Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:02:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralindie gamers and disability
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: indie gamers and disability  (Read 2681 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

I think the thought of "you can do anything as long as you have the will, no matter your disability" is very disrespectful. Some people are not able no matter how much they want to, and even if they do it was still incredibly hard and has still unrepairably affected their lives.

I might react too strong here, but it just gave me a bad vibe reading some stuff here.

I have some medical issues and am not able to do any sports or prologued use of a computer. I was just as passionate about my sports as about making video games, so I'm pretty sad I'm unable to do that anymore.
I didn't use a computer for 3 months, then I bought a windows surface tablet and that works a bit better and I figured out I'm able to program for a couple of hours a day.

My condition is getting worse so I'm in the strange position where I want to get out my game and put some kind of footprint of my existance on this planet, but on the other hand I have to restrain myself from working too much and injuring myself further.
It's not about endurance, it's about persistence. The story I read about are mostly people managing themselves and only slowly building their dreams, not them exhausting themselves.

JWK5
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »

I think the thought of "you can do anything as long as you have the will, no matter your disability" is very disrespectful. Some people are not able no matter how much they want to, and even if they do it was still incredibly hard and has still unrepairably affected their lives.
Obviously not everyone can do everything directly. If you are paralyzed from the neck down running a marathon is probably out of the question. However, that does not mean you can not do anything or anything well. Wanting achievement is a lot like wanting love, sometimes the people you want are not the ones that are right for you and though it feels like a heartbreak you have to keep looking because the right one is out there. Sometimes it takes persistence to achieve a worthy goal, sometimes it takes persistence to find a worthy goal.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »

I totally agree! The "American Dream"-mentality is dangerously deceptive,  fucked up and contributes to a inhumane meritocratic ideology of achievers. Winner stories are popular, the rest didn't try hard enough or had the wrong dream... Commercialized/economized goal-oriented lifestyles become more and more popular. We should not learn how to become more productive but how to have peace of mind.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:33:33 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
jprogman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »

I wasn't even trying to be disrespectful, I'm only sharing my hopes... or what's left of them. I'm trying to relate my difficulty (not comparing) and find an inspiration that would motivate me career-wise. Why career-wise? Because that is what I'm having the most difficulty due to unemployment and I believe bigotry is the culprit to that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:01:06 PM by jprogman » Logged

~JProgman ~ I Made Mosaic Mingle ~ My Web Portfolio ~ @jprogman ~
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »

I wasn't even trying to be disrespectful, I'm only sharing my hopes... or what's left of them.
I never thought that! I hope I didn't give you the impression.

I'm trying to relate my difficulty (not comparing) and find an inspiration that would motivate me career-wise. Why career-wise? Because that is what I'm having the most difficulty due to unemployment and I believe bigotry is the culprit to that.
I see. Bigotry is definitely a huge factor. Especially psychological differences are often heavily stigmatized.

Sorry for my political rant. I believe in an unconditional basic income. I am in a very comfortable position to say that, but I hate the idea of economic pressures dominating our lives. Even in times when jobs are scarce unemployment is often a stigma. I agree with many ideas of the Manifesto against Labour.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:26:11 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »

Just saw this on Twitter and maybe you can join it?  A game jam centered around improving accessibility to games.

http://jams.gamejolt.io/accessibilityjam

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic