Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:02:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 94994 times)
increpare
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »

BMcC, I wasn't 100% sure if you meant for me to append/work on the current editor or to make an external editor. I sort of opted to make an external editor, which is what I've done here. If that's cool with you, I can keep going on with the project, and hopefully get the basics done in a few more days.
This editor going to be cross-platform?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »

increpare
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »

Coffee
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »

Mike!  Please please don't edit Guy or Include Objects -- that's a one way ticket to instability and me accidentally overwriting the work I've done!  As a rule, I think standard maps/objects/stuff should be left alone, unless they're heavily modified (and released under a different file name).

But that's not to say I don't appreciate it!  I'll do what I can to incorporate that (there are actually plans for an Umbrella item).  It's great to see someone working with the scripts, too.  You know, you could use your talents to create some pretty exciting new enemies...

P.S. Nice animation. Wink

P.P.S. Wait, how wasn't the Animation Editor working? Shocked

Yeah, I figured you might have a problem with that, but the way the scripts work at the moment there is no way I could create a new pickup that affects Guy's abilities. Embarrassed
That being said, I did follow the standards set by the Monocle pickup code. Do you have a file comparison program? Wink Maybe you could merge changes with that, rather than replacing a whole file etc...
At the least, an SVN repository would do wonders for you if you're not already using one. Tongue

Anyway, when I tried loading the animation editor, it would not load. I have no idea why. I haven't changed any of the animation editor files or anything.  Huh?
Hmmm, perhaps I've copied files back and forth between versions. I can't remember doing that though - just a slight possibility. It would be worth checking with other users before worrying too much. Wink

Ah, yeah, I wouldn't exactly call that a nice animation, but I appreciate the compliment. Smiley Thanks.

Sorry, if any of this post seems abrasive, I've just woken up.  Shrug
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »

Are these maps getting added to the official builds, or do we need some sort of map archive thread?

I'm including the new maps in the build updates for the moment.  I'll wrap up all the most recent stuff into the frontpage build...

EDITOR

Heck yes!  This is great.  Some stuff that I wanted to include in the in-game editor, but have been too busy to so far, is:  Editing Start Values for objects (I was going to have you just press a key in the in-game editor, but maybe a popup box could appear letting you fill in the fields), Copying/drawing groups of tiles, a browser that lets you see all the tiles, an object browser (could let you browse the folder when loading a new object, but let you browse all the objects currently in the map as well, with pictures), an Undo feature, and... other stuff?

But even if this is just a tileset editor with a bunch of helpful features, that would be excellent!  It's no big deal dropping the objects in in-game, but the small screen size feels a bit cluttered for designing the tilemap (for example, the browser would have to cover the map).

It would also be rad to have an in-game level/object/script browser, kind of like Sporepedia. There could be monthly competition, rating systems, awards and so much more.

Maybe that's dreaming too much, but it's got the potential. Kiss

'Tis certainly possible, but probably a long ways off. Smiley

Oh damn, excellent!  I've got six new animations to put in since yesterday! Kiss

Yeah, I figured you might have a problem with that, but the way the scripts work at the moment there is no way I could create a new pickup that affects Guy's abilities. ...

But I'm working on adding abilities to Guy, so that's probably okay for the moment.  (You should really try and make some enemies!  That would be great.) I'll look into a file comparison program soon, though.

Anyway, when I tried loading the animation editor, it would not load. I have no idea why. I haven't changed any of the animation editor files or anything.  Huh?

Hmm... are you perhaps trying to load it from the text box on the Home screen?  Cuz I just realized the directory stuff doesn't work with that at the moment.  If you load it with 0 on the original Map Last, it should work.

Haha, your post wasn't abrasive at all, man! Panda

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »

Aha! okay, yeah, the Animation editor does load okay from the "F5 list". I didn't try that, 'cause I had a custom list in there. Cool

Hmmm. Enemies, huh? Well, hello there! Okay, I'll go take a look at Arne's original design doc and see if I can't draw some inspiration.

Also, a question about cartography: Can you have multiple tiles on the one grid location? Like a background, a "midground" and a foreground?

Anyway, Merry Christmas!  Hand Point LeftGrin:handpointR:
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »

Merry Christmas to you! Grin

Thanks for starting the enemy thread.  Once the Reservoir starts filling up, map-makers won't even need scripting/logic experience to make their own themes.  I can't wait!

Re: Multiple Tiles -- A few people have asked about this, but it's not in place at the moment.  I could add it in, but I'll have to convert all the existing maps.  Shouldn't be too much trouble, but it could.  I'll look into it. Wink

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2008, 07:28:11 PM »

I believe so. It's built ontop of wxWidgets and C++, but I don't have a Mac, so someone may need to compile it for me. As for Linux, I may be able to compile a version for it.

Heck yes!  This is great ...  screen size feels a bit cluttered for designing the tilemap (for example, the browser would have to cover the map).
Cool, alright. I'll build the project and hopefully over time it will be a good tool to use with BQ.

I like turtles.
increpare
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »

I believe so. It's built ontop of wxWidgets and C++, but I don't have a Mac, so someone may need to compile it for me.
Leemmme try at some point Smiley (unless someone else with a macbook is already on intimate terms with wxWidgets and wants to)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »

Excellent.

P.S. The wall slide feels real good in-game.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2008, 01:48:02 AM »

Progress update. I wrote a lot more of the back end functions, so I've got function stubs for loading, saving levels. The only thing that works 100% is application closing Wink

The way I'm going to do things first is to get it so the editor can actually make new levels. This will mean that saving will at least work as well. After that I can look into loading levels as well.

When you start a new map you are presented with a dialog box like this which sets the first few parameters that are required for the map. Once you've set the level properties, the editor will load up the graphics that it requires, and you can then start editing from there.

More to come in the next few days.

I like turtles.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2008, 11:14:48 PM »

I made a tileset and a background and a really easy level to test it all out.

Fresh

Dragonmaw
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2008, 11:37:02 PM »

Here are my levels.

Garbage Vents (Warehouse)

Handholds (Mirror's Edge)

Parkour (Mirror's Edge)

Crane Jump (Mirror's Edge)

Also Xion that tileset is super hot.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »

XION!

That tileset is super hot, but isn't included in the download! Epileptic

DRAGONMAW!

You know how I feel. Noir

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »

D'oh!
Updated so it's in there now, and also here.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:59:16 PM by Xion » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2008, 03:59:06 AM »

that level editor is going to rock snakey   

...and all those new levels  Hand Shake Left Corny Laugh

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2008, 05:50:57 AM »

I wrote the tileset palette frame tonight. With Eclipse's suggestions, I made sure that the palette was scrollable and I also added a preview window just for kicks. That should make it really easy to select the tiles you want.

The idea is, is that you select the tile you want to paint with, and from there you can paint out the levels using brushes.

I did have an idea which allows you to just pixelate levels and the editor then creates the tilesets for you automagically, but I think that will have to be developed a lot later as it is far more complex than a simple tile editor.

Ok, next up I have to actually allow people to create the levels!

I like turtles.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »

That's seriously awesome! Kiss Hand Thumbs Up Right

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »

Xion: Excellent!  I'll put your tile animations in place and include this in the next update.

Also, keen animations.  I've almost got all I need for the 1.1 update already. Smiley

Snakey: Sweetness.  There's actually already a tileset grabber in the game, but it would be nice to have a more advanced one at some point, with the ability to arrange the order of new tiles and such.

Lookin' good!

Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2009, 12:13:52 AM »

Work in progress, woo!

Edit: Made a coolio dropship/lift.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:18:43 PM by Lord Tim » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Jump to: