Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:40:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 94527 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »

Oh sweet nectar, a new version! Grin

Hey, instead of BQed wrapping the BQ folder, could it work from within the BQ folder?  I'd like to pack it in with the next big update...

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2009, 11:31:49 PM »

Hey, instead of BQed wrapping the BQ folder, could it work from within the BQ folder?  I'd like to pack it in with the next big update...
Well, BqEd actually does this by default right now. It does actually have a path that you can set eventually ... I just need to enable it!

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: March 03, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »

Far out. Smiley

Some things I noticed today:  I'd like it if the tile and script browsers stayed above the main window, like the Tools.  Whenever I moved the map I had to maximize them again.

Also, when the main window's maximized and you open the script or tile browsers, they appear to the right of the window, off the screen.  (At least, I think that's what happened.)

What else... tool-tips would be nice!  And maybe text at the bottom of the window or something that immediately shows what button you're over.

Also also (sorry, I haven't slept in a while) -- how do you delete objects and how do you rotate tiles? Embarrassed

Wahooney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »

I agree with BMcC, Tile and Script panels as always on top and more discoverable tools, tooltips, etc.

I'm pretty new to the whole BQed thing so I may just be missing some know-how, but I can't even make ladders or floors (which I did easily with the built-in editor).

So... the short list:
1. Floating Tile/Script panels
2. Discoverable tools / Editor Documentation
3. Continuous painting of tiles (one-click painting gets tedious when drawing long floors, walls, etc.)

Besides that the editor is looking pretty cool so far and I hope it keeps evolving   Beer!Hand Shake Right
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »

I'd like it if the tile and script browsers stayed above the main window, like the Tools.
Alright, this will be implemented in the next version. By default those windows will be set to stay on top, but can be turned off when it is implemented.

Also, when the main window's maximized and you open the script or tile browsers, they appear to the right of the window, off the screen.  (At least, I think that's what happened.)
Ahh yes. I shall fix this for the next version.

What else... tool-tips would be nice!  And maybe text at the bottom of the window or something that immediately shows what button you're over.
I'll try to add these for the next version.

how do you delete objects and how do you rotate tiles?
You can't at the moment. Again, I will implement this in the next version.

Continuous painting of tiles
Ahh yes, a good usability suggestion. I shall add this in the next version.

All of these issues have been logged on Mantis by. I'll try to keep it updated between here and there, but it'll be easier if everyone with bug reports or usability suggestions could sign up and report their issues there for me Smiley

The link to Mantis is, http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/mantis
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:59:05 PM by Snakey » Logged

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2009, 08:27:11 AM »

Snakey's got his work cut out for him! Big Laff

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »

guys, i love you both  Panda

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »

TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS, ECLIPSE Kiss

I'm picking up the one-and-only KYLE PULVER from the train station tomorrow.  We're (probably) going to use the BQ engine to make a small game, which means improvements to the engine for all! Hand Metal Right

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »

We're (probably) going to use the BQ engine to make a small game, which means improvements to the engine for all!
Cool, look forward to the changes you'll be proposing. Hopefully it won't mean I have to change the editor code too much. Looking forward to the improvements.  Smiley

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »

Nah, it should be fine.  At some point I'll externalize more for the editor, but if anything it'd just be extra script functions and such.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »

Fixed a bunch of things. Still haven't added the rotation tool. I've created a preferences dialog but it doesn't do anything at this point. I'll let you change a couple of things later on, the most important one being where BQ is actually stored. Another minor revision next week, similar time!

Download available at here.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:22:29 AM by Snakey » Logged

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »

Snakey, comin' at you, like a beam, like a laser! 

Who will stop the progress?  Beer!

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2009, 12:30:37 AM »

When BqEd starts up for the first time, it will ask you to locate where BQ is on your system. You can also change this later in the preferences dialog. I also plan to let users change other properties stored in the config file like colors.

I like turtles.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2009, 02:25:09 AM »

Added a music playback function so that you know what music will be used when playing the music back Smiley

Upon this feature being added, I've also decided to add preview options for the other things too. That way you can view the tileset, border and background before you pick 'em (and subsequently unable to change them later).

I like turtles.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2009, 12:44:54 AM »

Finished creating the preview windows for the images. The tileset preview window is arranged as a square grid, otherwise I'd wind up with some ultra wide window! The preview windows can be closed by just clicking on the window contents. Makes it much easier to decide what tileset, border and background you'd like to use now.

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: March 15, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »

Lookin' great, man.  Post-GDC I'd like to quickly put out a BQ update.  (There are a bunch of new script functions and bug fixes and objects people would like.)  I'll externalize the game-specific engine stuff then too, so this dope editor can be used for any game made with it. Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »

Download here

• BqEd will now check if the Balding's Quest folder within config is valid. If it is not, it will ask the user where it is.
  • Implemented rotating tool.
  • Implemented flipping tool.
  • Added more tool tips.
  • Tweaked some of the icons appearance.
  • Installer created, included are Visual Studio 2008 Redistribution and OpenAL. These will ask to be installed when installing BqEd.
  • Added preview options for Tileset, Background, Music and Borders when the user creates a new map.

Finally got round to updating the web pages for BqEd.

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2009, 06:14:25 AM »

Download'd!  Will try this out tonight. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Also, Happy Patrick's Day.

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »

First of all let me tell you guys how great this project is and how much I appreciate the effor you guys have put into it. And now for the series of questions I'm going to fire at you guys Tongue

I tried quickly reading through the thread (didn't go through all 16 pages tho, silly me) and was wondering, what is the game made with?

SDL, OpenGL, Allegro, or? And what kind of setup is the scripting language using. I'm more than fascinated by the "openess" and ease of development. Can you share on these things? Like what it is made with and how the scripting side communicates with the actual "program".   Hand Thumbs Up Right

#BIG EDIT !:

If I wasn't actually being so hasty and shootting back and forth with everything I would realise to calm down and read the ACTUAL Bald thread instead of the milestone 3 one and see that it's mainly made with Allegro. Yay for that! Smiley

All my questions are answered. I'll go away now :# thanks lol.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:40:57 PM by skyy » Logged

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »

Hahaha, glad I could help. Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic