Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:36:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Onikira: Demon Killer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Project Onikira: Demon Killer  (Read 11874 times)
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

Onikira: Demon Killer is a 2D side-scrolling beat 'em up set in a fantasy feudal Japan where you play a Samurai fighting to stop the forces of the underworld from breaking through into the world of the living.

We're making a brawler that mixes some of the amazingly expressive fighting mechanics of games like DMC or Bayonetta with good old fashioned 2D platformer mechanics, just like grandma used to make:)

The game will hopefully be coming out late this year for PC, but we'll try to post lots of info here as we work and keep everyone up to date.

New Video Trailer

(edit 14th August 2015)

Onikira:Demon Killer is available now on Early Access on Steam

If you want to preview the game please use this link to get a preview copy

You can find out more about the game at http://onikira.com, or follow us on Facebook, or Twitter.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:16:54 AM by roundcrisis » Logged
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

Been following your game a while. It's incredible how much the art has progressed. I saw the new images recently and I didn't realize it was the same game I had seen before.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:00:22 AM »

Great to hear Smiley

The games is actually starting to feel good.
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:48:58 AM »

Hi,

Quick update, we have a new website, it has been live for the last week or so. So if you have been here before you might have seen it.

We are working on a section of level 2, there is a bell, I ll get a screenshot up soon.

Also, we are considering doing a live streaming session soon, what should we show?

Thanks
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »

Another update. We are thinking we probably should change the name. We have a few options and some of those might include Honourbound.

In other news we were yesterday at dubLudo (a Dublin based event) and we had the game there. There were other games being playtested there too and it was really cool to start showing it to everyone. It's a little bit hard to get feedback because it is a bit of a complex game. We need to make the demo easier to grasp

I do wonder if anyone reads this =)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »

You might want to include screenshots and maybe a more detailed description of the game in the OP (features, platforms, release plans, etc.). Could help attract more attention if people check out the thread.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »

Had a question: is this Honourbound the same as the one in this screenshot?

I had seen that game a few months ago, so I assumed that it was the same as your Honourbound

But I noticed that the first game was by BatCat Games and this one is from Digital Furnace

If it is, wow, the art style has improved so much

roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 03:52:05 AM »

Hi there

Well, Honourbound is being made by Digital Furnace games, it is confusing because we are the same people from BatCat Games. We just had to create a new company for boring reasons (i.e money) :D

I m glad you like where we are going with it.

Thanks for the other suggestions too :D
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 02:55:31 AM »

Hi

This week we have been working a little bit more on gameplay, some animations and concepts.

Level 2 is starting to look like it will be a stunning looking level, sad thing is that you probably wont have too much time to check that out because you will be so focused on the gameplay :D

Hopefully we will have a new video showing the moves in details soon.
Cheers
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »

Hi

This week we have been working a little bit more on gameplay, some animations and concepts.

Level 2 is starting to look like it will be a stunning looking level, sad thing is that you probably wont have too much time to check that out because you will be so focused on the gameplay :D

Hopefully we will have a new video showing the moves in details soon.
Cheers
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »

Looks good so far.  I like the idea of taking advanced combat mechanics to 2D ..
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:34 AM »

Hello peoples

We've been polishing some of our attack animations this week. Here's a before and after animation of the main sword attack.

Old
New

Animations in a fighting game are a funny thing. Out of context like this, the old animation looks better in some ways, but when you're playing the thing, the new animations add so much more weight and sense of impact to the moves that there's really no contest as to which one's better. It might be hard to get the full sense of what the moves look like in game, as these gifs are missing effects, including sword trails, and those really help to sell the sense of motion. Maybe I'll post something about those in a separate post:)

roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »

Wow it's been so quiet around here lately! Sorry about that. Here's a random Vine of some development "stuff" to keep things interesting:

https://vine.co/v/Mj9vwl2gjpp

Kratavrat
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »

Great project!

How do you animate your characters?
free form mesh deformation looks great, is it some asset from Asset Store or custom solution?

Andrew
roundcrisis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the words:) We actually don't use Unity at all. We use a lil 'ol open source engine called Duality. So no asset store for us. We're pioneers in a barren land:) Barren of assets, rich in...barreness. Anyway, we use a tool called Spine for our animations, with a custom import pipeline to get them into Duality. Our wizardly character animator Tom is so good with Spine now that he's fooled you into thinking there's FFD going on in the images we've posted so far, when in fact there isn't:) Some of the actual FFD stuff he's done, which we haven't shared yet, is honestly mind blowingly cool. It looks completely 3D. We'll be sharing some of that stuff very soon, so keep an eye out:)

Cheers
Andrew
Adam_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 05:31:24 AM »

Slightly off topic, but after switching to the "Digital Furnace Games" label for Honourbound / OniKira, will you ever return to the "BatCat Games" one for other games, or is it completely dead now? While the new company title isn't too bad, I'm still a little worried because it appears to have 100% less cats in it.

A little bit more on topic, this thread really deserves an update. Any chance we can get some more awesome imagery, maybe coupled with some technical background? Wink

DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »

sweet looking game!

Scylla
Level 0

Providing you with simple, polished, and fun games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »

The art style looks absolutely amazing on this! Very shiny and glossy Smiley

Please vote for us on Steam Greenlight!

Every vote counts!
Onikira
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 10:10:37 AM »

@Adam_: BatCat Games is alive and kicking and our future games will almost definitely contain 100% more cats. Updates are on the way:) Would love to do some technical posts...so I will:) Watch this space.

@DevWithoutACrew and @Scylla, thanks very much:)
SimplyRivet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »

As others have already said, the style is very polished.

I'd love to see an example of some game play, if it's possible.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic