Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411422 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:07:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpelunky v1.1 (and Source)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 228
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky v1.1 (and Source)!  (Read 1536891 times)
The-Imp
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »

Wow.  Awesome stuff Derek.  This is so cool.

A possible bug (unless I'm missing something): I beat my highscore in money collected, but then skipped the "Game Over" dialog.  I don't think it updated the highscore after this.

Also: Gamepad support.  Please!  I could even write you a quick tutorial on the best way to do it if you've never done it with GM.
Oh my god, Gamepad support would make this even better!
 Grin
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 12:19:41 PM »

Oh my, the ***'s no longer explode instantly! Tears of Joy

And a bug; if you walk through the exit with a jar, the jar will break and you'll get the money inside but still have a jar at the start of the next level.

The-Imp Evil You know nothing of pain yet!
qft

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »

Game is off the hook.

I thoroughly enjoyed Spelunky Night last night.  But, dang, is this game hard!

*downloads latest version*

Nice work, bro!

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »

I want to play this game, but can't play any games for a few days (I'm posting from the office on a Sunday at 9pm, which should tell you something). Please introduce gamepad support in that time!

This game is like when you're head cheerleader and you're dating Big Terry, the hottest quarterback in town. He's totally dreamy and you're, like, so in love with him, but... well, he abuses you. Every night you're doin' it, sometimes several times a night, but after a few minutes the rage always descends on him and before you know it you're lying in a bloody pulp.
The unspoken story of Corpus and Terry at Tigjam:UK... o_o

twitter: @docky
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »

This game is like when you're head cheerleader and you're dating Big Terry, the hottest quarterback in town. He's totally dreamy and you're, like, so in love with him, but... well, he abuses you. Every night you're doin' it, sometimes several times a night, but after a few minutes the rage always descends on him and before you know it you're lying in a bloody pulp.
The unspoken story of Corpus and Terry at Tigjam:UK... o_o

moving right along Shocked

Spelukny is special - I've been totally addicted to it even in its beta stage. I hope it's widely played and becomes the phenomenon it deserves to be! Smiley

Beer!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »

There really needs to be a way to just pull yourself up a ledge. I don't know how many times I've overshot a ledge and died from spikes.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 02:12:42 PM »

You should post this on your website Derek, if you're not keen to promote it on the front page. That way we have somewhere to send people at other websites.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 02:15:22 PM »

There really needs to be a way to just pull yourself up a ledge. I don't know how many times I've overshot a ledge and died from spikes.

That's never happened to me. Huh?
Corpus
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 02:18:38 PM »

It's happened to me a lot. Either that or I've been trying to jump carefully because it's so sensitive and I don't want to fly over the block and onto the spikes on the other side, and I've been TOO careful, jumped straight up and died on the spikes I was standing in already.
teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »

Amzing. I will definetely be playing this again.
Some of the controls felt a bit sticky, but I wouldn't change anything, you get used to it. The forced abuse of the damsel in distress is pretty funny... I like how you can use her as a weapon.

Also, how did you do the awesome lighting code?

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »

It's happened to me a lot. Either that or I've been trying to jump carefully because it's so sensitive and I don't want to fly over the block and onto the spikes on the other side, and I've been TOO careful, jumped straight up and died on the spikes I was standing in already.

PEBKAC, I think.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

Aww, I was disappointed when Muggy Mug Mummy dropped a carriable instead of an equippable Sad.

Some advice for newwwbs (from da' master himself!):
A lot of equippables are only good in specific situations, and almost all of them have trade-offs. Climbing gloves, par exemple, only help you survive in world 3, and will annoy the crap out of you everywhere else.
Carriables are only good in the short run. If you're constantly juggling maidens, idols, and a pistol, it's usually better to not take the pistol.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Corpus
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »

PEBKAC, I think.

Nope, there just needs to be a move to simply pull yourself up.

The jump just isn't precise enough for times when you have a raised block sandwiched between spikes.

M Pixel 0F M

See? Conclusive.
increpare
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »

the more I see the name of this game, the more it conjures up ejaculatory imagery....and I don't fully know why  Huh?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 03:49:45 PM by increpare » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

Increpare, I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. Lips Sealed

PS GUYS

YOU BE HARD PRESSED TO BEAT THAT.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 03:52:47 PM »

Wait for it Inane, just wait for it Angry
(minor spoilers about how to open the doors in the scores room)

(Congrats again Wink)

EDIT:

I'M GETTING THERE INANE, I'M GETTING THERE! (same)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:21:54 PM by Kao » Logged
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

With luck I can get trough the first level. So yeah, definitively a rougelike.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »

I fucking suck at this game, jesus.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »

Hi Derek,

This seems like a great little game, especially for pre-1.0! I love the basic idea. It's great to see games like this and Beagles that make creative use of unique environments on each playthrough.

I second Corpus's observation about pulling up from a ledge grab and flying into spikes. If I pull up from a ledge, it's hard to land precisely on the tile I was hanging on to- I tend to fly forward a couple tiles instead.

I also had a problem where I tried to restart the tutorial (having accidentally used up all my ropes) and ended up just having to start the game from the beginning with no tutorial.

I've got more nitpicky suggestions if you want them. Wink I find that the more I like a game, the more I want to see it polished to perfection. So, err, do you want more feedback at this point? I don't want to burden you with details.

P.S.- I found a bug for you. I was at the bottom of a small pit, attacking an urn... let me get a screenshot.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

This seems like a great little game, especially for pre-1.0! I love the basic idea. It's great to see games like this and Beagles...

Derek, your game just got compared favorably to THE Rescue the Beagles.

Bow your head in reverence and never forget this day.  Gentleman

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 228
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic