Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:05:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 95064 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »

Cool, I-- wait, is that Cortex Command?  You're going to cause an Arnesplosion! Grin

News:  I'm generalizing the objects right now.  It's taking a little while, cuz I'm expanding some of them as well, but it totally works.  It takes ~30 seconds to create a new laser object, for example, with alternate effects and properties, facing a different direction.  (That was my first test.) Hand Metal Right

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »

I finally had some free time to sit down and do some development on BqEd. After a few trial and error methods, I winded up using a single widget control to handle the entire level grid. The first method involved using many widget controls in a grid style layout, but this was insanely slow, especially when resizing or moving the window. I suppose that 768 (32 x 24) widgets is just something that Window's / wxWidgets isn't really designed to handle.

Progress so far allows you to now select a tile that you wish to use to paint with, and paint a level. This is all in memory right now, and nothing gets saved to disk yet.

Oh and I also prettied up the Palette window and added a few usuability features.

I like turtles.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2009, 02:39:14 AM »

That's coming along nicely!

edit: lord tim, that's amazing!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2009, 05:24:19 AM »

Looking great, Snakey!

I'll be uploading the update today.  And finally posting it.  I can't wait to get this thing rolling again...

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2009, 03:09:01 PM »

Edit: Made a coolio dropship/lift.

Awesome.  Kiss

Snakey: Editor's looking sweet!

Excellent job, gentlemen. - Gentleman

cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »

I think the enthusiasm and game here is great, but why not go all the way and open up the source? I'd love to see this on github or similar and see how development progresses on that front.

Hope this hasn't been asked already, tried searching around a bit, but didn't find anything.

In any event, nice work!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »

It's asked every once in a while... I'm not going to release the source because it wouldn't help anything (in fact, it would complicate things).  It's trouble enough managing new scripts and file format changes and stuff already.  (And my code's nothing to look at, anyway.)

All the game stuff is still external, though.  You can see everything that makes the logic and gameplay tick.

(Thanks, btw! Smiley)

DugIt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »

I'm quite interested in this game. I joined for this reason alone.

Just a quick question. How large of an area can the engine render and is scrolling included?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »

As part of BQ's design, I want to stick hard-and-fast to the single screen aspect.

Each map is 256x192 pixels, 32x24 tiles, no scrolling.

(Scrolling would be a cinch to add to the engine, I kept stuff like that in mind while writing it, so in the future, probably post-BQ, I might open it up for people to use for original games.  But I'd like to beef it up considerably before then.)

DugIt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »

Ok, just wondering. I've been hunting forever and this engine would be perfect for a project I've been working on.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »

Hmm... You should get involved in BQ, get familiar with it, and when I open it up you'll be set. Wink

I'd love for folks to use this engine, just don't wanna stretch myself too thin at this point.

OverwatchTM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »

Oh wow. I'm already in love with this engine, and I've just begun using it.
Looks like I could do some Lua scripting with this thing.

Got any suggestions or ideas where I could come in?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2009, 01:16:39 AM »

Excellent!

Well, if you want to do scripting, I think the most useful thing would be to come up with objects and enemies that could be used throughout the whole game.  (But if you just script, say, one enemy for a specific theme, I could generalize it for you later.)

I'll make revised Milestone 3 Goals and Priorities soon (along with the Scripting Guide).  Waiting to see if my wife can come back to America from France at the moment.  Sad

ALSO:  It's my birthday today. Shrug

gorthal
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2009, 07:03:16 AM »

Hi Brandon, a "joyeux anniversaire" to you  Beer!

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2009, 07:19:29 AM »

Hey, same day as my moms!
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Brandon!   Hand Shake Left :D Hand Shake Right Beer!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:28 AM »

Merci, danke! Grin

I got the call from my wife -- everything at the embassy went fine and she's coming home Wednesday!  Best birthday present ever. Kiss

jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »

Any chance of a tutorial for tileset design?  I'd love to make a tileset but I need a little help.

HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »

I just made a Balding's Quest map the other night and after having much difficulty with the attachment uploader, I made a google site and posted it there. It's called Ghost Story, so I may tweak it to be more spooky in the future with a few tileset changes if I can figeure out how, but for now, here it is in all it's glory! Grin

http://sites.google.com/site/justicejonesbiz/Home

andreasng
Level 0

Lead Animator at Playdead - creators of Limbo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »

OOO MMM GGG

since doukutsu monogatari i've been craving! Craving goood. Furthermore i've been sad and annoyed that nothing else is out there of the same quality. In many many many cases not even conventional "big" budget mainstream products.

So i snoke around the net for alot of freaking time... and i found NOTHING! But then omg omg omg (said as a puberty girl) balding is so GOD DAMN well programmed, the animations makes the old animator in me smile. the quality is just up there. Above doukutsu in many ways.

I just miss very few things and that is:

A:a little teeny weeny faster running speed, or a dash button. You mention the ground slide, or just slide feature in your post. And normally that makes you go faster, like mista rockman. but just so you know. It is well annoying to walk when you should be running, if you catch my brief.  :D

B: in the editing part. It would be awesome if you could see +5 and -5 tiles from the one you have selected. But only when "scrolling" through them. It makes us creative minded alot more confortable when we can see where we are going.

C: when choosing files to load, whether its maps, anims etc etc, a folder and point and click system would benefit the creators. since writing filenames forces you to either be God, or have a folder open behind the program.

D: i know i know. It's against the convention, or the philosophy of this game. but scrolling maps would lure more people to the table. I have no clue if it's something thats programmable for contributors (not me anyway, cus I just draw and animate stuff), so i dont know. I dont know. LUA? hmm.

And if i wasn't so damn busy all the time, i would be the first to animate awesome stuff for you.

but right now i'll just sit back, take a nap, and pray to someone that your game is done in half an hour.

i am truly amazed!  Panda

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2009, 10:52:22 AM »

Justice: Oh! What a rad level! I beat it after a few tries, the screenshot tricked me into thinking you could go straight to the exit but then I played it and it was all like "noooo." Totally fair, though, and my failures were due entirely to my own carelessness. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic