Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:00:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFruit Wars
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Fruit Wars  (Read 9015 times)
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »

Looks really nice ! I particularly like the colors of the moon  Smiley
Is this gonna be like King Arthurs Gold ( with swords, pickaxes ) or more advanced weaponry such as machineguns/rocket launchers?

Hey, thanks for your reply Smiley

I already have vehicles like planes and helicopters, so it's not going to be one type of weaponry.
About weapons: I would like to add swords, bows and maybe even boomerangs but also some (not many) guns because, if there would be no guns, it'd be a bit unfair because the plane and UFO can shoot.
(Also, you can kill your enemies by building things if you'd like to do that...)

If you have any suggestions, I'd be more than glad to hear them Smiley
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »

Managed to draw some swords

Big size:

Normal size:
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 06:36:09 AM »

Did a lot of work on items and I also created a particle system for the game (altough there is no use for the particles yet).

Items will be created using an anvil, every base has its own anvil. Creating items costs points.
Here's a screenshot for you Smiley

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »

(Also, you can kill your enemies by building things if you'd like to do that...)

This is something that I really like in these kinds of games, when you are able to cause chaos without directly firing at an enemy or something haha  Wink

If you dismount from a plane/helicopter/ufo in the air, does it fall and explode everything ?
Also, will the blocks have physics/gravity to them?
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »

This is something that I really like in these kinds of games, when you are able to cause chaos without directly firing at an enemy or something haha  Wink

Originally, the idea was that this would be the only way to kill someone else, but I thought it would be too hard. Then I saw your comment on weaponry, and I added weapons as a second method of killing someone Smiley

If you dismount from a plane/helicopter/ufo in the air, does it fall and explode everything ?
Also, will the blocks have physics/gravity to them?

The UFO can float without any problems and doesn't need to have someone to keep it in the air.
However, if the plane/helicopter is not placed on the ground, it will fall down. When it falls down at a high velocity, it breaks the blocks it hits and explodes.

So you'd better be careful with the plane and helicopter Tongue
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »

Worked on combat system and it has some lovely particles:

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »

You can die now and you can respawn, still need to add a healthbar...
Here's a GIF:

(Yes, it respawns at 2, but that's fixed now Smiley)
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »

Currently when you make an item using an anvil, you don't have to wait to make the item, it creates it instantly when you click "make". Should I add a delay like I did with researching?
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »

Worked on a new lighting system and I think the bugs in the lighting are finally gone Smiley
Also added a healthbar and when you break a tile, you'll see particles:

Also, I feel like it's a bit lonely in here, any comments on this devlog? Smiley
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »

Finished gems generation in the world There are different gems:
  • Amethyst: worth 10 points
  • Copal: worth 15 points
  • Emerald: worth 22 points
  • Ruby: worth 28 points

They appear in veins and are generated all over the place by the world generator.

Here's a screenshot where I've collected some Copal (you can still see the particles) and thus, I've gained 30 points in total:
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »

It might be a good idea that when you play in a "moon" type of world, that there's a chance that a meteorite falls down on the terrain. If it hits something it will explode and destroy the terrain. Due to the heat, there will also be lava on the place where the meteorite landed Smiley.

Mockup for meteorite:
cascaid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »

A game where I can be an apple....wielding a sword....attacking helicopters?!
This sounds great!
Are there any kind of leaderboards, to keep track of how many points you've scored?
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »

A game where I can be an apple....wielding a sword....attacking helicopters?!
This sounds great!
Are there any kind of leaderboards, to keep track of how many points you've scored?

You are not limited to an apple! You can choose other fruit too and you can change the way how it looks. But I'll post a screenshot later, when that's working properly Grin.

Leaderboards will be viewable when you go to the lobby before joining a game.
The lobby is also the place where you can customize your own character.
I don't want that you can choose between every possible outfit... I want that you need to "earn" the outfits you can put on your character so people can feel special if they have a certain outfit Smiley

I'm thinking about adding multiple sizes of meteorites, big ones and small ones.
Big ones generate a big crater and the crater will be filled with lava (due to the heat).
Small ones generate a small crater and it won't be filled with lava.
Meteorites have a chance of 1 out of 10 to fall down every 30 seconds.
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »

So today I've tried to get water flow working...
The basics of the water flow work now.
However, lighting issues came back and there's a bug in the water flow which I can't find. :/
It's really frustrating.

I got 2 GIFs for you today and I'll try to fix the issues tomorrow.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »

Okay, let's talk.

The past few days I had a couple of problems related to the lighting and water flow and getting meteorites to work.
The bugs that were in the game were really frustrating me because I couldn't find what was causing them.
That is causing me to lose courage to work on this game.

I first started this project in april and stopped working on it because I totally became discouraged.
But then I realized that when you try to make something, you NEED to fail, because failing helps you in the learning process...
... And that's what I wanted to do: learn.

The good news:
Yesterday, I got water flow (kinda) working but lighting issues were still there.
I managed to fix the bugs with lighting and water flow today and it looks like it's working... Smiley

So tomorrow, I'll work on meteorites falling down and destroying the world Smiley
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »

It can be dangerous on the moon (recorded GIF file at low fps):

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »

I wanted to add more world generators Smiley

Savanna

Minimap:

Glacier

Minimap:
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »

Mockup for large meteorite that will create a huge crater with lava at the bottom:

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »

Changed the looks of the moon stone from to .

Collecting gems currently isn't really dangerous, so I got the idea to make it a bit dangerous!
(This is just an idea, I still need to think about it...)
For example when you collect a gem, there's a chance that it explodes or there's a chance that a certain gas escapes and you begin to float for a certain amount of time.
Any opinions on this?

Finally here's a crater of large meteorite:
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »

Implementing shooting for vehicles...
Note that only the UFO and the plane can shoot, helicopter is just used for traveling in the air.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic