Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:58:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 94961 times)
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 03:04:10 AM »

I found a little problem in the NoSpinZone map. When you try to climb up with those pipes, but you go too far in them, you die.

I believe that is intentional... part of the challenge.  Beer!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 03:58:03 AM »

I can't do much at this moment, but I'll be playing around with this later! I already figured most of this stuff out, so hopefully I'll be making something awesome soon.

Cool. Smiley  I'm amazed by how quickly people are picking this up!

I've updated the scripts so that there is no wait time after death, but you still get the death message (the modified version I posted in another topic).
The message displays somewhere in the middle of the layers, just like the "kick" and "monocle" messages...

Uh oh, editing Guy's script (or Include_Objects) is kind of a no-no!  Just because it could get real rough for me trying to handle adding to, balancing, and updating him.  But that is some adept scripting!  (You sure you've never used Lua before?)  Right now, if you press Enter on the Death screen, it immediately reloads the level, so it's not as important to have the death text load in the same map, but in the future, maybe Guy would create Victory/Game Over objects that handle this stuff.  Actually, that's probably the route it will go, when there's more Global game information being recorded.

Also, looking at the script, you should just define variables in-script -- using the setFlag() function is actually for specific overrides and whatnot.  Changing those values could easily break how the object should work!

But still, neat!  I'm including your custom death text in the next update.  (Of course!)  Oh, also also: The text for an object displays on its Display Layer, set in its setUpObject() function (in DO_FIRST).  Cheers. Beer!

Churned out a really rudimentary Mirror's Edge tileset and test map. There's no real flair at the moment, will be fixing that.

Woo hoo, the first user-made tileset! Grin

Did I include instructions for the Tileset Grabber in the Instructions?  If not, I should do that.  You can just draw your levels in whatever program and rip the unique tiles that way.

I found a little problem in the NoSpinZone map. When you try to climb up with those pipes, but you go too far in them, you die.
I believe that is intentional... part of the challenge.  Beer!

Yep!  He did that on purpose, because he's cruel. Wink

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 05:06:14 AM »

I've updated the scripts so that there is no wait time after death, but you still get the death message (the modified version I posted in another topic).
The message displays somewhere in the middle of the layers, just like the "kick" and "monocle" messages...

Uh oh, editing Guy's script (or Include_Objects) is kind of a no-no!  Just because it could get real rough for me trying to handle adding to, balancing, and updating him.  But that is some adept scripting!  (You sure you've never used Lua before?)  Right now, if you press Enter on the Death screen, it immediately reloads the level, so it's not as important to have the death text load in the same map, but in the future, maybe Guy would create Victory/Game Over objects that handle this stuff.  Actually, that's probably the route it will go, when there's more Global game information being recorded.

Also, looking at the script, you should just define variables in-script -- using the setFlag() function is actually for specific overrides and whatnot.  Changing those values could easily break how the object should work!

But still, neat!  I'm including your custom death text in the next update.  (Of course!)  Oh, also also: The text for an object displays on its Display Layer, set in its setUpObject() function (in DO_FIRST).  Cheers. Beer!

Okay, first; Fail object created: Scripts_GuyFailFaster.zip
 - I have included an original version of INCLUDE_objects.lua so you can overwrite my modified one if you already used it. Also included is a NEW guy.lua which creates an instance of the fail object instead of loading the fail map.

Thanks for the help BMcC! Having quite some fun with this!

Next; yeah, I'm sure I haven't used Lua before  Tongue. I do tend to pick up programing languages fairly quickly though.  Undecided
I'm interested to see how the global flags and such work in INCLUDE_objects.lua... I noticed some strangeness while I was playing with it earlier.

oh, and Pressing enter after death will load back into the level instantly (just like the original). ;-)

I'll tackle the victory object next. (copy & paste  Tongue)

Thanks again  Beer!
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 05:09:05 AM »

Oh, and (sorry for the double post) - I noticed /n and /r don't create a new line in the text used in displayText() Cry
Is this a possible feature? Or should I just work something else out?

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 05:12:51 AM »

Awesome stuff!  I'll incorporate this ASAP.

And yeah, sadly not possible at the moment...  Might figure out something later, though.

You could have the Fail object create YET MORE objects, though, with their own text strings...  The Animation Editor in Maps/AnimationEditor has objects passing information to other objects, if you need an example.  (Just define an object type over 2000 and have the other objects check for that, and you should be good.  I could help you with that later, since the documentation isn't up yet.)

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 05:19:37 AM »

Cool. Cool

Yeah I thought about searching the string for /n chars and spliting the string there to put into two displayText()s but that's getting more complicated than I can be bothered with for now.

Although, the concept of spawning more and more objects is a cool idea... Perhaps I can use that for the victory object? Smiley

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 05:57:43 AM »

Fail and victory objects added. Objects can be created at appropriate times...

Scripts_FailWin.zip
I believe I have included only the necessary files.  Wink
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 08:11:20 AM »

Sweet!  I've got them in the updated build. Wink

Thanks!

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »

Sweet!  I've got them in the updated build. Wink

Thanks!

Awesome. Cool

I liked the additions you made. And the colors are much improved!
Thanks for the new build!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »

Oh man, I forgot I adjusted the colors.  I wasn't sure if they were actually better, but I'm glad you're okay with them!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »

Made another map; A Minor Detour
Man this is fun! Grin

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »

Dang, another balls-difficult map!

You use the objects and tiles in ways I wouldn't expect -- good show! Gentleman

And I love the trickery in the design.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

Thanks, I just beat it all the way through for the first time a minute after I uploaded it, so yar, I think this one's tougher than my other. And I just realized the sideways spikes don't work. Fixed version at the same link.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 06:19:14 PM »

Download'd and include'd. Wink

Dragonmaw
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 09:25:11 PM »

Updated the Mirror's Edge Tileset and map. Now has flair, ladder objects (ladders and pipes), and a background! The map is METest, for those who want to give it a whirl.

Mirror's Edge Tileset
Dragonmaw
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 04:56:44 AM »

So I went through all the default maps and tweaked them so they are fully playable with victory doors. I also made a new maplist that incorporates all of the maps in a (roughly) normal order. Give it a download!

PS: Make sure to back up your maplist and Mario tileset. Contains a slightly different Boboland (one where I added flair and didn't keep the tweaking Bobo did to make it easier) So you might want to back that up too.

Maw's Map Pack v0.1
medieval
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 06:19:11 AM »

Found a bug. I was climbing a ladder and went down until I was practically standing on the head of a robot. I moved along with the robot even though I was technically still climbing.

Also, a stage-specific glitch: in BoboLand, the ladder at the bottom right is on the foreground.

EDIT: Actually, not just the bottom right ladder
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:30:54 AM by Yama » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 06:35:47 AM »

Found a bug. I was climbing a ladder and went down until I was practically standing on the head of a robot. I moved along with the robot even though I was technically still climbing.

Also, a stage-specific glitch: in BoboLand, the ladder at the bottom right is on the foreground.

EDIT: Actually, not just the bottom right ladder

A fixed version of Boboland is in the map pack Smiley
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »

Ride The Robots

Just made this one.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »

Your map isn't working for me, Mr. Yes - it's just closing BQ entirely when I try to load it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic