orbs drop from enemies.
They should also be  disappearing after a short while.
If done right this should give the player an interesting choice of whether he or she wants to rush in to the group of mobs and pick up that orb or to stand back at a safe distance.

Thanks for the feedback!

gtg3000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »

Well, I sincerely hope you can get it done right. But just giving faster mana regen would work too.

The last 'release' is fun, but lack of mana made me stick to corners and wait for ten minutes more than once, can't imagine how it will be without no regen and no mana drops from pots, but eh.
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2014, 04:26:23 PM »

This game looks amazing :O

Lawlcopt0r
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2014, 03:20:03 AM »

Hey Smiley
First off, I really had fun with your game. I downloaded it some time ago, but the changes you detailed since then also sound promising. Still, I want to give some feedback, even if the issues i have may be partly resolved by now.

What immediately fascinated me about the game was the theme of powerful magic, but when I started playing I was, due to the rather hectic gameplay, unable to use any of the provided spells. I still kept playing and enjoyed myself, but I guess you would want the player to make more use of the spells as this would make combat more tactical and therefore more intereesting in the long term. The specific reasons that I didn't use the speels were the following:

-unpredictable and hectic enemy behaviour: Of course I realise that the pace of the game is not something to hugely alter, but the onslaught of bats and spiders was simply to fast for me to do anything but spam my mouseklick. I noticed that the enemys tend to hover in the distance if not approached, but if they are close they close in very fast. maybe you could pull them on a wider radius, but then they approach a bit slower? Also the jumping irritated me. I like that you limited the jump distance, but I also dislike that it was not at all discernable what triggers the jumping and if it might be avoided. If I can't at least partly predict the enemy behaviour, I have no interesting way to counter it.

-suboptimal input: Normally I wouldn't mind the spell keys, but since the game moves so fast I rarely ever managed to hit the right button immediately. It would, for example, be very helpful to have a very fast double click trigger the shockwave, or have the faster standard attack assigned to a modifier key you can reach with your thumb, and it only stays active as long as you hold it down.

I hope I don't sound too nitpicky, please know that I immensely enjoyed the game and that I think both the movement, the attacks and the general look are very well executed and give the whole game a really fun feel.
Hope I was helpful! Smiley
balldrix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2014, 04:52:55 AM »

Very good looking game!  I will have a play with it later.
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »

OOOH!!! This game looks fantastic!! Crazy

It's funny, back in 2011 I started to learn how to make games by myself and using XNA I started a learning project called Little Wizard, which was supossed to be a game just like this, but back then I didn't have the knowledge and time to finish it so, once I felt like I had learned enough I let the project go.

Even tho mine was just a learning project, seeing what you are making makes me feel kinda nostalgic in some way. Thank You for making this, can't wait to play it Smiley
IsaacKuo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »

Very nice! I'm running in Debian Stable linux, 32 bit x86, a Fujitsu T5010 2.8Ghz C2Duo. Downloaded executable worked out of box! Very nice graphics and action!

Personally, I can't get the hang of mouse aiming, but that's pretty standard controls (so that's my own problem). Still, I'd love an all keyboard control option with rotate/fire keys (JK to rotate and L; to fire).

My only immediate complaint is that the obstacle blocks kind of blend in with the background. The room walls have a neon purple glow that's very visible, but the obstacle blocks just have dull purple dots which don't really pop out. To me, it seems an unnecessary impediment.
kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »

Guess who's back?
Me, thats who.

To be honest I have been very uninspired the last couple of weeks.
Not much work has been done at all. For some reason this often happens to me as I release something to the public. Be it paintings, music or games.

But now things are starting to happen again.
I have broken almost everything while restructuring but hopefully things will turn out better once rewrites are in place.

There isn't a whole lot to show you, except that I made a new skill tonight;
The Blood Crystal
Click to place it. Shoot it til it breaks. The shards hurt enemies.
Might be mildly overpowered at this point. But fun!

Blood Crystal wrecking shit up

Oh, and another minor thing You can see here is that there is a direction and range thing in front of the wizard.
I have plans to use this for Controller support later. *dun* *dun* *dun*!

Anyway. Hope you can forgive me for the long delay between updates. Hopefully they will come more often now.

Kisses // Kebabskal

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »

Hey peeps.

Finally got to spend some time on TW.
We now have controller support.
Left stick moves, right stick aims.
Left/Right shoulder buttons (should be triggers maybe...)
A, X, Y, B is Skills 1, 2, 3 and 4.

It works, but needs a bunch of tuning to get the feeling right.

It's quite a bit harder to aim with the controller so I implemented a shotgun like Wand with the assets from the Blood Crystal to help annihilate the enemies.

Controller support is a fact!

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »

Man this game looks awesome! Really great work so far! Controller support makes such a difference for when your showing your game off at shows and stuff Smiley

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2014, 04:10:17 AM »

Downloaded and proceeded to play for 2 hours straight. It's a winner!

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2014, 08:08:02 AM »

Hey!

Been a bit under the weather lately, so progress have been even slower than usual Smiley
But there actually has been a bit of work done:

First off, the Item/Object/Spell refactor I have been working on is closing in on being complete.
Most of the peripheral things that broke when ripping that system apart has been fixed now.

Secondly, I have added an enemy that summons increasing numbers of small enemies around the player. You'd be wise to dispose of this guy quickly, before things get out of hand. Wildly unbalanced and not a just a little confusing at this point, but I think this kind of enemy might help making the intensity curve of each room less of a front heavy slope.

I have also been experimenting a bit with short range, melee weapons.
In the gif below you can see some spell-sword action. It feels very different, but quite fun!

The Upgrade/Inventory menu now also pauses the game.
I have hooked up more of the stats that can be upgraded to actually affect gameplay.
Range affects the size of the spellblade for example.

Spellblade, enemy summoning enemy, upgrades etc

What's next then?
I really need to nail down the actual weapon/skill setup.
I am leaning towards defining a character class like this:
* One starting weapon. When multiple weapons are picked up the player can cycle through them via a button press.
* One starting spell, with another unlockable via Upgrade Points. Could possibly upgrade spells via Upgrade Points.
* One empty Artifact slot. An artifact would be a utility item that is activated.

The different classes might have different ways of regenerating mana.
One might regenerate mana faster if killing enemies in quick succession.
One might have negative regeneration so mana is always empty, but it would fill up when landing hits. Sort of, charging up to some kind of finisher spell.

The other thing would be to try to find the right balance between number of enemies, damage, level ups etc.
It's not feeling right just yet.

Man this game looks awesome! Really great work so far! Controller support makes such a difference for when your showing your game off at shows and stuff Smiley

Thanks!
The game is very different with a controller and mouse+kb. Aiming is a lot less precise etc.
The last 15 years I have have very little experience playing games with controllers so its actually a decent proxy for me to know how newbie playing feels.

Downloaded and proceeded to play for 2 hours straight. It's a winner!

Thanks! Wish my progress was faster so I could let you guys test all the new stuff.

Hugs and kisses!
/Me

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »

Hey, you might already know this but I seem to be able to move outside the levels by either teleporting or breaking the entrance boxes and actually kill everything from the outside! Just thought you should know. Can't wait to play the next version!

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »

Quick update.

I'mma fajjarin' mah lazorz!

Added a beam weapon.
Damage is increased the longer you fire.
Mana is drained while you keep the beam going.

Lazer wand - Strong flashlight

Hey, you might already know this but I seem to be able to move outside the levels by either teleporting or breaking the entrance boxes and actually kill everything from the outside! Just thought you should know. Can't wait to play the next version!

Yup I know of this Smiley

Person4494
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »

So I downloaded this game from Rockleesmile's video And I was quick restarting for fun and got an ice character if that is the case are you going to make a character section screen. And the game is great
AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2015, 07:27:56 AM »

What happened to this, it looks awesome!

It still being worked on?

Follow my games non-sense twitter, @BraddersAdam
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »

Still in development, recent stuff from the dev's Twitter

Mock-up

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic