Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:11:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)  (Read 145966 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »

Wow, another community project I should've watched more often Wink
Fantastic work! My dear Brandon, we should talk more  Smiley

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »

We should!  I miss ya.  Do you have any chat clients?  I hope you'll hop on IRC at least.

See you at Gamma this year? Smiley

Latest BQ News: Weight triggers are now done (and fun). Hand Thumbs Up Right

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »

Let me know when you've finalized changes to the formats and so forth. I can then update BqEd for you.

I like turtles.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »

Ah, thank you, but I actually wound up piecing together the conveyors myself!  (Sorry!)
Cry

Naw, that's cool.
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »

I took a shot at doing Guy's carry animations. They're mostly just copied off the basic ones, but I think they will look alright with some speed adjustments and whatnot.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2009, 05:00:51 AM »

Let me know when you've finalized changes to the formats and so forth. I can then update BqEd for you.
Will do.  The only change, I think, is an extra value for each tile on the map.  Just ignore it when loading and save it as zero. Hand Thumbs Up Right

I took a shot at doing Guy's carry animations. They're mostly just copied off the basic ones, but I think they will look alright with some speed adjustments and whatnot.

Oh, right on, thanks.  Xion actually committed to the animations last night, but I will certainly fall back on these. Gentleman

MINOR PROGRESS UPDATE:  I added an umbrella before going to bed last night.  It's awesome.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2009, 08:23:25 AM »

We should!  I miss ya.  Do you have any chat clients?  I hope you'll hop on IRC at least.

See you at Gamma this year? Smiley

I should try IRC. And I will definitively go to Gamma Smiley

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »

I cannot wait for the next build!

GO BRONDON!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

Who, Me?

Grin

"PROGRESS" UPDATE:  I was on a major roll yesterday, but I may have rolled too hard, 'cause I couldn't sleep at all last night.  Just tossed and turned.  Felt totally burnt out today as a result.  I'll be back at it tomorrow, though.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2009, 06:47:58 AM »

PROGRESS UPDATE: An umbrella pick-up you can use to float safely down any distance, weight triggers that toggle switch values (like those red on/off tiles) when there's an object on them, and a locked door that opens with the key.

Today I'd like to add bombs, mines, and destroyable tiles (at least).  But I don't think the standard cartoon-style bomb would read well on the dark backgrounds.  (Unless it were purple or something?)  Xion suggested a bundle of TNT or something.  If someone could pixel that, that would be great.  (It should be less than the size of one tile.)

Other pixels that would help: An improved umbrella (that's the extent of my pixel abilities, I'm afraid), an improved look for the shooter (it just needs a tweak, really), and some explosion particles for the bomb.  (They should start with a flash, then turn to smoke particles.  Or maybe those could be two separate animations.  Either way, solid colors would be best, so they could overlap nicely, like the dust.  Yarr.)

Also!  I've been using the goomba sprite Derek made ages ago as the test enemy, but it's high time we start adding BQ-specific baddies.  For this update I've been adding foundational game stuff, nothing too special, so I wouldn't need much for the enemies either.  Some ideas:  A goomba equivalent (of course) with a simple walk animation (should fit nicely inside one tile, so Guy can jump on it), a little robot with a plow that could push Guy and objects around and off ledges and stuff, maybe something that patrols walls and ceilings and shoots (this could be more of a machine), and... I dunno, little hopping guys that could wake up and charge Guy as a group, falling off platforms to their doom.

Just thinking out loud here.  Tongue

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2009, 06:59:58 AM »

Little hopping guys that sleep when the level starts is awsome. They could wake up by the thud when you land after a jump, and then run towards you. That way we could create cool puzzles where you have to sneak around the level quietly to get to a place where there's a pit between you and the little flock of sleepers, and then jump to lure them into a fall.

Even more awsome if they were blind, just charging for the position of the latest noice, and when getting there they sit around for a while and listen until they fall asleep again.

How do you want the graphics? Just png? Any special colour restrictions or anything?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2009, 07:13:33 AM »

Little hopping guys that sleep when the level starts is awsome. They could wake up by the thud when you land after a jump, and then run towards you. That way we could create cool puzzles where you have to sneak around the level quietly to get to a place where there's a pit between you and the little flock of sleepers, and then jump to lure them into a fall.
Haha, this is a great idea!  A blind enemy would fit the Dungeon theme pretty well, I think. Smiley

How do you want the graphics? Just png? Any special colour restrictions or anything?
You could send them as PNG, but they're BMPs in the game.  Just use magic pink (255, 0, 255) for the transparency.  Look at the sprite sheets for reference: Each frame must be the same size, so give yourself a bit of padding, and it's organized by frames going horizontally, and animations stacked vertically.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »

Just for kicks I added portals (like in the game Portal).  With a little refinement, they could really jive with the rest of the game.  But for now, I must keep moving.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »

Added a little treasure chest.  Kick it for the item to pop out.  And if you ever lose track of the item, kick it again and it'll respawn and pop out again.  (This should help protect some of the more complicated puzzle levels.)

Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

Wow this is looking really great. If I had any pixelling skills I would be using them right now!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »

Hey, thanks.  Smiley

Xion came through on the dynamite, so I'll probably add that tonight.  The interactions are starting to get interesting...

MaloEspada
« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »

So many amazing ideas together...
Keep it up, i'm really looking forward to it!!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2009, 02:23:11 AM »

Ciao I'm back!

So I animated that enemy we were talking about yesterday. I made it like something inbetween a bat and an eyeless dog, kinda. For some reason I imagine it as a limpdog, but if anyone has a better name for it, shoot.

When the level starts the limpdogs sleep in small groups on the floor(maybe I can make a roof-hanging animation for it too). They wake up if you make loud noices, and then they charge for the place where the noice was made. When they get there they stand around for a while and listen, maybe they react to even weaker noices when in this mode. After a second or two they fall asleep again.

Sorry about the spritesheet, it just hit me that you propably want the pictures on a grid. Want me to upload a new one?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:26:20 AM by JLJac » Logged
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2009, 04:59:24 AM »

So many amazing ideas together...
Keep it up, i'm really looking forward to it!!
Cool, I will! Grin

Sorry about the spritesheet, it just hit me that you propably want the pictures on a grid. Want me to upload a new one?
Whoa, this looks really cool!  Would fit in the dungeon perfectly.

Re: The Sprite Sheet -- Yeah, I'd need you to reformat it.  Each frame needs to be the same size.  (And try to center the character as best as possible, so I don't need to do weird offset stuff.)  Other than that, it looks really good!  The animations are arranged properly.  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »

JLJac, that imp-dog is absolutely adorable.  Kiss
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic