Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411422 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:14:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 94982 times)
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »

Manbaby??!! Shrug

Post those barrel scripts and welcome to simple "man"-hood  Tongue
andreasng
Level 0

Lead Animator at Playdead - creators of Limbo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2009, 01:19:14 PM »

shakey -> wow  Shocked

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »

Awesome stuff happenin' here!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Blink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2009, 05:02:01 PM »

Lord Tim: Really cool stuff you made, especially the dreadnought. I was wondering if it could either lose its attack or gain a laser attack to differentiate it from the current robot.

I was going to add some kind of machine gun, but decided to wait until the official GUN Lua script was ready, so I could use that as a base. I might try making it myself even, if I get some time.
PhantomTollbooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

As Promised, a Puzzle Level. I'm pretty happy with it, its not as attractive as some other levels, but that isn't my strong suit. (Any constructive criticism, or mean criticism, is welcome).

PhantomTollbooth's Pretty Good Puzzles 1 (PTPGP1)

Download me here!

Titling it "1" does imply future levels in a series, which I would absolutely LOVE to do... with the combo of school and work I'm going to keep my hopes low though. I set the deadline for the next level for 1/19/2009. (you can quote me on that one too!)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2009, 11:57:08 PM »

... But i'll agree that for the game maker thingy, scrolling is a absolute must. I mean i know i wouldnt use it if it didnt have scrolling.  Tired I'm the kind of guy who wants to jump to the moon without having to change screens.  Wink ...
Oh yes, most definitely!

... In the meantime, I'm going to create some levels based on the Warehouse levels, so stay tuned!
*stays tuned* Well, hello there!

... I'll come back when I've got an awesome level. ...
Righteous, I can't wait!

... Also, would it be possible to make levels interconnected to each other?
Definitely!  Like Lord Tim said, with loadMap(). Wink

I'd love to see downloads in the future for user-made "Episodes" of BQ.

... It's starting to get a lot more functional now, so that's always a good thing.
Sure is!  Great work.  This tool is going to be super useful.  I'm hoping its completion will line up nicely with rounding out the gameplay elements.

Hi guys, I got a bit more BQ stuff for you! ...
That looks slick!  It's cool of you to make another background for people to use, too.  :D

I need to put up some organized To Do lists for Myself and the Community.  Things like backgrounds and tiles can be used over and over by anyone.  It's nice seeing that stuff.

Been a lurker for a long time, but decided to register *just for this*!

It's awesome. The game, the engine, the puzzles, no words can describe it. You've got another fan. ...
Heck yes!  Welcome!  And thank you. Smiley

...* Rolling barrels. ...
Mmm, yeah, that would be neat.  (And easy to do!)  It's funny, I thought you were making a Donkey Kong joke at first.  Like, "You should add a giant gorilla and some barrels.  Oh, and a little flame guy.  And a princess."  Tongue

Heck yes!  Welcome!  And thank you. Smiley

... Manbaby??!! Shrug ...
Haha, yes.  I hope you find the Mancrib before your second post. Wink

Awesome stuff happenin' here!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Blink Hand Thumbs Up Right
Yeah!  Makes me feel fuzzy and warm inside. Kiss

As Promised, a Puzzle Level. I'm pretty happy with it, its not as attractive as some other levels, but that isn't my strong suit. (Any constructive criticism, or mean criticism, is welcome). ...
Right on!  A man of his word -- I like that. Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'll check this out ASAP.  Gotta get something taken care of before I can play the new levels.  But it looks to be good!

The next update will have a bunch more gameplay elements to work with, including a number of puzzle elements. Wink

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2009, 01:39:28 AM »

Quote from: BMcC
Right on!  A man of his word -- I like that.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Hey yeah, lookin' good! You just might want to close up to top and the left side with some wall tiles so it looks more like it's all happening in one room.

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

The playfield wraps, so some of the stages have open edges.  I kinda dig seeing that.

My biggest criticism is: You use tiles that are for the background as platforms.  It's a bit inconsistent with the rest of the maps.  Might confuse people.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »

Yo!

I added a To Do list for myself for the next update (which I'll try and edit as I go along), as well as a General Community To Do list, which should give people an idea of what they can do to help, to the first post of this thread!

Let's do this! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:29 AM »

Hey Brandon! Love everything so far, although gameplay is insanely unforgivingly difficult - maybe try to tone that down just a touch somehow?

Here's my meager contribution to the project: a working quit [X] window button with Allegro:

Code:
volatile bool g_Quit = false;

void QuitHandler(void)
{
    g_Quit = true;
}
END_OF_FUNCTION(QuitHandler)

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    // Enable the exit button on the window
    LOCK_FUNCTION(QuitHandler);
    set_close_button_callback(QuitHandler);

// The rest of your main function here; check if g_Quit is true and exit the game loop if so

return 0;
}
END_OF_MAIN();

And a proper app icon for the window: Replace any mention of icons with this line in your visual studio project's resource file "blah.rc", and add the icon to your project as a resource.

Code:
ALLEGRO_ICON            ICON                    "baldingicon.ico"

Keep up the awesome work!

- D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:15:26 AM by Data » Logged
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2009, 02:12:48 AM »

Hey, man!  Yeah, gameplay isn't really in place yet.  But soon!

Haha, thanks for the code.  I'll plug it in.  You must have many Allegro secrets from all the CC polishing...  Wink

Thanks again for the contribution.  And congrats on the nomination, aah! Beer!

P.S.  Did I tell you I used the Debugger for the first time recently? :D

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »

Hey Brandon! Love everything so far, although gameplay is insanely unforgivingly difficult - maybe try to tone that down just a touch somehow?

I foresee this as being a point of contention among BQ editors/players... Myself, I think the difficulty is already pretty much perfect, maybe even a tad too easy. Tongue Maybe something like respawn points would help this, along with other things that indirectly alter the difficulty.. This way it would be left up to the level editors. (It looks like maybe you're already going to do something like that, since there are those save disk objects laying around?)

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:55 AM »

Well, later versions will bring two major things that will settle this issue: A non-linear map screen (with a logical progression) and many puzzle elements.

So, hardcore players (Bobo) will be able to tackle the super-challenging stuff, while more puzzle-minded folks (me) will have the option to take an alternate route if they'd like.

(The disks are just pickups, btw, for putting that system in place.)

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2009, 12:48:06 AM »

I've done more work on the editor as of late, but nothing new and exciting just yet. However I need to a little more information about the map format BMmC. So far I understand the first 28 lines of the map, with the first four lines describing tile set, music, border and background, then the next twenty four lines contain the tile data. I'm a little confused as to exactly what the single digit number on line #25. My current guess is that it is the total number of the entity entries, or is that just coincidental right now? Lastly, I'm trying to decipher exactly the entity data ... it seems to be "Script _ ? _ ? _ ?" ... I am a little unsure as to exactly what th last three digits mean. I do assume that one or two of them regard the location and rotation?

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2009, 02:05:57 AM »

It is the total number of objects, yes.  Smiley

Each next line goes:

Object_name X_position Y_position Start_value

(The Start Value is only used for generalized objects.  Like, setting the direction of a Laser and stuff.)

PhantomTollbooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »

Due to unexpectedly arriving at work 5 hrs early (...) the level is finished early. Unfortunately I can't upload it until I get back to the apartment but once I do I'll screenshot it, upload it, as well as the slightly revised version of level one. General Descripto:

Phantom Tollbooth's Pretty Good Puzzles:

PTPGP1: A crate moving puzzle, fairly straight forward, couple places you could get stuck and possibly a dangerous place or two (but that seems unlikely.) Puzzle elements are rudimentary, but hopefully provides a nice intro...

PTPGP2: Introduces Switches, Doors, and wrap around screen. A bit more dangerous due to some possible fatal falls (and a falling crate) but still heavily puzzle. No twitchiness required. Puzzle is a bit more in depth, requires a step or two thought in advance and lack of thought could result in the inability to complete the level, but over all its fairly forgiving and allows for backtracking.

As always... constructive and deconstructive criticism is appreciated (although analysis of my levels from a feminist perspective may make me raise an eyebrow... deconstructive criticism... *cricket*... anyone?... *cricket*...)

Also, I probably just need to get my hands wet in scripting, but wasn't the victory door supposed to require collection of all "coins"? or is that a near future addition? I'll see what I can do given time if its not implemented yet.

Await my next post! anxiously!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:25:15 AM by PhantomTollbooth » Logged
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2009, 08:54:49 AM »

Yeah, I think it would be cool to to have lua scripts tied to scenes, like how the backgrounds/music is right now, so that we could control the win conditions a little better.
PhantomTollbooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »

Now Presenting!!!

Phantom Tollbooth's Pretty Good Puzzles 1-2

PTPGP1: v2 (minor, mainly cosmetic edits)

PTPGP2:
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »

Seems like most of the work I've been doing has been for things behind the scenes. As of now, almost every text written for the editor is localized (except for the error messages that can occur before the localization module is created!), all icons are stored as png's outside the editor (fallback icons are embedded in the exe, so if the png's are corrupted/missing, the editor isn't going to complain too much), all misc images are stored outside and finally a config file for those who would like to tweak BqEd a little further (such as Bq's directories and the editor's colors).

Currently the editor scans BQ for tilesets, backgrounds, music, borders and scripts which you can use to make your maps with. Just got the scripts section done today, and hopefully next week you can actually place them in maps.

I like turtles.
acid_head
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2009, 02:06:55 AM »

Hi,

Just found out about this project, seems like a very nice idea, and the community driven development is something I particularly like. I also saw that there was talk about porting the code to Linux and since I am familiar with Allegro and Linux thought I could have a try at it. I am not aware of the kind of licensing of the project or any source code repository, so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic