Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:50:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 140173 times)
YM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2015, 04:32:52 PM »

10 isn't the max height, right?
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 31, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »

I'm not sure how long contruction would last, but maybe only a few minutes..

What do you think?

It depends - I like watching construction in games like SimCity where it doesn't matter if things take a while, but I don't really like having to wait for important things that I'm building myself as long as I can't influence the construction process. I think if you have to wait and have no influence yourself on how long you wait it discourages rebuilding things. We'd have to do it like in The Settlers or so where you're responsible for transporting resources needed to construct and managing the builders...then it'd be interesting I think. Could be cool, but seeing the amount of work still ahead of us I don't think it'll happen.

I just wanted to know if you could try to make grass a different shade of green like a more darkish shade, because right now it feels like the color is a bit too saturated

Yes. Guests and everything you build is supposed to be pretty saturated, but the terrain shouldn't be.

10 isn't the max height, right?

Nope, no max height currently. It just clips through the cameras near plane at some point :D
Haven't decided on a max build height yet, but looking at the heights of the highest real coasters/towers 150m (~50 units) seems good.

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »

Nope, no max height currently. It just clips through the cameras near plane at some point :D
Haven't decided on a max build height yet, but looking at the heights of the highest real coasters/towers 150m (~50 units) seems good.

Will it be dependent on coaster or just a universal cut off for all structures?
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »

That would be the universal maximum, could still have lower limits depending on coaster type though.

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: April 01, 2015, 07:58:43 AM »

That would be the universal maximum, could still have lower limits depending on coaster type though.

It seems so obvious now that you say it. Roll Eyes
fa341009
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2015, 05:21:00 AM »

Have you allready thought about ways to get people to go to your park?
New attractions attract new people?
Can you invest money in some kind of marketing campaign?
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2015, 05:29:03 AM »

Yeah, we've got a couple ideas for that Smiley
We just started working on some of them and will probably have something to show later this month.

deanr201
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2015, 08:07:19 AM »

Update 39
This week has mainly been more smaller fixes and improvements. One of the more notable changes I guess is that guests don’t spawn randomly anymore (was placeholder code), but based on the attractions in your park and the park rating. Since we’re still using placeholder values for determining the attractivity of a ride it currently spawns way too many guests though. I tried to hold off on doing any game balancing as long as possible, but I think it’d be a good idea to at least start with it soon since we’ve got a couple of systems implemented now that need to work together. We won’t get the balance right on the first try anyways and it’d help to get a bit of a feeling for it.
The new audio tools in Unity 5 are a big improvement over the ones in 4, but they’re still pretty basic. Gordon linked me to Fabric, a huge extension for Unity’s audio functionality. It should do everything we need out of the box, so I’ve added it to our project this week.
The Observation Tower that Garret created during last weeks livestream is in the game now:

Building it works just like last weeks drop tower.
And here’s the timelapse of the stream:

Getting the wooden coasters to look good is probably the hardest out of all rides and I was never really satisfied with them. Here’s an old screenshot from August last year:

And after a bit of work this week they now look like this:

The main issue with the old supports was that they were just textured quads which made them look more like they’re made out of paper than wood, especially when viewed from certain angles. They’ve been replaced with real geometry (paceholder art, by the way) which automatically makes it look better (but we got to keep an eye on performance - seems fine so far though). Their placement is also more precise and they react to terrain changes like the steel supports. There are still some issues but I think it’s going in the right direction now.
deanr201
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »

Update 40
We’ve got a fairly big technical decision to make this week: should we switch to deferred shading?
Deferred shading is a technique that allows using lots of high-quality point lights without killing your PC. That means we could do this (and many more lights on screen at once) with good performance:

And we could also fairly cheaply shade water based on depth:

The water could probably be done without deferred shading, but if we ever want to have the lights we definitely need to switch.
Now, please note that the above screenshots are currently nothing but graphics tests: they are taken in-engine, but it doesn’t get dark in the game yet, and you can’t place water yet either. Water is something we just started working on this week (which is why the deferred shading question popped up now). Lights is something we’d like to do potentially: we’d love having them, but placing them on rides and animating them will take lots of time. Since lights are really just eye candy (although we think they look fantastic) that time is currently spent better elsewhere. Basically, for now we’d only like to keep the door open to maybe add lights sometime further down the road.
Now, the downside of switching to deferred shading is that in Unity it doesn’t work together with the orthographic camera we’ve been using so far. The above screenshots have been taken with a perspective camera with a very low field of view to match the previous look of the game as good as possible so you might not even have noticed that it changed. It’s most noticeable on very tall straight structures like the drop towers if they are near the edges of the screen. Here’s an extreme example:

(Left: what the tower would look like with the new perspective camera; right: what the tower looked like with the orthographic camera used so far).
Tall structures look slightly bigger the closer they get to the camera, which they didn’t before.
Here’s a more normal scene for comparison. Old orthographic camera:

New perspective camera:

(Ignore the shadow differences, they are super blurry as a result of the switch right now. We’re looking into fixing that.)
It looks almost identical, but as you can see we’d still move slightly away from that oldschool isometric look, so we wanted to hear your opinion on this before doing the switch (and no, allowing to toggle between both is not an option). We’ll keep working with it for the next few weeks to see if there are any other benefits/downsides, but we can relatively easily switch back if the majority of you hates it.
Other things done this week
In other development news, I’ve started doing some balance work as mentioned last week. I’ve created a small tool that records the duration of flat rides. The problem is that not all of our rides use simple animations - for example the Swinging Ship uses some simple pendulum physics, so the only way to figure out how long it needs for a round is to let it go and measure the time, and this tool does just that. It’ll also be helpful for testing the animations of future rides more quickly, as I don’t have to boot up the entire game and place down a ride manually just for watching what happens.
Using the duration information I created another tool that gives us an overview of all the flat rides in the game and that calculates some important numbers that tell us how “good” the ride is, like the maximum number of guests who can be served per hour and how much money the ride can theoretically make in that time. All rides got some different stats now. They’ll need further tweaks, but it’s pretty cool to finally see guests prefer some rides more than others depending on their personal taste.
Also did some work on a park rating system:

That greenish quarter circle in the menu bar shows your current overall rating. If you hover over it, you get this tooltip that explains where the overall rating is comeing from. As you can see your park rating is broken down into several categories, and we’ve got plans for a couple more. Happiness is the current average of all your guests in the park. Price and cleanliness are running averages over ratings given by each individual guest as soon as he leaves the park (so they depend on what each guest experienced in your park and their personal opinions). We’re doing ratings in percent because we think that makes it intuitively pretty clear that 0% is the worst possible rating, 50% is neither good nor bad and 100% is the best possible rating.
And, finally, now that we have an idea what water might look like in this game, we just had to add a log flume ride:

We might still change the look of the water a bit and maybe add some visuals to show the current, but overall we’re pretty happy with it.
And that’s it. That was a pretty crazy week Smiley
deanr201
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2015, 11:11:40 PM »

Update 41
We’re working towards the release of the second pre-pre-alpha build for our $100 tier Kickstarter backers now, so a significant amount of time is spent on fixing bugs and finishing/improving unfinished stuff. Overall I’d say we’re in good shape though, it feels like there’s less to do than for the first build. I’m really glad we’re doing these small intermediary releases before the big public Early Access one…it forces us to have a somewhat stable game at all times, which should help to reduce crunch times.
The log flume received its conveyor belt lifts:

We finally added the ¼ height slopes to the track builder. We can also put seperate limits on up/down slope heights for tracked ride types now (notice how the log flume can have steep down slopes, but not steep up slopes). And we can put minimum size restrictions on slope transitions - the high and medium slopes in the back are the smallest possible sizes you can build, but the high slope transition is a bit longer.
I‘ve started turning last weeks water graphics test into water that you can actually build in the game:

Could use some splash effects, but this’ll do for now.
Garret made these nice replacements for the placeholder wooden supports:

And here’s some new scenery - and path tunnels!

Garret had some fun with all the new stuff and built this nice little swamp park Smiley
YM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: April 20, 2015, 01:53:07 AM »

Looks like that log flume goes juuuuuust above that pond, are you going to allow the tracks to go just below the water level so the water they splash into is the actual pond?
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: April 20, 2015, 03:11:53 AM »

looks great. looking at the screenshots, I really don't mind the camera change. lights and water are really nice and just make the visual experience more interesting. could the water surface also be a little wavy? the wooden structures look so much nicer and the test park looks amazing Smiley
fantastic work!

The_A_Drain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 20, 2015, 03:44:18 AM »

Oh wow this is looking incredible, keep up the good work :D
tupikp (Studio5113)
Level 0

Personal Text?

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:02 PM »

The perspective camera is better than orthogonal I think. This project is awesome!
deanr201
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »

Art Stream
Garret will be doing another art livestream next week. Watch his Twitch channel on Wednesday from 1pm-3pm PST to see him create some new Parkitect art.