Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:48:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: [JRPG] Light Fairytale series (EDIT: physical release!)  (Read 59201 times)
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2016, 05:42:39 AM »

Yep, I know that scene from FF7, obviously Smiley

I just did it the FF6 way, first boss, which starts with the tip:

It might feel too easy this way, but actually the cursor target is by default on the first spider, so beginner players will probably just continue to attack it until it dies, then the queen "Call" action will be triggered.

But yeah, the FF7 way (same as FF4) might be better. I'll probably experiment a bit.

Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »

Light Fairytale looks very good. Smiley
I think for boss battles, you could make them disappear with cam shake with flashes and progressive color fade or desintegrating into dust.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:47:47 AM by Arm » Logged
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »

Thanks!

There's already a camera shake effect for the boss both appearing and dying. But yes, I'll probably add more effects such as flashes / red overlay.

Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »

That's nice. By enemy reduced to dust/desintegation, I meant an effect like these:
FF6
https://youtu.be/X1DcSSWvljg?t=1063
FF7
https://youtu.be/LG5hr18qUVg?t=1064

For flash/slow color fade, something like this:
https://youtu.be/od43Xzk57vY?list=PLD37A61E29DD6DBED&t=122
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:35:01 PM by Arm » Logged
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »

The dust effect would be difficult to implement, at least for me Wink I'll probably add the flashes effect + color overlay.

New improved opening + early gameplay video. Any thoughts? Smiley

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2016, 06:06:30 AM »

The Square-Enix Collective campaign is now live. Please check it out and vote!
collective.square-enix.com/projects/167/light-fairytale

Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »

I see for the fx. It's great already having flash+overlay. If it can be done, ripple effects could also give a nice touch.

For my part, I think the overall result in the video looks quite polished. The fact you added in the intro a semi transparent circular black mask at the edges of the screen allows to focus more on the center of the scene.The natural green/blue color tones are vibrant and give a stark contrast with the brown of the underground city, which reminds me of Junon in FF7 btw. Smiley The font and borders are much better this way too. (reminds me more of star ocean 2)

Presenting your project to SquareEnix is a good idea and legitimate considering it is some kind of a tribute to FF7 and rpgs from the 90's. I voted.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:16:24 PM by Arm » Logged
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »

Thanks for your feedback and vote Wink Yep, the Collective is a huge opportunity for this project!

Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »

The collective voting percentage is quite positive for now (89%).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:32:20 PM by Arm » Logged
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »

Yep, feedback have been positive so far. This is THE JRPG community after all Wink

Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »

When I saw the square enix logo, I thought the games had to be very advanced/impressive, but actually it doesn't seem to be the case for every project accepted, some of them being rather modest visually.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:38:18 PM by Arm » Logged
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »

I think the only requirement to post on the Collective is having a solid and coherent concept / pitch. All kind of projects of various ambitions can be accepted, which is great!

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »

Hey guys Smiley

I've been working on the title screen again. I've changed the main artwork. Can you please tell me which one do you prefer, and why?

The top one is a commission from the dialogues portrait artist. This is actually just a dialogue portrait that I've tweaked and used for the title screen, and for the promotion of the game so far.

The bottom one is the new one. This started just as a painting exercise I did myself, and actually I like the result Smiley I'll probably improve it a bit more if I decide to use it. This painting is not in the same style of the rest of the game, but I think it's OK to use a different style for the title and promotion.

So, what do you think guys? Wink

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »

the new artstyle suits well with the title screen  Hand Thumbs Up Right and goes well with the in-game graphics.
Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2016, 04:49:02 AM »

This reminds me a bit of Katsuya Terada's style but rounder and with more evanescent colors. The more realistic result being different from the rest, it gives a more symbolic tone to the title screen.
In  the previous version, I sense you wanted by blurring the outline and putting it out of focus, to integrate the artwork to the white BG. This more painterly version with diffuse colors and without outline works well with the blank white screen imo. Maybe you should harden the shadows of the hair and face a bit to give more volume and texture to the image.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:25:08 AM by Arm » Logged
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »

Without any change, I would prefer the top image, but with a few changes I would vote for the bottom one as .
-I like that the girl's image has the outline that provides a nice balance to the overall picture.  Adding some shadows to the right side of her hair could help with the visual balance.
-The other aspect is that there is a gap between the girl's hair and the title while in the bottom picture the title overlaps the girl's hair.  I personally prefer the gap.

Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2016, 12:05:59 PM »

I would add that in the top version, her face is slightly less round, slightly narrower. In the new version, the fine part around the chin and the ckeek is rounder/broader which makes her appear less slim. It's a matter of taste. You can slightly correct the curve of this part if you want her face to be narrower like in the old version.

The scale of the two versions is different. In the top version, the girl's head is smaller and is inside the frame. In the new version, the head is bigger, going outside of the tv frame and touches the title logo. As the hair color is almost white, it's fine imo. Just emphasize a bit more on the shadows in some parts of the face/hair and it should be fine imo.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:21:49 PM by Arm » Logged
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'll see what I can fix in this new painting, as I've decided that I will use it, for both this title screen and as the key artwork for the promotion of the game.

Arm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »

Wow, it reached 90% now. Looks like a pretty positive result if it remains like that.
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »

Yep, the campaign is doing great today, probably because it is visible on the front page of the NA Square-Enix website, which is awesome Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic