Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:57:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsY2K - 3D RPG inspired by N64/Mother/Murakami for Next Gen Consoles!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Y2K - 3D RPG inspired by N64/Mother/Murakami for Next Gen Consoles!  (Read 9409 times)
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »

Hello again!
 Cool
I've decided to start a new Devlog for my upcoming game Y2K. I've been working on it since New Years Eve when I created the screenshots I had shown in the mockup thread. I've had this game planned for a while and some of the code done already… but now that Two Brothers is done (and coming to the Mac and Linux sometime after Pax East) I was ready to dive in to a new project.

So I've been wanting to create a modern day(ish) RPG. Obviously the game is inspired by Earthbound and Pokemon. I can't deny that. But those games are awesome so why would I want to deny that!?

Since it's an RPG, it needs to have a story! The story is vaguely inspired by the death of tragic death of Elisa Lam and Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami….

As for the visual style, I was inspired by the amazing work of David Oreily. Particular his animation in Her, The External World, and his Adventure Time episode.
There is a bit of Dragon Ball Z in there too..

Here is my description:

When an erratically behaving elevator claims the life of a young woman, unemployed recent college graduate Alex Eggleston takes to a primitive 1990s message-board to find answers about the death of this stranger. His quest for answers leads to more questions as his research points him to a mysterious van the internet has dubbed the “Death Cab. This vehicular oddity roams the game’s city and countryside. Who is driving it? And despite the death toll surrounding the vehicle, why does no one seem recognize its threat? The “Mother series” and Haruki Murakami provides inspiration for the quirky characters and the through-provoking script. These elements come together in a dramatic and mysterious story rife with emotional depth to bring the player on a journey.

I'm very early in development stages, so there is a lot of concepts in the game that aren't hammered out yet. The general battle mode is a mixture between Dragon Quest and Yu-gi-oh cards (although there are no actual cards in the game itself).

Here is a little ditty I wrote up about the battle mode with all sorts of flowery language:

In combat, the player and enemies can use magic to change the conditions of the battle. One of the spells featured in our PAX demo “Panda-barrier” allows the player to summon a magical stuffed panda that will absorb the enemies’ blows and protect the player for four turns. Since the game will feature enemies significantly more powerful than the characters, the player must strategize and choose spells that will strengthen the characters or weaken the enemies to level the playing field. Other spells can limit the way the characters attack, heal the characters, increase their health, or temporarily grant them special abilities. Different spells can also be combined to make the characters even stronger. One of the spells currently in development will force the enemy or the player to use one elemental-based magic for a set number of turns. This spell can be paired with other spells to increase the character’s health when attacked. The player can also use ”Trap Spells” that activate in very specific situations.

--------
All of that will be fleshed out more later on. Mainly my objective has been to create a prototype build of the game that has story scenes, a musical score, a version of the battle mode (without leveling up and items so far), and a basic dungeon.
I've been working on the prototype for about 42 days now. I hadn't intended on making this my next project, but my team fell apart for what I had planned… so I went with this as it was much easier to create.
I had a booth booked at Pax east with the plans on showing off Two Brothers some more and my other project which fell through… however this demo came together so quickly I'm putting my booth together to really feature this game.

Technical stuff:
Made in Unity 3D!
Graphics: Blender.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:34:31 AM by golemshaper » Logged

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
poe
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »

Too many colors, please make a game about there not being colors instead.
Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »

Brian, the visuals looks really killer. I love the simple lines and lots of color. Since I've seen it in motion I'd like to point out how great the stop motion effects look on the clothing blowing in the wind. When you get a chance make a gif and put it up here!  Coffee

Since Pax is in 2 days why don't you record some footage of the demo and upload that as well?

I'm doing the music for this game and we're trying something quite ambitious. Since battle themes in random encounter based RPGS can get a bit dull after while we want to have a bank of battle tracks that's randomly selected to keep things fresh. I'll be composing a lot of them but I'd like to get some guest composers to come on and do some remixes and stuff as well. The grand Calum Bowen already signed on, so that's a great start!  Wink

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »

Two gifs!

chris is balls
Level 0

hit me up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »

I really want to see more of this! It's a shame the 2d art lets down the 3d art; it stands out because it looks out of place, compared to all the rest. Keep us updated! Smiley

☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »

Why do I see Tales of ... splattered around these screens?  Smiley

Suggestion:
Make the players' avatars in the battle screen in 3D, like there was a camera pointed at their faces. With some animations when they were hit or attack, it should be great.

I don't know if I like the art (it's not that common in the games I know/play), but it's different. But overral seems quite harmonious.

Yeah.
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:29:12 AM »

Very cool. I like the art style a lot too. If you're looking for additional music let me know. Two tracks on soundcloud in my sig, more available on request.

M.

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

Accidentally logged on to my brothers account.... sorry...

@Chris Is Balls: I think there is a bit of disconnect between the character portraits and the in game graphics too. I'm going to spend some more time with them soon and see what I can come up.

@Eyeliner: I didn't even think of Tales! But now that you say it I can totally see it. The graphics are going to be a bit more detailed (although still minimalistic) in the full version of the game. I'll post some polished versions after Pax!

@Mirrorfish. Why don't you shoot an email to [email protected]?  Wink

Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »

Her are some of the tracks I created for the Pax East demo:
https://soundcloud.com/ackkstudios/random-encounter-1?in=ackkstudios/sets/1999-a-reality-odyssey
https://soundcloud.com/ackkstudios/years-to-come-niko-tsakalakos?in=ackkstudios/sets/1999-a-reality-odyssey <--- vocals, rock band, string ensemble.
https://soundcloud.com/ackkstudios/title-screen?in=ackkstudios/sets/1999-a-reality-odyssey <--- serene Title Screen Music.

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 03:50:47 AM »

1-Will this work on PAL N64s?
2-could you make the bearded character a bit more nerd-like, like having him carry a little MLP figure around and talk to it.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »

@Moi - I'm glad you got the N64 vibe thing. Goes back to what I was saying about thinking about the Earthbound 64 that could have been. (Which was basically 3D Mother 3 in the end.)

Anyway I just got back from Pax East and it was fantastic! Had a great booth next to my friends at GamesbyMo and Tribute Games. Got to meet amazing developers and video game fans from all around the world. People really liked the demo! I gave out all 2000 of my posters and most of them went only to people who played the demo... so my head is still spinning from all the foot traffic I got.  No No NO

Here is some video footage of the game in action:

<--- battle

<--- house

I'll fraps the entire demo once I've had a chance to unwind and upload it for download once It's been polished up a bit.

Now here are some pictures from the amazing weekend!

Pixel Stopped by to check out the game after I gave him a poster at his booth(that or he saw me while wondering around and was nice enough to stop by):

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »

Hey guys! Finally recovered from all the Pax East madness.  WTF
I've been working on building more town assets and also reprogramming the battle system. It has a much larger focus on button combos and other Mario RPG inspired things.

Here is a nifty before and after about the town:

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 05:56:40 AM »

I kinda like the coldness of the old one....

Yeah.
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 05:49:18 AM »

Hey guys!
I've gone quiet for a while because some good and bad things have been happening.
First, which some of you might know from twitter or facebook or whatever, my Mom's been seriously ill battling stage 3 pancreatic cancer... and that's been a challenge for my entire family and limits my time for self indulgence. The other is Y2K has found some backing, so I was able to quit my full time job as an animator and move in to an office... as well as everyone who worked with me on Two Brothers. They've all quit their jobs and started working full time on this game. This is an incredible blessing, overwhelming, and really really exciting. Anyway, I'm going to start the develog back up again and talk a bit more in depth about the process we're going through, now that I have nights and weekends to relax... rather than trying to develop a 25 hour ARPG (Two Brothers) from 6pm-1:00 monday through friday, and then 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM sat-sunday...

So let's get back in to the development log swing of things!!
--------

Greetings reader(s)!

I am Brian Allanson of Ackk Studios.

I am the Programmer and Character 3D Modeler (and houses, and cars and other objects…) on Project Y2K (or YIIK).

I am currently working on about 30 things at once, but in an effort to keep this log focused, I will list only a few things I’ve been working on:

Programming stuff:

I had started to re-write the games text engine so that it could read screenplay-formatted dialogue a few months ago. The idea was that the file the actors read from is the same file the game uses to display dialogue. It was super fun to work on, and I only punched the monitor once! Later I may write an entry on that process.

Art Stuff:

I re-designed the hair for our main hero Alex:

OLD:

NEW:

I also gave him a different Two Brothers shirt (of course), and changed his overall color palette.

Speaking of color palette…

This game uses a unique texturing technique that allows colors to be changed rapidly

This is the texture file for Alex (not including shirt graphic):

this is a 32x32 png file.

sections of his model are assigned to each grid in the image.

The model never has to be unwrapped in the traditional way.

This saves me time when modeling NPCs.

Also, any model can use any palette, so variations can be tested rapidly.

Again, I may touch on this in another update. I could write a novel explaining (or justifying) this technique.

I started modeling some more NPC’s a few days ago. I like to work on many at once, so that I can make adjustments to them, or at least see how well they fit together.

I model in blender for this project.

Working on NPCs:

I don’t really use a generic base body when I work. I feel that if I use a body and try to re-shape it, it never ends up looking much different. I tend to think “why change what I already thought was good?”, so to avoid having all of the characters look like clones, I just make them all from scratch. I’ve gotten quite fast at it now.

NPC Closeups:

These models are not 100% done yet, but they are close enough.

Here is a more finished model (although, still not 100% complete)

I probably shouldn’t be showing this, but here it is anyway:

I have nothing to say about this image Smiley

Let’s see….

Oh, yeah, this week I made this:

This is a floor in a factory-dungeon believe it or not.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:01:42 AM by golemshaper » Logged

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 05:55:04 AM »

Especially the last image looks super sweet. Love this!

RK3000 - A city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords.
DevlogIndieDB

twitter.com/primaerfunktion
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »

Especially the last image looks super sweet. Love this!
Thanks!! I'm looking for each major area to feature a large set piece like that. Something that feels memorable or iconic. Something that sticks out as being unordinary or surprising.
That one above (with the planet) is the basement from the first dungeon, located in a factory.
I'll upload a gif of it moving sometime this week, since it's really nice in motion!!

Here is another example of the "set pieces"

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »

Brian Allanson’s Y2K DevLog:

So this is the second log I have done for this project.

It is week four of our full time work on Y2K now.

Before I begin here is a random art render(not in engine):

This week I have mostly closed myself off from the others in an attempt to finish the battle mode. I started re-programming the Battle system after we last showed it off at Pax East to allow it it be more expandable.

The demo we showed off at Pax was only a prototype, so I was able to cut corners in a few places but for a long term game project I wanted a more reliable system to build upon.

I have had three goals in mind when working on this system:

(among several other goals…)

1. Do not rely on animation data to trigger battle events.

2. Make it easy to add enemies and player characters to the battle.

3. Make it awesome.

Goal #1.
We are using unity’s mecanim system for the animations in this game.

In the prototype we used triggers at the end of animations to figure out if a character had finished animating and needed to end their turn.

Apart from being difficult/time consuming to setup, this method also required that I have animation for the characters before programming something. if I wanted a special animation for a certain skill, I needed to make that animation before I was able to begin programming the skill. Or if I wanted to make a new enemy, I had to set up all of the triggers on each of the imported animations. it wasn’t exactly fun.

This was annoying to set up for just the few characters that we had in the prototype, and I did not want to do it for every new enemy needed in the full game, so I came up with another plan…

After much thought on the matter I came up with my current setup:

GameObject Component: «(in this case, a character/enemy 3D model)
-Actor Class « component added to object

-AnimationFromAction Class « component added to object

The Actor Class holds the character stats and other important information. it also calls a function on the start of battle that registers the Actor to the Battle System Manager as an Actor on either the Hero or Enemy party.

The actor component in combination with the Animation from action component is all that is need to make an object work in battle.

AnimationFromAction lets me add one of two type of animations, and let’s me assign a variety of cameras to view that action from at random.
The animation style options are as follows:

-Mecanim

-StopMotion.

The first one being the unity animation system,

the second being a custom system of my own used for getting a more anime/hand animated look in my animations.(more on that topic another time perhaps)

Each animation also has info to enter under a settings pane in the editor for entering in custom animation timing info. it is this info that replaced the old method of adding a trigger to a models animation in mecanim.

I just need to enter the animation time length, and the Actor class uses that information to determine how long to wait between attacking, and showing an enemy being hurt/dodging.

If I wanted to I could add a completely static model and still have it attack and be attacked. I would just add the timing info and ignore the animation input field.

This is very nice for testing out new enemies.
Goal #2.
The easiest thing in unity is also the hardest: getting a reference to an object.

Due to the nature of the Unity component system, you don’t create objects such as enemies or player characters through scripting. You attach components to Game Objects that make them behave in a certain way.

You cannot do :

Actor myActor= new Actor();

in c# if it inherits from Monobehavior( unity components mostly need to inherit from this class).

If you could you would already have a reference to that object, because you just made an instance of that class.

In Unity there is already an object of this class the moment you add the component to the Game Object.

These Monobehaviors allow a reference to be made by manually dragging and dropping a the Game Object into a public variable slot the editor creates for every serializable public field.

This is tempting, but it requires too much manual work to be useful for a game like this.

The battle needs to be able to call in enemies that are not in the battle on the start.

What I do for the battle mode is have these objects “register” themselves to the Battle System Manager as either Hero or Enemy types.

from there, I can get a list of any object that has been registered.

I can sort them by stats, such as speed, hp, or anything else I may need to use when scripting.
Goal #3.
Making it awesome is the plan.

A lot of what makes a battle feel good in a turn based RPG is the timing.

Although many may feel that they wish some battles were faster, I have found that if something happens too fast, the player will miss something and feel confused.

If a message pops up that says that the player has taken 100 damage, and before the player can even read it, another show up saying that they have died, it results in confusion.

That little bit of delay is essential to a good battle feel.

I always found Golden Sun on the Game Boy Advance had great timing. The speed of the battle is left to the player to control by having them press the A button to advance through the text prompt.

Y2K uses over 300 lines of code in the attack function alone.

The speed is driven by an enumerator function which yields for a bit of time after each action takes place.

The general flow is like this:

(pseudo code)

Send Attack request (Current Actor, Target Actor)

Begin Attack.

Request for Current Player Attack animation to play.

Check if target is asleep:

if not

Roll random number for a dodge(insert stats of Current Actor and Target Actor):

if sleeping do not.

Check dodge result:

Dodge happened:

>Show missed target message.

Request for Target Actor dodge animation to play.

wait for a bit of time.

Dodge Failed:

Do damage Calculation(insert stats of Current Actor and Target Actor).

Random Chance to defend against the attack using QTE:

if failed to defend

target gets full blast of the attack.

if succeeds

Target cuts attack down by X% (depends on certain stats/Items)

>Show message indicating block/defence increase.

wait for a bit of time.

>Show message detailing damage.

if another target was selected( if the attack can be used on all enemies for example)

wait for a bit of time.

do attack on the target until all have been attempted.

——

It’s a bit more complex than that, but that is sort of how it goes.

Additional note of interest:

Not wanting to hardcode text strings into the battle mode, and absolutely hating XML,

I made a simple data format for strings in battle.

It allows for custom reactions for specific characters in specific situations, as well as a generic fallback response if no specific response was written.

Some test strings screen captured for some reason:

note that alex is in first person in all of my current tests.

the @ symbol is where the name of the Actor is inserted.

The format is super easy:

[ThisIsAGroup]

This is a string;

this is another;

[Empty groups can serve as comments];

[Another.Group]

Yet another string is here…

and it won’t end without a semicolon;

Well the battle mode is not quite done yet, but I’ll come out hiding next week and check up on everyone else more closely.

Plus it’s sort of hard to hide from people that work in the same room as me Smiley

Until Next time,

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

This week Brigid has been working on reworking Alex's cutscene art. I had updated his design to make him more hip, as well as fix some geometry issues.
When Brigid has first done Alex's cutscene artwork she had done it independently of me, based on one image of Alex's 3D model and a description.
We had been really pressed for time when building the prototype, so there was a bit of a disconnect between the art and the in game models.
We're working to correct that now!

Here is the old version from the PAX build:

Here is the new version:

[/b]Current In game model:[/b]

Old Model:

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »

Been working some on the battle menu things.
Here is the menu from the Pax East 2014 prototype. I couldn’t find it in a screenshot-probably because I was not happy with it:

I have personally always liked RPG’s that have icons in the battle menu, so I decided to go in that direction.

I attempted to make some Icons a month and a half ago, but they didn’t feel “right”.

(It turns out there is such a thing as too much color. )

I also had a version of this with more “normal” colors, but it looked bland.

The icons in this design have too many parts and are not easy to read. I was sick of looking at this, so I decided to make another set of icons:

From top to bottom (left to right) we have the following icons:

-Attack

-Skills

-Item

-Trap

-Defend

-Run

Attack is shaped like a record, because that is Alex’s main weapon.

I’m not sure if the icon will change depending on the current player as of yet. While I think that would be cool, it may be ultimately jarring for the icon to change shape.

Skills are book shaped because I couldn’t think of anything better at the time.

I had the book pages blank at first, but I added the lines that are supposed to be text to make it more interesting/more like a book.

Item is represented by a hamburger.Cartoon hamburgers will always be remind me of the game Bubble Bobble. Wickey-D’s.

Trap is a feature not included in the standard RPG menu. I originally had the icon looking like a bear trap, but it was hard to read, so I made it the classic box+stick+string+Bait trap…I re-used the burger as bait for now. Is there a name for this sort of trap?

Defend is there a better symbol than a shield for defence really?

Run was going to look like a street crossing sign at first, but I added an eye, thought it was funny, kept making it bigger, and ended up with this strange icon. I’m keeping it for now…
The creation process:

The icons are not vector or bit-map drawings.

I 3D modeled each icon in blender. This sort of thing is usually done in a program like illustrator, but I don’t have illustrator on this computer, and I prefer 3D modeling to vector art any day of the week.

Because these symbols are not universally recognized, I of course need a text description of each icon. I added a little tab that extends the icon and describes its function. This tab is only shown for the currently selected icon.

The rest of the interface:

I would show the party stat section of the UI, but I’m not happy with it yet. I will say that it now has gradient bars in addition to numbers for showing HP/SP.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »

following

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic