Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:48:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)  (Read 145449 times)
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »

Here's what I should probably do.

1, My old monitor was miscalibrated, and as a result most of my art was kind of light and gray (paintings, CC, BQ). I couldn't see the really dark colors well so my blacks could be dark gray and I didn't notice. When I thought I did a dark gray, it was acually much brighter. On my iMac the dark detail colors in these BQ shots almost pops into the front. An indication that I did it too bright is that there's room for another, darker BG (the radiant gradient checker things), and that was not supposed to be the case. My dark details were supposed to serve as a noninterfering wall decoration.

I've prepared a PS curve and need to run it on all GFX. For some reason I can't save .acv with CS3 so I've put it as an adjustment layer. This is how it looked when I painted it, but it might look too extreme if you've gotten used to the grey look.
http://androidarts.com/balding/

...I think there's a way to automate/batch process in PS.

2, Come up with a standard palette. 32-40 colors or so. It might help to make the look more consistent.

3, Come up with the archenemies. I think we talked about Stolas.

4, Character glory shots / art.

5, The sewer gfx is too gritty with the bricks, needs to be more solid, I think. There could be gritty brick parts though, but it just gets noisy when they're all over the place. Should be like music, coming and going.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:05:35 PM by Arne » Logged
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »

Congrats! Can't wait to see what people come up with!  Beer!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »

Wow, this is really excellent.

Hey, thanks!

Here's what I should probably do. ...

Agreed!  Wink

I'll try and adjust the color levels tonight.

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »

Awesome stuff!
Lots of fun to be had in those files.

I made a bit of a modification to the death text generation (hope you don't mind me posting it):
Code: (text_death.lua)
function DO_FIRST(thisObj)
setUpObject(
"NONE", -- Animation File
4, 3, -- Top height, Bottom height
4, 3, -- Left width, Right width
DIR_RIGHT, -- Direction
OBJ_GUI_TEXT, -- Object Type
STATE_IDLE, -- Default State
10, -- Health
0, -- H Max Speed
DEFAULT_MAXSPEED_V, -- V Max Speed
LAYER_PLAYER -- Display Layer
)

--math.randomseed( os.time() ) --This seems to make the randomisation worse.... :-/
guyNames = {"Guy", "Balding", "Guy Balding", "Mr. Balding", "G.P. Baldingcraft"}
deathAdjective = {"gone", "dead", "deceased", "gone from this world", "no more", "absent from this mortal coil"}
partingAdjective = {"Farewell", "Goodbye", "Bye bye", "Oh no", "Adieu", "Adios", "Bidding ye good day", "Bon voyage", "Bye", "Cheerio", "Sayonara", "So long", "Tata"}
randName = math.random(table.getn(guyNames)-1)+1
randDeathAdj = math.random(table.getn(deathAdjective)-1)+1
randPartingAdj = math.random(table.getn(partingAdjective)-1)+1

theText = {guyNames[randName] .. " is " .. deathAdjective[randDeathAdj] .. ".", partingAdjective[randPartingAdj] .. ", " .. guyNames[randName] .. ".", "And so ends the tale of " .. guyNames[randName] .. ".", "Game Over, " .. guyNames[randName] .. ".", guyNames[randName] .. "?  GUUUYYYY!"}
randText = math.random(table.getn(theText)-1)+1

displayText(theText[randText], 128, 96)
end
I Just replaced the DO_FIRST function in text_death.lua in the scripts directory, so that's all I've shown here.

Also, love seeing the monocle-beam attack in action. Fantastic!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »

I made a bit of a modification to the death text generation (hope you don't mind me posting it): ...

Mind you posting it?  That's what this is all about!

Hahaha, randomized Game Over text -- brilliant!  Thanks. Smiley

It's so exciting to see content coming from the community finally.  Bobo made a level last night, as well.  So very cool.

EDIT: Oh man, the first time I died I got "Balding? GUYYY!!" :D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:38:55 PM by BMcC » Logged

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 08:37:54 PM »

I made a bit of a modification to the death text generation (hope you don't mind me posting it): ...

Mind you posting it?  That's what this is all about!

Hahaha, randomized Game Over text -- brilliant!  Thanks. Smiley
Heheh, sweet. I might see what else I can do some time this week. Never used Lua before. It seems pretty flexible though... If I wasn't already working on integrating V8 into my engine, Lua would be my next choice!  Gentleman

I also can't wait to see what else comes out of the community!  Cool
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »

I think it would be nice to be able to link rooms together. This seems suited to a Jet Set Willy/Metroidvania type game.
I don't know how to script anything though, so I'm not much help here.
Or there's probably already the ability to do this and I'm just stupid.

Corpus
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 11:53:39 PM »

Hey. HEY.

High fives all round.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »

I've said it too many times, but once more will not hurt...

I love you, McCartin  Kiss
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 12:51:10 AM »

I think it would be nice to be able to link rooms together. This seems suited to a Jet Set Willy/Metroidvania type game.
I don't know how to script anything though, so I'm not much help here.
Or there's probably already the ability to do this and I'm just stupid.

It is already possible to do that, yeah, but BQ is actually going to have an asymmetrical, nonlinear World Map (based off Arne's concept).  So, like, beating a stage will open up 1 or more paths to other stages, there will be global game items and secrets you can use, secret paths and branches, multiple stages connecting to different maps, etc.  So the player can really make their own way through the game, avoid maps that are particularly hard for them (perhaps by beating a few easier ones), or opt to face challenging maps for certain rewards.  It's gonna be cool!  I wanna have that up and running in its basic form for Milestone 3.

Corpus: YES.  *goes for it*

Andy:  I love you too.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 12:55:34 AM »

Is there any way to switch tiles from BG to FG? I can;t seem to figure it out Sad
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 12:59:40 AM »

Is there any way to switch tiles from BG to FG? I can;t seem to figure it out Sad

I think I put that in the Basic Instructions... Lips Sealed

But if not, it's Page Up to set to Foreground and Page Down to set to Background.  And pressing 0 & 9 toggles the display of the BG and FG layers on and off (which makes it very easy to draw each layer accurately).

Dragonmaw
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »

I found a bug! TUrns out garbage from the chutes doesn't affect players on ladders.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 01:21:12 AM »

Hrm, not exactly a bug -- the Attack objects the chute drops collide with the tops of ladders (as part of the standard collision test).  Perhaps the particles don't do this?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »

Hrm, not exactly a bug -- the Attack objects the chute drops collide with the tops of ladders (as part of the standard collision test).  Perhaps the particles don't do this?
Yup. The particles continue through instead of being blocked.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 01:25:54 AM »

Word, yeah.  The attacks actually have more code support at the moment -- they can handle proper gravity and collisions and stuff.  I think the particle collisions might be more basic (i.e., not using the general collision function).  I'll fix that.

But it works for the attacks, so that's good!  They're practically the same structure as the particles.  There isn't currently an object using this, but you can create projectile Attack objects with animation files (including a destruction animation).  When I first tested this, I had Guy shooting fireballs in an arch, destroying huge groups of goombas.  It was fun.  Tongue

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 03:21:32 AM »

Word, yeah.  The attacks actually have more code support at the moment -- they can handle proper gravity and collisions and stuff.  I think the particle collisions might be more basic (i.e., not using the general collision function).  I'll fix that.

But it works for the attacks, so that's good!  They're practically the same structure as the particles.  There isn't currently an object using this, but you can create projectile Attack objects with animation files (including a destruction animation).  When I first tested this, I had Guy shooting fireballs in an arch, destroying huge groups of goombas.  It was fun.  Tongue
Shocked Cool
Must see this!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 03:23:31 AM »

I removed it. Sad

But it's easy enough to do!  (Once the Scripting Guide is up, at least.)

It just amounts to a single (maybe double) line spawnAttack() function, with certain parameters. Smiley

Dragonmaw
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 05:37:51 AM »

Here's a map I made in about 30-45 minutes. Feedback please!

Garbage Vents
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 06:53:14 AM »

Congratulations on your release! I can't wait to take it within me!

Alas, I am at work all day today, so it'll be a little while until I have the pleasure. D: The yearning is great!

twitter: @docky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic