Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:31:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNo More Probes - Survival / RTS - [ Greenlit ]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: No More Probes - Survival / RTS - [ Greenlit ]  (Read 13240 times)
atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 12:22:16 PM »

DevLog #8

Hi all,

Long time since my last post, but I had to take a break from the project for almost a month during which I tried to relax and work on other smaller projects.

Anyway here is the latest updates:

- worked on the Car for my first Bonus Stage. My intention is to create several of them where I will change the pacing of the game by introducing new mechanics. I want to revisit some of my old favorite games.

- added a new enemy robot with the working title "The Boomer". Once it is near the player or killed, it will charge up, them explode into four diagonal projectiles. Getting really frantic when there are more of them on screen.

- added camera shake when an enemy robot is killed near the player
- dynamic shadows during night
- new evade skill for the player ( still working on it )

BTW I am getting close to my public alpha build, so if you are interested in the project and want to try it, please do let me know to send you a link.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:44:12 PM by atmos » Logged

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »

DevLog #9

I present you my latest "Obstacle" - the Totem

- By making full circles around it ( native american rain dance ) you can charge it up, up to 5 times. After that the next circle will trigger a thunder attack:

- if there are robots on screen it will hit one
- if it is raining and there are robots on screen, it will hit two of them
- if there are no enemies on screen, there is a 50/50 change for the thunder to hit you ( the player ) or the main generator charging it with 30 energy

There are only a couple of things I want to implement before I share my alpha build with you guys.
After that I will focus on my Greenlight campaign.

BTW can anyone point me to a good article/ thread about that?

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »

The art looks great.  I can't really tell what's going on from that first gameplay gif, though.  My interpretation is it's a RTS but you only control one man.

Hi all,

I've updated the art for one of the obstacles, the "Magical Chest"

As someone trying to get better at pixel art, I'm curious why there's a gradient behind these chests. 

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »

@tieTYT: Yeap, it is a mix between rts and survival with some roguelike elements. You control the main character who can gather resources from the junk piles. With them you can build various defense gadgets and try to survive the day. Buy new gadgets, upgrade the new ones and etc.

The gradient is there because I didn't liked how it looked with dithering effect. I know it is a kind of cheating when it comes to traditional pixel art, but come on.
Although the white gradient is coming from compression ( I guess ) There is no such thing in the original frames.
Not sure if that helped, but If I can share something else just let me know.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »

Oh I get it, it's not a yellow to white gradient, it's a yellow to transparent gradient.  Now I understand why you used that. 

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

DevLog# 10

- new obstacle "Lava Pool" is now working
- if you are in close range to the pool it will shoot a Lava Ball at your location
- standing over the Lava Pool or the splash from the Lava Ball will damage you or your enemies by -1 every 1 sec

- new enemy "Beholder"
- Beholder will shoot two beam shots ( projectiles ) once he is leveled with the Y of the player
- beam shots can hit the player or other robots

- rgb channel separations effect is used when damage is taken by the player

Now all I got to do are some small fixes and my first public build will be ready.

Savick
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »

This looks like adorable, challenging fun. Well, I mean, it's not super cute or anything, but the way the player runs around makes me smile, heh.
dirak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »

The art style is very endearing. Fantastic work, can't wait to try it out!
atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 06:42:26 AM »

Hi all,

Long time since my last post, but I decided to take a brake from the project due to some burnout.
Anyway, now I am back and here is my latest update on it:

DevLog# 11

- added "Evade" ability to the player. While in this short state you are invulnerable to attacks.

- new animation for robot destroyed

- new fx for gathering Junk
- new particle for collection processors and gems

- fixed bug where unit will get stuck during stage 3
- all robots now share a common family for their health, thus making them more ease to pick

- update ingame UI art with FX

- combined two of the upgrades for Canartche-1000 and increased the damage it deals
- added new ability for Canartche-1000 to be able to shoot rockets

- player will get a hint when the bag is full of resources
- fixed some minor bugs

dirak: Thanks. I will make sure to send you a link when it's ready.

Savick: Hahahahaha, yeah he has some personality to his run animation. Thanks mate.

I gave up on the idea for a full tutorial for now, as it will take me too much time. I will focus on a single screen describing the core mechanics of the game, so new players can understand what is going on in the game.

Cheers all

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »

Hey,

just want to drop by and say thank you for your kind words in my own DevLog. Really appreciate it. Even more so, seeing this great game here. I love the character and the setting. The white beard works quite well to focus the eye, however the clothes blend too much with the background for my taste. Is it intentional (e.g. camouflage)?

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »

@danielgoffin Well, my initial idea was to make the top to look like an army jacket, but maybe I should try a darker tone for better readability. Thanks for pointing that out. And I have to say I very much like what I have seen in your DevLog.

DevLog# 12

After spending some time on making a tutorial I decided that I will leave it for future update. I guess making a good tutorial isn't an easy task.

- created a "How to Play" screen explaining some of the basic mechanics of the game

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »

At long last my first public Alpha Build is a fact. I will be more than happy to read your feedback guys.

You can visit www.nomoreprobes.com

Play it in Browser

or download it from Here
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:00:58 PM by atmos » Logged

bounds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »

Great seeing you back working on this, I was unable to get the demo up and running under Wine but I might just need to fiddle a bit, no Linux builds in the pipeline I gather ?

folks out there might think I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!
jovanmilic97
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 04:57:44 AM »

Man,this looks sick.From arts to animation,original idea,retro feel.Just wow.I ve seen on twitter you are going to Steam Greenlight,good luck with your campaign!
EDIT:I just found out you have set up your Greenlight.Voted yes,of course!Here is the link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=389058177
atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »

@bounds Hey, sorry for the late reply. The engine I work with can export/ create a linux build, but I haven't tested it. If it is OK with you, I can create one and give you a link?

@jovanmilic97 Thank you mate, you are the first one that commented on the GL page! Much appreciated.

As you may already know I've started my Greenlight campaign. If you like what I do, or just want to help a dream come true go Here  and vote for the Resistance.

Meanwhile I will get back to work as I am preparing a new build for the alpha. This time there will be a proper tutorial level.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:40:02 PM by atmos » Logged

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »

Played the alpha, here's my thoughts Smiley

1) artstyle is great :D
2) controls are hard to figure out, the control panel isn't that clear either. When screen of statistics comes (end of wave?) you don't know what to press and space gets me back to menu? (did I clear the level?)
3) I'm not a big fan myself of having to build on a specific spot
4) it's fun and got me playing a while already, keep going Smiley

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »

@Juwdah: Thanks, for playing and for commenting.

2. There will be a proper tutorial level very soon. Will do some changes to the 'results' screen in a future update

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »

Devlog# 13

Build 1.23.00 is live.

new
- tutorial level added
- updated all animations for the main hero for better readability
- now you can go back to Map menu by pressing 'Backspace'
- added visual feedback for getting resources -  '+1J, +1P, +1E'
- new animation for video feed
- build navigation icon will flash when pressed

fixes
- you won't be able to repair turrets that are at max hitpoints and thus go negative processors

changes
- controlling build menu with gamepad moved from d-pad to left and right bumpers
- movement will cancel build orders
- removed orbital strike obstacle when the timer goes over 120 sec. for a wave

I plan for the next update to add a build meter and do some work on the sound front. There are a lot of sounds that are missing and adding them will make the game a bit more understandable.

In the meantime if you have some spare time, pls go and play the tutorial ( first ) level and let me know what you think of it.

Cheers

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 03:50:45 AM »

DevLog# 14

Here is what's new in Build 1.23.02

new

- new animation for winning a level
- new animation for losing a level
- game will let you know if you won/ lost a level

soundfx