Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:23:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)  (Read 146081 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2008, 04:22:33 PM »

Yeah, that would be good... but I don't think Allegro supports Gamma ramps!  (Could it be time to switch to SDL + OGL?)

You can manually ramp your pixels when you load them, especially if you're using 8bit surfaces.

With Allegro?  Or would I need another library?

I just played this for a while - I love it! I haven't played a game like this in twenty years or so... and dying from a fall is something I haven't had to worry about recently.  Is there any fall-proof items? It would make it much easier to design levels around it.

I love the monocle laser most of all. 

What would I have to do, and to whom, to get a Mac version of the game?

Wow, thanks! Smiley

Answers: Yes, there will be many items for level designers to play with.

And a Mac build will come. Wink

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »

Hm, I thought it was pretty clear in the post and instructions file, but I guess I'll have to say it again!  This is just an engine test -- the gameplay is entirely incomplete and most of the maps are just ripped tilesets.  Your criticism amounts to: "The stuff you haven't started working on isn't done yet." Lips Sealed
Well, most of my criticisms weren't map-specific (except the lava pit thing, but that really bugged me). I figured most of them were only temporary things, but IMO redundant feedback is better than no feedback.  Gentleman

That's also in the Instructions -- just press Enter on the Death screen.
I know, but it still takes a few seconds before you restart the level. For difficult games, instant reloading on death saves a lot of time and frustration in the long run. It would be nice if this was eventually an option.

Re: The Three Tile Jump -- It was a big part of the original design that that jump be tough.  It's actually easier now; you can sometimes clear it entirely, without grabbing... But I might increase his run speed a little bit more.  (I just liked it when you *always* had to grab that ledge.)
Really, this one's probably fine as it is. I'm just bad at precision-based platforming (never got the hang of Mega Man).

PS: I had read the instructions, but just wanted to point some things out on the off chance that they were helpful. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »

Nah, it's cool!  I do appreciate the feedback. Smiley

Re: Insta-restart -- It's in, now!  Check the main page for the updated game.

Re: Platforming -- I also tweaked Guy's movement in the latest build. Wink

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »

With Allegro?  Or would I need another library?

I've never used Allegro, so I can't say, but it probably gives you direct access to surface pixels for all your images, so you just pipe em through a class that runs a ramp curve on each pixel. IM me if you need help with that.  Well, hello there!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2008, 05:32:23 PM »

IM'd!

This is going to increase the load times rather significantly, though, isn't it?

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2008, 07:04:53 PM »

Build updated with some minor improvements.  Hacked the lifts into working better (for the moment), added to some of the levels to avoid potential confusion, and started the generalization process with the lifts (now you can create Lift_Right or Lift_Left for the same script, flipped in the given direction).  Also included Xion's new map.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2008, 06:05:59 AM »

I've decided (read: Derek convinced me) to damn the torpedoes and release BQ to the public sooner rather than later.  Any feedback you can give before I do this, please give now!  I'm going to squeeze in a little bit of tightening before I pack up the public build.

I think, instead of big updates, I'll release fairly frequent ones.  Any time a big addition is made.  Next up: Generalized Main Game objects.  Then a load of new abilities for Guy.

One love! Gentleman

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2008, 06:39:05 AM »

BMcC i love you  Kiss
now i'm able to play it on my lappy too using the new modes! And it's great!  Beer! Coffee Beer! Beer!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
increpare
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2008, 07:01:48 AM »

Ah!  A happy christmas this will be indeed.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »

Great! :D I think frequent builds makes more sense for a community thing like this! ^_^

twitter: @docky
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »

There's a bug where if you enter the victorydoor while on a ladder balding disappears but the level continues and no victory message appears.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »

now i'm able to play it on my lappy too using the new modes! And it's great!  Beer! Coffee Beer! Beer!

Hand Metal LeftGrin:handmetalR: RIGHTEOUS.

Ah!  A happy christmas this will be indeed.

I sure hope so. Smiley

Great! :D I think frequent builds makes more sense for a community thing like this! ^_^

Cool, glad you think so. Smiley

I'll work on getting an update out in the next day or so.

There's a bug where if you enter the victorydoor while on a ladder balding disappears but the level continues and no victory message appears.

Hm, I think cuz the Door tests down and Guy tests up.  They might not sync up sometimes.  I should just make them both test all directions...

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2008, 09:25:01 AM »

I am so sorry for being an idiot Durr...? I don't know anything about this project and should propably not express any kind of opinion, but I downloaded the build and tested it and here's what I though: Amazing! The pixelart and animation are outstanding. The sound was great, and when he first crawled through that little hole in the upper floor in the menu level I was absolutely amazed by how smooth he moved. Instead of feeling like a moving block he actually felt like a living creature, which is rare in platforming games. Also the engine seems extremely solid. What I didn't like was that he was so slow, and that his jumps were so weak. Also the falling damage seems a bit too unforgiving, and damn it's hard! Sure you have been over this already though, it feels like there's nothing that has not been said about this project.

Really looking forward to this, keep the good work up! Smiley
increpare
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2008, 09:47:35 AM »

Really looking forward to this, keep the good work up! Smiley
You can contribute as well if you want Grin
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »

It's not too hard. Roll Eyes In fact, it got too easy Lips Sealed when Brandon slightly increased Balding's speed/3-tile jump.
The game was designed to be difficult - so if it's hard, but fair and hard, but beatable - then the game is living up to the design. Grin

We should also consider the fact that this game is still far from complete:
By the time it's "done" (even though new things will still be developed for it), there will be well thought out level progression. Which will carefully introduce the player to the more difficult maneuvers or traps etc.
Some of the maps may include items that make things easier for Guy - perhaps a jet-pack so Guy can control his falls and jump higher and further. Well, hello there!

I suggest anyone who is finding it too hard; try finding some of the easier maps. BootCamp is fairly easy. It still introduces the player to the dangers of long falls, although the safe path is fairly easy to see.

You can also contribute by creating some maps you feel are more appropriate for the beginner - these may be integrated as is or in a slightly modified fashion. But that would be awesome, wouldn't it? Helping create this amazing game! Wizard
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

@JLJac: Wow, thank you!  And yeah, increpare is right, you should definitely contribute! Grin

Re: Difficulty --  What mike said! Smiley

And also, once more abilities and items for Guy are in place, and more objects are in place for designing "proper" (i.e., more puzzle-oriented) levels, it shouldn't feel so hard.  At least, the platforming shouldn't.  For example: in the next little update, Guy will have the ability to wall-slide, slowing his descent, allowing him to fall farther.  I've wrestled with this sort of thing for a while (I really liked having to be super-precise about his jumping), but I think, with the rest of the gameplay in place, fall damage should only be a piece of the puzzle.  (The wall-slide feels real natural already!)

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2008, 04:04:03 AM »

So, is there any levels in particular that people would pick out for getting started?

Also, is there the ability to browse the maps directory in game, or do I have to manually type the names in?

Is there any plan to change the falling animation to indicate when critical speed has been hit, and the small lead up to this?  This could help visualise the safe distance that can be fallen.

twitter: @docky
Dragonmaw
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

So, is there any levels in particular that people would pick out for getting started?

Also, is there the ability to browse the maps directory in game, or do I have to manually type the names in?

Is there any plan to change the falling animation to indicate when critical speed has been hit, and the small lead up to this?  This could help visualise the safe distance that can be fallen.
It actually already does this. When Balding begins to fall belly-first (instead of feet first) then he will die if he lands.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2008, 06:49:15 PM »

Hm, I guess the Yellow Warehouse theme, cuz more objects match that at the moment.  But that's going to change rather soon.

You can type in a maps name from the Load Map door on the Home screen, or add the map's name to the Map List in the root folder, which let's you quick-launch it with F5.

The fall animation's been in the game for a while, yeah.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »

THE LATEST:  I took the holiday off, but I've just now finished adding a reasonable amount of fun new stuff.  All that's left for the next update is the first batch of Global Objects.  So, should be within the next day or so! Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic