Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:01:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: [JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)  (Read 57541 times)
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2016, 12:33:33 PM »

I've released a new gameplay video. This is actually the first 5 minutes of the game: The opening + a bit of field gameplay. What do you think guys? Smiley

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2016, 01:10:44 PM »

I'm loving everything I see about this game. Now I've seen it in action I'm even more excited. Keep it up!

The 'Class 2 soldier' thing might be a bit too on the nose for an FF7 reference though.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2016, 04:41:40 AM »

Thanks! Yep, I will probably rename it to something else.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »

Very FF7ish indeed, opening look great, loving the style, JRPG fans probably gonna like it too Smiley

Now, I don't know how much of it is final but I don't think the music fits well the place. It looks like some sort of underground military base and music sounds like a small calm village by the beach or something.

Also, this may sound weird but the background in the 2D illustration when the character is waking up looks "too 3D". At first I thought they were in the 3D world. Now this is totally subjective, but I think that if you're gonna have 2 different art styles, it would look better if they are very different from each other, not just the characters. Huh?

Still, keep the good work!  Beer!

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2016, 02:18:07 AM »

Nice demo!

I like the music. If it is not in a stressfull situation, I think it fits.
I just think the letters are a bit too small, and the typing effect will get on people's nerves...

Yeah.
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2016, 05:54:23 AM »

Thanks guys for the feedback!

@Tuba: About the music in the last part of the video, it's actually the theme of Kuroko, not the theme of the location. The music will switch to the location's theme soon after.

@eyeliner: About the typing effect, is it because it's too slow? Or are you talking about the sound effect?

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2016, 06:08:25 AM »

It's the tiktiktiktiktik when every character appears.

To me it's a bit abrasive.

Yeah.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2016, 06:20:01 AM »

Oh, you're doing character themes.. that's cool Smiley

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2016, 06:21:14 AM »

@eyeliner: I see. I'll probably add an option to disable this sound - just like I added an option in Super Night Riders to disable Alice's voice, as some people didn't like it.

@Tuba: Yep Smiley

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »

You can make it like Zelda: LttP. It's a calm sound.

Yeah.
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2016, 05:58:36 AM »

Yep, I'll see if I can find a similar sound. Thanks!

Featured on Siliconera. Awesome Smiley
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/11/first-five-minutes-cute-rpg-light-fairytale/

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »

Hi guys Smiley

I've been experimenting with the Scion Post Processing image effects today. So far, I've been just using Unity's standard image effects, stacked on the camera which is not super efficient. The SPP is actually a single script you attach to the camera and includes lots of effects.

So, here's a screenshot of the result. The right part is using the standard image effects, and the left one is using SPP.

What do you think guys? Which one do you prefer, and why? Wink

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2016, 01:12:40 AM »

Myself, I prefer non processed. Easier on the eyes, and looks bwetter, IMO.

Yeah.
ESeion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2016, 02:12:50 AM »

In my opinion the left image is more pleasant to the eye, specially because the shadows are so smooth.
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2016, 05:53:37 AM »

Fan of the left one.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »

Thanks guys for your feedback Wink

So far I had mixed opinions about this effect, but most people actually like it, me included Smiley

Actually, I tweeted a screenshot today for the made in Unity Friday, and got RT by Unity for the first time Cheesy

There are 4 quality settings currently in Light Fairytale, ranging from very low to high, conveniently enough, they are defined only by the amount of effects applied to the camera starting from the medium quality and up. I guess I will just add an ultra mode using the Scion Post Processing, as it is the slowest mode anyway!

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »

I really love the look. It is very FF7 - not really a bad thing, just make sure you forge your own path. The art is exceptional. Well done!

In your game play video, there were a lot of grammatical mistakes. For me, that is the only thing that stands out right away that this isn't a professional studio.

The character talking sounds, there is something off about it. When they talk at the same time, is the "tiktiktik" sound playing simultaneously for each character? Maybe the pitch should change slightly based on the character?

The menu system is super clean. As for the screenshots, I like the sharper right side.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2016, 07:33:42 AM »

@EvilDingo: Thanks for the critique!

Yep, I'm not perfectly fluent in English so I probably made mistakes. One of the goals of the upcoming KickStarter is to work with someone to correct my script, and probably also get professional translations.

There's a problem currently with the typing sound effect when 2 dialogues occur at the same time. I'll fix it, and maybe also replace the actual sound if I find something better.

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2016, 04:33:45 AM »

Hey guys Wink

I've been working on the battle UI recently. Added a light transparency to the command windows, and a character status window in the lower right part of the screen.

The HP and MP colors fade from green to red depending on the current and max values.

The current playable character is highlighted (in blue in this light theme, there are 2 other themes, and I'll probably add even more).

Any feedback? Smiley

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2016, 07:55:58 AM »

I would avoid using green and red to indicate similar things, colourblind people (me!) will find it really hard to tell the difference. Try an use more contrasting colours like blue and red, there's some great tips here http://wearecolorblind.com/

Looks nice other than that though!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:05:00 AM by empika » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic