Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:30:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpelunky v1.1 (and Source)!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 228
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky v1.1 (and Source)!  (Read 1537830 times)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit, but I'm not great at it.

I can't resist stealing from the shopkeeper, and he kills me every time.  I even tried climbing a rope to his shop ceiling and dropping a rock on his head, but he jumped up and shot me. I did, however, manage to steal a die from the craps house, and I managed to evade the shopkeeper that time. I then had loads of fun killing snakes by throwing the die at them. "Die, fiend! Six! Yay!" XD

twitter: @docky
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »

There's a very simple way to kill shopkeepers that works every time for me, at least for this version - just stand at the edge of the shop (as close as you can without actually being in the shop; you should have enough room to jump without hitting your head), arm your self with a bomb, detonate it and throw it just at the last minute so that it hits him as it explodes - the shopkeeper will get one shot that you can jump to avoid, and that's that Smiley

I did, however, manage to steal a die from the craps house, and I managed to evade the shopkeeper that time. I then had loads of fun killing snakes by throwing the die at them. "Die, fiend! Six! Yay!" XD

:D

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2008, 05:01:06 PM »

Here's a hint to steal from the shopkeepers (hover). Evil

And it is indeed hilarious to steal the dice! :D
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »

What the hell is the dice for anyway?
I never successfully stole it :<
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »

For nothing, it's just fun Grin
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »

You should get gold for each kill you make with a die, 100 per point you get when you throw the die.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »

That's actually clever, GV, but it's nice having something with absolutely no incentive to steal it, and watch (Or hear about, rather) people do it anyway. :D

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Ferretypie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »

I wish I would stop dying in this way.  Concerned

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »

:D

Excel. Also, your priorities horrify me.

Coffee
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »

I'm going to put in some ACTION PACKED SCREENSHOTS for those who want to see what they're missing out on. I'll put them in link form, for those who don't want spoilage.

Sorry, I'm not so good at actual trailers.

EDIT: First picks! Spoil things at your own risk!

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/121/nighttimeintheforestai6.png

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/409/notagoodideamz7.png
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:07:03 PM by GeneralValter » Logged
PaleFox
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »

I really hope there's a way to fix the bug wherein you innocently set off a bomb and somewhere in the level a shopkeeper goes "STOP THIEF" and chases you with a gun. It's really upsetting to die that way.

I much prefer to be shot at when I steal the dice of a man who lives 10 floors beneath the desert next to an evil pond.  Cool
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »

Oh, Derek- one thing to watch out for when implementing gamepad support is D-pads.

I've played GameMaker games (Jill Off especially) that autodetect the joypad, but force you to use the left analog stick and totally ignore the D-pad. Currently the D-pad works perfectly in Xpadder / JoyToKey, and it would be a shame if native joypad support was a step backward.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »

Actually, I just implemented the gamepad support (thanks, Matt!), and did the opposite - I made the D-pad work and ignored the analog stick!  I'll try to throw in support for both, though.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2008, 12:35:46 AM »

Actually, I just implemented the gamepad support (thanks, Matt!), and did the opposite - I made the D-pad work and ignored the analog stick!  I'll try to throw in support for both, though.

Oh ha!  I just replied to your email.  Looks like I was late twice - I posted the tut before checking my email, then replied to your email before checking if you replied to the tut Tongue

Glad it worked out for you.  Happy I could help, and very eager to try this out with a gamepad in hand.

Edit: As for not supporting the analog stick: be careful.  Some pads (mine included) use the joystick_direction() functions to refer to the D-Pad.  Probably due to the fact that the pad has no analog stick(s).  Other pads use these functions to check the left stick.  Might want to test with several varieties to see if they're all covered.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:41:12 AM by YMM » Logged

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2008, 02:51:47 AM »

I saw a screenshot (well, probably a mockup) in this thread with a tutorial option on the menu. I exited out of the tutorial and now I have no way of playing it again. I even pushed the reset button and destroyed my score thinking that would allow me to play the tutorial, but that didn't even remotely work. This is a big issue for me.

This suggestion has already been stated by others, but I hate having to press F10 to quit. What's wrong with pressing Esc twice?

Also... why can't I burn the rope on the title screen? I really want to burn that rope!

EDIT: I managed to access the tutorial after all. Resetting does bring it back, but I had to exit out of the game and restart it first. Still annoying!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2008, 02:52:24 AM »

This was never going to end well, especially as I had no bombs... Sad

I went the other way to look for some sort of weapon, and he seemed to teleport over there, unless he has a twin on the same map.

Edit: As for not supporting the analog stick: be careful.  Some pads (mine included) use the joystick_direction() functions to refer to the D-Pad.  Probably due to the fact that the pad has no analog stick(s).  Other pads use these functions to check the left stick.  Might want to test with several varieties to see if they're all covered.
Yeah, I suspect my Sega Saturn pad works that way, and my NES-style pad. I don't have any pads with analogue, come to think of it (I figured I would probably hook up a PS2 pad or something, but I've never had any need to)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:14:39 AM by dock » Logged

twitter: @docky
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2008, 02:56:02 AM »

This suggestion has already been stated by others, but I hate having to press F10 to quit. What's wrong with pressing Esc twice?
You pause the game with ESC and if you want to un-pause it, you intuitively press ESC again (at least I do), it's just a precaution to avoid accidentally closing the game. It should stay as it is.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2008, 03:42:34 AM »

You pause the game with ESC and if you want to un-pause it, you intuitively press ESC again (at least I do), it's just a precaution to avoid accidentally closing the game. It should stay as it is.
Personally, I wouldn't intuitively (though I guess it's debatable whether this is something I've learned or not) press ESC again given the number of games this quits with. I see your point, but... F10? Why F10?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2008, 03:48:06 AM »

F10? Why F10?
Well, why not? It had to be some key, doesn't really make a difference to me which one is Droop
increpare
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2008, 04:22:05 AM »

F10? Why F10?
Well, why not? It had to be some key, doesn't really make a difference to me which one is Droop
Maybe one closer to esc?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 228
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic