Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:35:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFruit Wars
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Fruit Wars  (Read 8935 times)
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »

Pew pew, killing players in a savanna with a plane.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »

In the lobby of the game, you're going to be able to change the way your character looks.
You can combine hats, items and fruits to make your own character.
However, I don't want that you have access to all types of hats, fruits, ...
I think you should earn them, but how?

I was thinking that when you collect gems, there's a small chance that you can get a new type of hat or item or fruit. So if you're lucky, you get more stuff you can put on your character.
If someone has an alternative idea, please share it with me! Smiley
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »

Drew some thing...
I'm not a person who is used to work with graphics, some of these don't look very good in my opinion... :\
If anyone has feedback or advice, please tell me!

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »

I feel like it's a bit quiet here, I feel a bit lonely here...

Potions:
Potions will be available in the researching menu. The potions can be carried with you or you can store them in your base if you'd like to share them with other players.
These potions will need to be researched once, when you research a potion, you pay a certain amount of points.
After researching, you can brew them any time you want, however, you still have to pay points if you want to brew them.
Brewing is not possible without researching them first.

Current potions ideas:

Potions will last for a given amount of time (eg. 20 seconds).

• Jump boost
  • Speed boost
  • Invisibility
  • Less gravity

If you have more ideas for potions, feel free to share them!
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »

Hey, sorry for not posting in quite some time, been quite busy with life.

First of all I changed the logo to:

Which is alot better than the previous one!

I've done some work on the fruits and costumes:
(Meet the banana)

My plan is to release some sort of public build of the game so I can get early feedback. With that feedback I can see if the gameplay works well or not. I don't know yet when I'll release it, but I'll post it here.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »

You can drop items on the ground, this is a way to give/trade items.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »

Drawing potions:
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 06:25:11 AM »

Potions give off a particle effect when they are active.

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »

This looks cool and very thought out! I dunno how I feel about the fruit thing, I don't entirely dig it, maybe fruit just isn't my thing. Best of luck!

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 06:48:58 AM »

This looks cool and very thought out! I dunno how I feel about the fruit thing, I don't entirely dig it, maybe fruit just isn't my thing. Best of luck!

Hey!
I understand that the fruit aspect of the game may sound quite weird. Some people like it, some don't.
Personally, I like the idea.
Anyways, thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it Smiley
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »

Fixed some stuff in the game, changed some code here and there, ...
Added a little extra tile in the underworld (the grave, you can see it twice, a grave that has light on it and a grave that is completely black due to shadow):

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2014, 07:15:34 AM »

Tweaked the underworld worldgenerator, now generates more fun terrain and lavafalls!

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »

Reworked some things in the lighting system.
Lighting is now split up into 2 "layers". One for sunlight and another one for light generated by objects on the map.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »

Player around with some variation in tiles, I mean like "gaps" (or however you want to call them) in tiles:
HopelessComposer
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »

Looks pretty interesting. Keep up the good work. =)
Your graphics look a little washed out and dingy in some places, though. Honestly, your art is probably a big reason you aren't seeing too many responses. Try bumping up the contrast and saturation, maybe? It looks a little washed out.

It looks like you're using straight color ramps for all your art, too, probably. Try some hue-shifting. It's a cheap way to make your game more interesting looking...I hate recommending it, because it's pretty much pixel art's lens flare, but...just pick a hue for your lights. Most people go with a yellow or orange or red. One of the "warm" colors. Then pick a color for your shadows. Most people go for a cool color, blue, purple, green. Now, just shade as usual, but slowly shift your hue from your light hue to your shadow hue, depending on how dark your object is. If you abuse it, it'll make your art look like shit, but it's good to experiment, hahah. As it is now, your art is probably too washed out looking, so you should give it a shot.
Anyway, good luck with your project! =)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:34:03 PM by HopelessComposer » Logged
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »

Looks pretty interesting. Keep up the good work. =)
Your graphics look a little washed out and dingy in some places, though. Honestly, your art is probably a big reason you aren't seeing too many responses. Try bumping up the contrast and saturation, maybe? It looks a little washed out.

It looks like you're using straight color ramps for all your art, too, probably. Try some hue-shifting. It's a cheap way to make your game more interesting looking...I hate recommending it, because it's pretty much pixel art's lens flare, but...just pick a hue for your lights. Most people go with a yellow or orange or red. One of the "warm" colors. Then pick a color for your shadows. Most people go for a cool color, blue, purple, green. Now, just shade as usual, but slowly shift your hue from your light hue to your shadow hue, depending on how dark your object is. If you abuse it, it'll make your art look like shit, but it's good to experiment, hahah. As it is now, your art is probably too washed out looking, so you should give it a shot.
Anyway, good luck with your project! =)

Yeah I agree, another piece of advice is to avoid making your stuff look to much like it's real life counterpart. Everything is in pixel art and is made of cubes so it's far from realistic to begin with. So get creative with your art by stylizing it and making it look more visually unique. Sure maybe the dirt you've drawn does look like that in real life but dirt in real life isn't all that interesting to look at either. Take real life references with a grain of salt a mix in colors and shapes that might not normally belong there. Experiment with that idea and eventually you'll come up with a style unique to you that will set your art apart.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »

Hey, I would like to thank you both for giving your feedback, I really appreciate it! Smiley
I agree that my art does not fit well and does not look very good in the current style of the game.
I experimented a bit with redrawing tiles, when I found the right style for me that fits the game well, I'll start playing around with the light+shadow colors.

Not really sure about this, but if it's good, I might continue with this style and apply it to the other tiles.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »

Yes that's certainly a step in the right direction! Keep experimenting!

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Smiley
Reworked some more tiles today, still need to do the shadow shades. That's the reason why in the first screenshot, you don't see shadow.

I'm not really sure about the leaves in the screenshot, any opinions on that?
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2014, 02:15:45 PM »

Tree leaves have a new look (still need to do the triangles, so not shown here) + implemented the blue & yellow tinted light system HopelessComposer talked about.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic