Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:39:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Wizard - Fast paced PDL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Wizard - Fast paced PDL  (Read 77147 times)
skittlefuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2014, 01:45:46 AM »

This looks great!
Really digging the simplistic character!

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »

This game looks so hectic! I love it. Keep up the good work Smiley

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »

Sloppy Frost Witch gameplay

Heya!

What, what? New playable character? Indeed.
Say "Hi" to the Frost witch.
Both blue and bad-ass.
The mechanics revolve around ice and frost.
Her shots have a chance to freeze the enemies solid.
She is a little more fragile, but a whole lot more nimble.

Skills:
* Hail - Places a hail cloud under the cursor. Hurts and freezes enemies. (Currently looks like the Frost Mist. Subject to change)
* Shatter - Violently breaks all frozen enemies, sends particles in all directions and does a bit of damage.
* Frost Mist - Creates a cloud of freezing mist under the player.
* Teleport - Teleports to the cursor

Made up, painted and implemented all the skills in approx 2.5 hours, so they need some tuning surely.
The mist and the hail might be too similar.
I feel that the former could be replaced with some kind of directional pushback with freeze or something instead.

Thanks for the feedback! Hope to bring more frequent updates, but Real Life (tm) has been rather hectic lately Smiley

Hugs and kisses // Hannes
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:59:35 PM by kebabskal » Logged

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:53 PM »

Hey dude!

How do you do your sprite importing in Unity?
Do you just scale them massively in PS then import?

CANTATA
kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »

Hey dude!

Hey!
Nope. I import them at pixel resolution then scale em up.

Settings look like this:

The most important part beeing Filter Mode: Point which makes upscaled sprites crisp, not blurry.

Cheers!

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »

Hey dude!

Hey!
Nope. I import them at pixel resolution then scale em up.

Settings look like this:

The most important part beeing Filter Mode: Point which makes upscaled sprites crisp, not blurry.

Cheers!

That's what I thought. Are you using.png?

I do this

and get this

what do?

CANTATA
captain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »

Super! I totally like her character: blue and bad ass! Smiley Put that into the game when selecting her!

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »

Can't stop looking at those gifs, looks incredibly fun!

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »

what do?

It seems that the unity inspector doesn't take Filter Mode into account. But for me, things look crisp when placed in the scene.

Super! I totally like her character: blue and bad ass! Smiley Put that into the game when selecting her!
Hehe, might aswell Smiley

Can't stop looking at those gifs, looks incredibly fun!
It's getting better and better in the fun department.
The 15 second fun-loop is good. But there is not really anything to push you to go further except for "high score" (floor number).
And you really outpace the enemies power-wise right now, which gets boring very fast.

Gaah, so much to do. Luckily it's still fun to do Smiley

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2014, 12:54:47 AM »

Worked on some procedural layout stuff.
Tiny wizard dungeon now has "wings".

This takes quite a while to generate.
Think it is actually instantiating all the objects that are the problem, not the generation itself.
Probably shouldn't instantiate a room until it's entered or something.
Need to figure that out...

Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2014, 03:59:38 AM »

Your game looks super awesome so far! I'm a huge Binding of Isaac fan and you managed to capture the magic (no pun intended) while keeping your own unique style. I too was inspired to write a song based on what was going on in some of the gifs, I think it fits the frantic nature pretty well.

http://alexanderandom.bandcamp.com/track/wiz-wiz-its-time-to-waz

lionfish
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2014, 04:40:36 AM »

Looks awesome, really excited to see your updates.  Great job!
kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »

Gameplay

Map with combined rooms

Time for a small update

Not a whole lot of exciting stuff lately, mostly behind the scenes stuff.

* I made the engine load and instantiate rooms just before they are entered, instead of all at once upon generation.
* The procedural algorithm now also combines some rooms into bigger horizontal and vertical ones.
* The camera module have been updated to allow for scrolling within the large rooms.
* New death-screens
* New Hail spell-effects

I sorta feel that progress have been sluggish lately. All the low hanging fruit have been picked.
Need to move from prototype into production somehow.
I still think the biggest problem is lack of a sense of progression.
Might be remedied by just making more content.

Cool song! Glad if I can inspire Smiley

Looks awesome, really excited to see your updates.  Great job!
Thanks a bunch! Helps to keep me going Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:00:16 AM by kebabskal » Logged

Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »

For a sense of progression, what if you added a recurring boss character to the game like another rival wizard  Wizard? You could make so to progress to the next color set of generated rooms you had to beat him, but could choose to fight him early or run throughout the room set until you were powerful enough or hit the room right on the edge. If you beat him early you could finish faster, but you'd have less powerups to fight him again later. Or maybe he could just chase you throughout if you run into him to add a sense of urgency to clear different rooms or something. The most obvious kind progression I can think of is choosing just one spell at the start after defeating a big boss, then gaining a new one while your old ones level up. You would have to choose which spell you want to be strongest by the end and which would be weakest. Just some ideas to get the ol' brain juices flowing

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »

For a sense of progression, what if you added a recurring boss character to the game like another rival wizard  Wizard? You could make so to progress to the next color set of generated rooms you had to beat him, but could choose to fight him early or run throughout the room set until you were powerful enough or hit the room right on the edge. If you beat him early you could finish faster, but you'd have less powerups to fight him again later. Or maybe he could just chase you throughout if you run into him to add a sense of urgency to clear different rooms or something. The most obvious kind progression I can think of is choosing just one spell at the start after defeating a big boss, then gaining a new one while your old ones level up. You would have to choose which spell you want to be strongest by the end and which would be weakest. Just some ideas to get the ol' brain juices flowing

There is definitely ideas in that vein in my mind.
I'll try not to spoil too much, but there are four "wings" now... There might be something at the end of each of those Wink

Maybe I could have a basic, improved and master version of each spell.
And you get some kind of "power rune" or something as you kill bosses with which you'd choose a spell to upgrade.
Larger hail radius, longer and fatter raspberry beam, more oompfh in the nova spell etc.

Thanks, that is a great idea!
(And thanks for singlehandedly and in one post tripling the amount of time to create each character class Wink )

Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2014, 09:49:39 PM »

No problem, anything to get the creative juices flowing and make this game even cooler. Don't make me throw more ideas at you mister!  Tongue

Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2014, 02:45:01 AM »

Liking the style and pace of this one a lot! I love Binding of Isaac to death, so interested to see where this is going. Will be watching this thread!

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »

Art style looks great and very smooth! Spell effects look so satisfying. May I ask, how do you make your awesome gifs any specific software?

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »

Liking the style and pace of this one a lot! I love Binding of Isaac to death, so interested to see where this is going. Will be watching this thread!
Thanks! It's quite different from BOI, much more mayhem, but I have a feeling some BOI-fans might enjoy this aswell Smiley

Art style looks great and very smooth! Spell effects look so satisfying. May I ask, how do you make your awesome gifs any specific software?
Thanks!
I use LICEcap for the gifs. http://www.cockos.com/licecap/
Just enable the "make-my-game-totally-juicy-slash-delicious.com.net.org"-filter and you are golden Wink

kebabskal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2014, 12:37:39 PM »

Hey peeps, time for a little update.
Been a little slow on the progress reports, that is however because I haven't had anything visual to show.
I have been pretty busy working on the game tho.

The most of my time has been spent totally rewriting the dungeon generation system.
At this point it's almost back to where it were before the rewrite but with a couple of really nice enhancements:
  • The dungeon can now be generated inside of the unity editor allowing me to manufacture test scenarios easier.
    This also greatly helps to find problems with the generation algorithm as I can press "Randomize Seed and Generate".
    See me click through a bunch of layouts in the video below.
  • Also featured below is my editor visualization of rooms and doors. Makes it pretty easy to see the paths.
    Yellow connections between rooms are locked doors. A big circle in the room signifies that it is a shop.
    Dashed line and dark room indicates a hidden (bombable) room.
  • The Wing-system is in place. I can now edit the position, size, number of shops, hidden room probability etc for each individual wing.
    I am also able to select which rooms go in which wing.
  • I have moved away from a prefab based room system where I saved each room type as a prefab in the project.
    Now, all the room types are just objects in the main scene in Unity. This is for a bunch of reasons.
    Unity's prefabs can't contain other prefabs, which is a hassle if I want to change something for every instance in a room for example.
  • Each room type now exists as an object parented to another object, "Wing 1 Rooms" etc, which in turn is linked in the dungeon generators Wing component. Quite ugly, indeed, but works perfectly and it is less cumbersome to add new rooms.
  • A new enemy spawning component is built.  Instead of having the confusing "room respawn timer" from previous builds I can now configure spawners better. Each spawner has a delay, an interval, a number of spawn iterations, number of enemies, a radius in which enemies will spawn at random positions.

Clicking through a bunch of dungeon layouts.

Some gameplay as proof that things are actually working Smiley Nothing really interesting tho.

I guess that my next endeavor will be to work on room types and enemies for the other wings.
And that first boss I have been talking about forever...

Hugs!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:00:51 AM by kebabskal » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic