Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:43:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralNintendo DS is Fawking Awesome
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo DS is Fawking Awesome  (Read 6559 times)
Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:54:08 PM »

WTF is this topic about!?!?
well it's about great stuff with the Ds.
There are some interesting homebrews and now the R4http://www.metagames-eu.com/Article290_Test-R4-DS.php is easy to get.

Show us what you do with yours.

I play a lot of games sometimes nes games. But there is one RPG that stands out it's called contact.
The leveling system resembles FInal fantasy 2. Use a lot of one thing to level it. Theres it s ton of item and the story is really interesting. It was made by grasshopper. The graphics reminds me of some indie games and it got the feeling to it too.

There are some great import too Daigassou Band brother is a really interesting muscial game that kicks DDR in the balls. It's more musci based then mathc the arrow at the good moment. It's in japanese but you can manage the menues.

In the homebrew part it is slowly developping but will get interesting.
Here is a link if you are interested in hombrewes http://www.ndshb.com/

Daigassou! Band Brothers

Contact

O I forgot PSP SUCKARD   :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:06:39 PM by Bebop » Logged
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »

I have a DS-Xtreme card for my DS and currently on it i have:

NES emulator
SNES emulator
link for both of the above and some other emulator info (http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Category:Emulators_on_DS)

DSDoom (http://www.dsdoom.com/)
DSQuake (http://quake.drunkencoders.com/)
DS port of Flashback (http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/REminiscenceDS.shtml)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:47:32 PM by toastie » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:15:01 PM »

Do you have to link for the flashback port I would like to try it I loved that game on the snes.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »

i updated my post with links in case anyone is interested in the other stuff too.

you need to patch some of them with your card's DLDI info.
for DLDI patching info check this:

http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:18:01 PM »

Even most of the commercial stuff for the DS is very awesome, and easy to fit into my schedule.

I can't wait to get my R4 and explore more of the homebrew available.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:30:08 AM »

Yeah!! I've been playing Contact. AWESOME. I also bought New Zealand Story Revolution as well, it was buy one get one free! Both awesome games. I'd forgotten how tough NZS was; I remember my dad had it on the Atari. Good times.

Anyhow, my only problem with Contact is that the controls sometimes feel a little sloppy. It's not much of a problem, but it does annoy me just a tad when I'm playing, and I have to spend a few seconds of trial and error aligning myself with, say, a bed before I can use it. Otherwise, the art and sound are both fantastic (even if there are a lot of repeated sprites/textures/sounds) and so far, the gameplay is all good. It's got the potential to be deep, but also it's very much a game I can just pick up and play. (Oh how I overuse that phrase...)

I haven't played enough of New Zealand Story yet to really get an impression of the whole, but I have to say, I'm not fond of the dual/touch-screen gimmicks. Sometimes, you go into an area, and suddenly both screens are showing the same thing, and on the bottom screen it says "Touch the difference!" and you are supposed to walk around, find the difference and touch it while maintaining the upper hand against a swarm of baddies. It's frustrating, and just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the game.

olücæbelel
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:52:02 AM »

I'll buy cyclods evolution next week, can't wait...
-B-
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 01:58:35 AM »

I went yesterday to shopping I was planning to buy DS lite. But... I couldn't find interesting games -  well maybe two or three (new super mario, mario kart, puzzle quest). So after two hours I bought all episodes of Futurama and left DS on the shelf.

Can you tell me what games really rock? I would love some original use of DS, not just poor convertions of some console games.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 02:31:36 AM »

stand-out DS games for me

Advance Wars DS - best Advance Wars by a mile IMO. loads of replay value and tactical choices. Brilliant stuff

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - great little adventure, more of an interactive story in places really. Humorous and fun.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - The original Japanese version of what became Elite Beat Agents (probably also worth getting - I haven't played it) is a really great rhythm action game where you play male cheerleaders whose task it is to raise morale of flagging members of society.

Zoo Keeper - Just match-3 fun. Bejewelled, really.

Castlevania Dawn Of Sorrow - Great CV outing on the DS, all the usual stuff in there. I had loads of fun and it was the first CVB game I could be bothered to play all the way through.

I also loved: Wario Ware Touched; Trauma Centre (hard); Another Code (aka Trace Memory); Meteos; Mr. Driller (absolutely awesome). The wife is playing Lost In Blue and enjoying it. Animal Crossing took a lot of our time away too, but it's better if you have people to play it with.

I also hear that the following games are good: Picross; Slitherlink; Rocket Slime

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 03:23:17 AM »

Lost in Blue is great, besides a few big problems (The fact that my dudes need to eat EVERY 2 GODDAMN HOURS for one).
Personally, I'd recommend Etrian Odyssey. Tough, but great as far as RPGs go.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 03:43:43 AM »

Yeah, that one's on my list.

And of course we have Phantom Hourglass GAME OF THE FOREVER coming out soon.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 03:45:28 AM by haowan » Logged

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 04:17:50 AM »

I really want Puzzle Quest. I played the PSP version for about 20 minutes and fell in love. Cry

Wario Ware Touched was what pushed me over the edge and made me buy one in the first place. A bit strange, looking back, but I think it was mostly because I saw what the DS was capable of.

olücæbelel
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:18:37 AM »

I have LemmingsDS and ChaosDS, and they are both awesome. I haven't managed to get FlashbackDS working yet. Also SCUMM_VM is worth a look if you have the media files to any of those old LucasArts point'n'click adventures, Monkey Island especially.

Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 08:11:11 AM »

The Castlevanias Really rock. They got some mighty sweet sprites. I would recommand if you're a fan of the serie like me Megaman ZX.

It'S good and less difficult than the god forsanken Megaman ZERO GOD that game is hard Angry Angry Angry
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 08:19:45 AM »

KIRBY CANVAS CURSE

amazing game.
one of the few games that actually uses the touch screen in a non-retarded way.
should be mandatory playing.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 09:00:31 AM »

The DS is really nice to work with. We've just started a new project on the console and we're beginning to use it more seriously. The architecture is very similar to the GBA so ports are relatively easy to do. Also, the homebrew dev kits are way better than the one who were available for the GBA.

The only thing I don't like about the DS is the fact that they have not updgraded the 2d engine much. There are more colors but not more sprites displayed on screen. I hope that the two screens count as one Tongue

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »

hey bebop! great topic! (also like your avatar btw, is that a j.otto illustration?)

Heres the great thing about the DS, with most systems, your lucky if there is one killer app, but for the DS, there are tons of games (and non-games) that have spurned me on to purchase the system. Too many in fact, that I have yet to get them all!

You mentioned Contact, and that was one of those 'gotta get' games for me. I was first taken by it's (arguably deliberate) Mother-esque appearance, but the more i read about it and played it, the game took on a very distinct personality of its own. It's far from perfect, since the battle system is at times, boring, and many times even avoidable! still all the post-references ( even mentioning Haruki Murakami) and graphical juxtapositions worked wonderfully. I eat shit like that up.

Another game worth mentioning is Electroplankton.

It's not so much a game as it is a musical toy. Electroplankton was designed by Toshio Iwai a media artist who's made everything from futuristic musical instruments (http://tenorion.blogspot.com/) and fashionable garments (http://www.pixelsumo.com/post/toshio-iwai-rain-drops). My local EB tried to dissuade me from buying this game with my DS, telling me I'd hate it and return it in two weeks. To this day i'll still pop it in and hook it up to speakers while i'm drawing. It's kind of like, futuristic whales sounds.

I even did some small impromptu Electroplankton performances for my friends, especially with the sound sequencer, where i'd record separate beat-boxing samples and overlay them in-game. Elecktro also remains the most handsome ds game i have in terms of packaging. yes the case is shiny, but the instruction booklet is beautifully produced - it's purely illustrated in a naive style and the paper stock is thick and even have somekind of metal flake in it. Most magazines would be lucky to have production values this high.

I played the hell out of Advance Wars DS. It's almost like tetris in that I could probably come back to it endlessly. the only thing that'd make it better would be online play. which brings me too...

'oh god...are you serious???'   
yeup! Online basically skyrockets this game. I can battle and trade my pokemans online - and even use a craigslist-like service to search for what i want. Just yesterday I traded with a friend for the first time, and it was so fun simultaneously chatting with him (we can basically use pokeman as a VOIP). If your interested, take a look at this interview i found with Satoshi Tajiri, I think his heart is in the right place with the games (http://www.pokezam.com/pokemon/stajiri2.php)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:31:34 AM by rey-o » Logged

cheers, rey-o
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »

Hey,

I have a DS, and I think it's one of the best consoles I've ever owned. There's some really amazing stuff for it, and the homebrew scene is starting to produce some really cool stuff (especially now that the flash carts are getting so cheap - you can one for under €40 now). The emulators are still a bit buggy, unfortunately Sad

You're probably going to get the same recommendations over and over again, so I'll recommend something a bit different: By far one of my favourite DS games is a totally overlooked dating simulator called Sprung.

Sprung is the funniest game I've ever played. In a medium where you just don't come across a lot of comedy, I think that's quite an endorsement, heh.

Oh yeah, also, Phoenix Wright is awesome. But you were probably expecting me to say that, right? :D

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 01:54:02 PM »

:S I was considering getting a DS yesterday, but I didn't. Maybe I should reconsider!?

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 01:57:29 PM »

Man, I want Electroplankton. If anyone at the game store tried to talk me out of it, I'd probably slug 'em.

That game is rare as hell.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic