Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:15:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 94522 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm... just wondering... does summertime mean everyone's gonna contribute more or less to BQ?...
Well, I think it'd be impossible for everyone to contribute less, so... Tongue

The current plan is dedicate free time on my trip plus August to BQ, culminating in a rather large update. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »

Nice. Summer is for fun, so I'll see if I can get off my arse and script those rolling barrels (which are a forgotten classic IMO). The only unfun part is getting started unfortunately since I'm a chronic procrastinator Smiley
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2009, 02:38:41 AM »

August will be the Month of Balding.  My goal is to increase the Fun Factor by a great deal, and lay down the foundation for the proper Quest.  (And make a lot of toys for map makers to use.)

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2009, 04:56:51 AM »

August will be the Month of Balding.  My goal is to increase the Fun Factor by a great deal, and lay down the foundation for the proper Quest.  (And make a lot of toys for map makers to use.)
And also add a blowdryer and a magnet!
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »

Do you seriously have any spare time after fixing up Balding's Q?!  Shocked

Seriously... all the activity I've seen here (almost.. there was Snakey's thoroughly impressive work on the editor) has been you writing and cleaning the code.. (which was pretty damn clean to start with  Tongue)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2009, 02:21:07 AM »

The code's a mess, actually!  There's refactoring in its future.  Mostly 'cause I'd been using BQ to test components for my big OpenGL framework.

But August will be all about sweet, sweet content.  I don't usually like showing people BQ as there's virtually no gameplay yet.  I'm going to fix that.  (And maybe make a string of levels with a nice learning curve.)

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »

That'll be a lesson in trying to infer streamlining of the code from the running of the program and as a layman  Tongue That or you're being overly self-effacing ^^

The possibility of a set of levels with a smooth learning curve is very exciting for me. I'm not anywhere near as capable a platformer as those who've created custom levels. They're some wonderful examples, but my platforming skill is inadequate to fully appreciate them Tongue
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2009, 05:31:28 AM »

Haha, I'm right with you. Wink

Also, the "real" game should be more about puzzles anyway.  I didn't really make him a bouncy platformer character.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2009, 05:59:45 AM »

Eh, sometimes you gotta live with the messy code.  Noir

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »

It seems to be my lot in life. Tongue

John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »

I've never once posted in this thread, but I've been following the Balding's Quest development for almost two years now, and I just wanted to say that I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

When it finally comes out, I will spread word of Balding throughout my group of varied acquaintances. Like I usually do.

Also, "Word of Balding" sounds pretty cool. Like an D&D obscure sourcebook spell, or a civilization from Dwarf Fortress.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2009, 07:38:20 AM »

How about World of Balding, the MMO sequel to Balding's Quest?  It's a proven fact that games titled "World of ..." are like mega successful. :D

John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2009, 11:40:08 PM »

World of balding, huh... *imagines*

World of Balding, with:

Incredible amounts of character customization!
  -Ten outfits to choose from at the start, with more to find!
  -Solve difficult puzzles and gain skill points! You guys like skill points, right?
  -Choose up to twenty different hairstyles, all of them balding!

A massive world to explore!
  -More than twelve different zones!
  -Rolling hills, expansive plains, and beautiful mountains accentuate the landscape!
  -None of which you will ever see, because the game takes place underground!

Deep PVP action!
  -Choose from character classes like Balding Thief, Balding Wizard, or Balding Knight!
  -Battle against your friends and then complain about Wizards being overpowered!
  -Attack your friends only indirectly! Battles may last up to three hours!

Coming soon to a retailer near you, this is one MMO you won't want to miss! Immerse yourself in...

WORLD!
OF!
BALDING!!!!!!
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »

Thats not bad John Lee  Cool
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »

'bout Balding Bard, or Barbarian? All allow Added Alliterative Appeal!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: August 24, 2009, 05:24:32 AM »

Baldbarian :D

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »

Wow, I can't believe I put off trying this until now. This is really cool!

In just a brief amount of time I made a little variant on the normal Goomba, that will fly around when kicked, and can crush other Goombas, with absolutely no trouble. The balance between ease of use and versatility is amazing. Excellent work!

You can try out the little edit here. It won't replace the original goomba or anything. It's fun for a little bit.

Definitely going to do something with a little more depth next. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this next!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2009, 04:37:27 AM »

Hehe, awesome!  I'm glad you were able to get something working so easily.  I tried to make the scripting language as simple as possible, but I guess it's still a bit intimidating for people.  (I really need to write more documentation, argh.)

Very soon I'll put out an update with more script functions and various improvements.  For instance, "Accel" isn't used anymore.  I found it was redundant and actually a bit broken.  So it's all add/set/get Vel.  Makes movement logic a lot cleaner.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »

So hey, Balding's Quest (and the edge compo) is featured in Swedish gaming mag Super Play. Who wants a scanslation?! (which I can do once I get home from school tomorrow) Coffee

Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2009, 06:05:44 PM »

I'm interested; but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm more curious to know what they say about the EDGE(tm) competition Durr...?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic