Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:08:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 140093 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »

Did a bunch of work calculating various statistics about coasters. I really like SimCity 5's data visualizations, so I did a quick test how something similar might work for visualizing G forces...

Oh HECK yeah!

This is so much more intuitive than the graphs in RCT. It was nice having separate graphs for lateral and vertical Gs. At least I think that's what they were called. Haven't played with graphs since I started playing RCT again. Guess I better get on that!

Not kidding, though. This is a fantastic update to those games. (Unless it was already a thing in RCT3, which I never got into. It just felt barren.)
castled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »

RCT 1 & 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, this really looks like it could be shaping up to be what RCT 3 should have been all along  Grin

What I enjoyed most about the RCT games was how it was really a puzzle about utilizing space. It was so satisfying to fit the tracks, the paths, the rides, and the scenery together in beautiful and functional ways. I don't know of any game that's captured that quite like RCT. When I think about why that is, I suppose that dynamic probably arises from a few of the game's fundamental goals:
- Route visitors to rides and food in a somewhat logical way
- Build rides around each other and around scenery to raise excitement factor
- Build rides that are physically sound (no flying off tracks/insane Gs)
- Do it all with constrained space/budget/time

I didn't play RCT3 much but I think where it sort of failed was how space was used in the game. It was easy and rewarding to plan the 3D puzzle of fitting rides and paths together in RCT1&2. It looks like this game is going to get those things right.

IndieKylo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »

This is definitely something I'm interested in! I will be watching this one. Keep up the good work!

@IndieKylo on Twitter!
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »

I didn't play RCT3 much but I think where it sort of failed was how space was used in the game

That's interesting! I havn't played it much either, but assumed it used the same proportions as 1&2, so it wouldn't use space too differently...I do remember though that it didn't feel very rewarding. Looks like I'll have to replay it to learn more about what went wrong Smiley

We're still looking for a good name - siskavard suggested Coasters Incorporated, and we like that one! Sounds nice and suggests that it's a business simulation involving theme parks. What do you think?

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2014, 01:01:53 AM »

Holy crap.

This is now at the top of my want list with Mewgenics.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2014, 02:09:14 AM »

It seems you really nailed the look and feel of the original oldschol Rollercoaster Tycoon, even moreso than the 3D sequels themselves did. Very impressive!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:39:55 AM by eobet » Logged

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »

oh my, this is totally insane  Crazy

following this Smiley

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »

Coasters Incoasterated

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »

We added queue lines and fences this week Smiley

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
garret559
Level 0

3D Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2014, 02:39:51 AM »

Redid some shop art and added some new ones, I like this look better than the smaller shops. I have a few more to make, then I'll start to add scenery stuff and more rides.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2014, 05:12:44 AM »

We're still looking for a good name - siskavard suggested Coasters Incorporated, and we like that one! Sounds nice and suggests that it's a business simulation involving theme parks. What do you think?

To me, that sounds like a company that produces these things:

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2014, 06:03:41 AM »

Unfortunately, you're not the first to say this Concerned Might have to think about it some more. Finding good names is hard!

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2014, 06:08:23 AM »

It looks like it's shaping up well!

One concern I have is with how dark the game is. I imagine my eyes would get tired from looking at that for hours on end.

Here's a really crummy color adjustment, but I think it's a bit easier on the eyes.

I'd also personally lower the saturation of the grass, because even in my brightness edit, it's kinda overwhelming.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »

Yeah, it is a little dark looking for a theme-park game.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »

Aster Co.
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »

Oh yeah, that looks much friendlier, thanks! We should take some time to improve it a bit Smiley Havn't really put any effort into the lighting so far (waiting for Unity 5).

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »

Aster Co.

Seconded.
billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »

I feel dumb for not getting this.