Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:36:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 94535 times)
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 31, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »

Uh is this still being worked on or is there a hiatus?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: March 23, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »

So hey, Balding's Quest (and the edge compo) is featured in Swedish gaming mag Super Play. Who wants a scanslation?! (which I can do once I get home from school tomorrow) Coffee
Oh, um, yes please!  That would be awesome.

Uh is this still being worked on or is there a hiatus?
Hiatus... sort of.  I mean, I'm not working on it at the moment, but there's plenty of stuff the community could be doing.

darkwolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 07, 2010, 12:48:13 PM »

*grins* well, now I have Snakey's excellent editor, and have written down all the scripting stuff, I shall be doing some work on level design and pixel-art over the weekend and whenever I have a spare mo, and shall keep everyone posted!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: April 07, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »

*grins* well, now I have Snakey's excellent editor, and have written down all the scripting stuff, I shall be doing some work on level design and pixel-art over the weekend and whenever I have a spare mo, and shall keep everyone posted!

Sick, I'd love to see this game get finished. Smiley

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: June 03, 2010, 03:49:01 AM »

oh dear, I remembered that I nuked my whole site. I'll see if I can BqEd back up there again.

I like turtles.
darkwolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 03, 2010, 07:15:52 PM »

'salright, so far I have received zero suggestions on what the game *needs*, and am now a game reviewer as well as an OU student as well as a jobhunter, so there's seemingly no rush.
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2010, 11:10:02 PM »

Progress! Oh wait I'm just playing too much Minecraft.

Edit: <.<

http://filesmelt.com/dl/MinecraftBQ.rar
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:48:07 AM by Lord Tim » Logged
PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: November 23, 2010, 01:46:12 AM »

I just discovered the project and find the engine pretty comfortable to play with. If any, walking/climbing transitions could be made more consistent.

I have the feeling, however, that the handling of tile types could be improved and made easier to use (in the Lua scripts). What I'm frowning at is
Code:
if  getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_LADDER
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_PLATFORM
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_RED_ON
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_YELLOW_ON
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_BLUE_ON
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_VANISHING_PLATFORM
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_CONVEYOR_LEFT
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_CONVEYOR_RIGHT
    and getTileType(getPosX(), getPosY() - getTopH() + 3, 1) ~= TILE_ICE
then ...
Where it'd be easy to forget one of the line, which result in some object that do not behave as expected on some objects. One trick I've learnt from Epic Megagames Xargon sources is to assign a set of properties (e.g. CAN_WALK_ON, DONT_FALL_THRU, NO_MONSTER_THRU etc.) to each tile type so that you only have to test e.g.
Code:
if properties[getTileType(...)] binary_and DONT_FALL_THRU then ...

Also, as a final remark, I point out that some levels aren't complete and other looks complete although I can't complete them (can't enable a switch in Dungeon01, for instance). Either Guy manoeuvering instructions aren't complete yet, or it would be nice to include some hint to the tester whether a level is playable or WiP.

Player1
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 14, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »

Just logged in again after like infinity just to see if this project is still on. I'm one of those people who would really love to see it finished because has so much style it hurts... : )
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #289 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:53 PM »

Is this project still being worked on? I remember looking at these threads before I had an account and thinking it looked incredibly sweet.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »

Basically, all it needs is community involvement. The game's basically ready, it's just lacking maps. There's even a suggested structure for the game world.

I don't remember if it's quite ready to have those maps put together into a cohesive game (a start, finish, transitions, possibly a map screen... I forget) but it's close.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »

In that case, should we put up an announcement somewhere? I'd certainly be up to making maps; I'm sure many others would be ready now! Smiley
Zaphos
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »

Maybe we should make a mini event of it?  Like call it a competition and have a deadline and do a forum poll for best map.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 01, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »

I would surely do at least one map.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2011, 04:05:35 AM »

Looking back at the front page of this thread I may've gotten carried away a little. A traditionally playable game (the start, finish etc. I mentioned) might be a bit further than I'd thought but it doesn't significantly change the returns of community involvement.

Community (General) To Do:
Look through the folders of the game -- you can (and should!) add to anything in there!  But here are some ideas:

BACKGROUNDS
Background images can be used by anyone for any map.  I'd like to see at least one or two unique background images for each tileset theme, as well as a number of general backgrounds that could be used across themes.  If you can do graphics, this is an easy place to contribute!

BORDERS
Borders are similar to Backgrounds, in that they can add flair to any map.  Re-coloring the existing borders and drawing new styles would be cool to see.

SOUNDS/MUSIC
I'd like to maintain a consistent style for the game's audio, but I'd be willing to work with people to remix their tracks to fit.  Each theme needs at least one song, but by the release of the final game, I'd like to see multiple songs per theme.  Also: Game Over and Victory tunes would be appreciated!

TILES
This is a great way to contribute!  Making new tiles for the existing themes and creating new themes helps everyone.  (A lot.)

MAPS
Maps are also always awesome.  And the more familiar folks get with the Editor and game, the better and better they'll get.  It's also a good way to gauge what needs to be added next.

SPRITES
With the generalized objects, it's now super easy to create new objects, or re-skin existing objects.  Drawing alternate sprite sheets for the game's objects and effects to match the different themes is great place to start.

Animations for Guy tend to also be very much helpful!

SCRIPTS/OBJECTS
Make Child scripts of the Generalized Global Objects (usually in ALL CAPS in the Scripts folder) to make exciting alternate objects.  (For example, once the generalized walking enemy script is in, you can simply fill out a list of parameters to turn it into practically any standard game enemy.  No logic necessary!)  But also, I encourage you to make new objects and enemies!  I can generalize them later to be used by anyone, but I'd love to see strange new elements added to the game.

Objects, scripts, levels, tilesets, maps...
There's a huge amount that talented people can do to contribute and the game is sufficiently finished that everything can be used. Anyone can download it and play people's levels, or download people's contributions to add to levels of their own.

As far as I know, Brandon's busy with other projects but he's left a game that's brilliant and easy to add to in spite of being unfinished. An announcement might be just what it needs to inject some life back into it.
Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »

Guys, I hate to be a buzzkill... I was really pepped to make some maps for BQ, and tried starting a new map with the in-game editor -- the general interface is alright, and in-game editors are awesome, but laying down tiles is really painful because of how you select them from a linear list with the left/right arrow keys. The fact that I can't see all or most tiles at once to choose them makes it hard to select the tile I want, unless I memorize the order they're in; and looking at a single tile it's very hard to visualize how it fits with other tiles. BQ's tiles are small so they usually don't make sense in isolation, they're just tiny parts of bigger things. Tile copying with the right mouse button is very handy though. So I wanted to try Snakey's BqEd, but the link is broken and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Little help?  Hand Shake LeftCry Hand Shake Right

If I can make a suggestion for a tile selection interface, it would be nice if we were able to define for each tileset a "canvas" with some useful arrangements of tiles already laid out. For relative ease of programming a canvas could be defined as a BQ map; except it doesn't have a lot of gameplay in it, it just has tiles arranged in useful ways. Just a suggestion though -- I'll be happy if someone just gives me a link to BqEd, which I assume lets you select tiles with the mouse as most tile editors Wink
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »

I don't have it here but Snakey was online about a fortnight back so I sent him a PM to ask if he still had it around. I might have it at home but I'm visiting family for the weekend. I'll have a look tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Snakey doesn't have it anymore. He mentioned that the formats for BQ kept changing so it might be that it became incompatible  Sad

MORE-EDIT: I'm afraid I don't have it anymore either  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:50:17 AM by Widget » Logged
Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »

Damn... Maybe I can see what the differences are anyway and write a short script to convert? Because really I just need it to lay down the bulk of the graphical tiles, the rest including small edits are OK in the original editor.

Or we could just write an output script for Mappy. http://tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php Smiley
Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 07, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »

Woops... Thanks for trying to help me out Widget Wink

BMcC: Can I officially request a verrrrry simple tile browser? As in, press spacebar or whatever, and the screen is filled with all tiles so you can click one, presto it's selected... Did I mention it doesn't have to be fancy?

I'm sure map contributions will skyrocket as a result Durr...?

Beg
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »

Hi I just wanted to drop by and say that I've made a number of maps for BQ but I kind of ran out of steam when I realized that no one else was working on it. I think a compo would be a excellent way to renew interest in this great project! Also, an easier way to edit maps would be greatly appreciated...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic