Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:30:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTitan's Battle (Temp Name) - Movement Prototype added.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Titan's Battle (Temp Name) - Movement Prototype added.  (Read 5618 times)
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »

totally awesome so far, can't wait to see more Smiley

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »

I ADDED PARALLAX!!!!!!!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

so thinking about this, and wonder if its possible to build an explorations game, without using up and down movement. Maybe something like the Odin Sphere games. with doors behind the player. might make the map a built odd though.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 01:12:13 AM »

woooo I tested the prototype, this looks awesome :D
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 06:42:32 AM »

Still working on the level design stuff. I need a way for the player to go from one layer to the other but dont want to add a lot of buttons for going up and down. my current options are:

- Stopping in front of a staircase has the player use the staircase
- Add a button for all interactions
- elevators that move when you stop on them.

I think I am leaning towards the First one, like my original design had.

lionfish
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »

The issue with number one is that if there's an enemy, what's preventing one from going up or down unintentionally.  That would be bothersome.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 09:08:26 AM »

well. No enemies so that solves that problem. The game is strictly about traversing the world to get to a boss battle. Think Shadow of the Colossus.

lionfish
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »

Oh nice!  I loved SoC.  Yeah, then, that definitely would work.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »

I won't probably have any more prototypes for a bit. I am switching the project over from flash to gamemaker. So an engine rewrite is in order. I think it would be cool to get this on a bunch of platforms, so we will see.

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »

as you already have one action verb (other than move left and move right) for attacking, i would consider making up/down movement triggered with that- eg. there are elevator type things you stand on, and they have a handle which you strike with your sword to trigger

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 01:25:55 AM »

That could be good. I could also have locked elevators that activate when you find them adding shortcuts.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »

I am actually thinking I might remove the sword when traversing the world. So the player keeps it sheathed. On getting into a boss battle the player will pull out the sword. So in the world the action button will operate like an action while in battle it will strictly be sword.

lionfish
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 08:56:48 AM »

That might be nice.  I think while traversing, it might be fun to have a button to press.  I know while I was playing WoW, I'd jump everywhere.  Maybe a visual flair of some kind that doesn't impeded movement.  I can't remember if there was one in SoC though.  That was just fun to look at, especially when riding the horse.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:22:22 AM by lionfish » Logged
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 08:58:39 AM »

Yeah I thought about a jump button, but fear it will be missed in combat if I remove it for the battle.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »

So thinking more about the "action" when not in combat and it seems to me that this could really work. I could even go as far as making it a context sensitive button. Like ladder climbing, using stairs, pulling levers, interacting with switches.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »

So this is sort of on hiatus, but not really. I am switching from flash to unity, So I can get it onto more platforms, but still working on the design.

lionfish
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 04:27:09 AM »

Unity is awesome.  Great switch decision!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 06:50:43 PM »

Yeah, the biggest problem I am having now is the 2d movement system. I am use to just doing x +1 but I guess you need to use the transform command now.

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »

looking forward to seeing more on this Smiley

i have found the ex2d unity extension quite good for helping with 2d animations, sprite sheets etc

though i haven't looked into the recent changes/improvements they made to the built-in 2d tools- maybe something like ex2d is not as necessary these days

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »

yeah I was going to try and use the actual Unity stuff. It hasn't been bad and most of my code converts over. I just have to learn all the different terms. I have spent a couple hours reading through the wiki.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic