Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:15:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFort Meow
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Fort Meow  (Read 15223 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »

The text for the intro and time are still super tiny.

I can click on multiple pieces and have them all selected at once. It's not necessarily a bad thing but I wasn't sure if it was intentional. It was sort of hilarious to be able to grab a couple of armchairs and drop them on the little girl's head. Oh my god, I'M A MONSTER!

I think the mouse button controls are more intuitive now.

I'm confused about the "Game Over". Every time it happens the game level starts over but all the damage to my fort is persistent. It's also frustrating that the beanbag chair is so expensive since I can't predict where the fat cat is actually going to hit my fort, which makes it almost useless unless I get lucky. It might be nice to have a tool tip for the diary to explain what each type of cat does. I have no idea what the "hugging" cats do.

I think you're going to have to work more on balancing. I'm not sure what wave I'm on now (just started getting watermelon-cats) but it feels like I'm not given enough time to build an effective fort, even with the ability to sell damaged fort pieces for the price of new fort pieces. I found that I wasn't spending any time gathering any new pieces since I wouldn't have the time to use them.
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »

The text for the intro and time are still super tiny.

I can click on multiple pieces and have them all selected at once. It's not necessarily a bad thing but I wasn't sure if it was intentional. It was sort of hilarious to be able to grab a couple of armchairs and drop them on the little girl's head. Oh my god, I'M A MONSTER!

I think the mouse button controls are more intuitive now.

I'm confused about the "Game Over". Every time it happens the game level starts over but all the damage to my fort is persistent. It's also frustrating that the beanbag chair is so expensive since I can't predict where the fat cat is actually going to hit my fort, which makes it almost useless unless I get lucky. It might be nice to have a tool tip for the diary to explain what each type of cat does. I have no idea what the "hugging" cats do.

I think you're going to have to work more on balancing. I'm not sure what wave I'm on now (just started getting watermelon-cats) but it feels like I'm not given enough time to build an effective fort, even with the ability to sell damaged fort pieces for the price of new fort pieces. I found that I wasn't spending any time gathering any new pieces since I wouldn't have the time to use them.

Thanks for the feedback! You definitely shouldn't be able to grab multiple items at once, whoops!

To address the balancing issues. Your point about the Game Over is a good one. I was actually thinking about giving the player a choice of continuing and gaining +5 minutes of bonus time, or continuing without if they know they can get past the level without needing the time. I think your point about the items still being broken is a good one as well, and I will try a change that heals them all back up to full when you continue.

The beanbag will need to be rebalanced. I'm thinking a lower cost, but at the price of lower HP. The diary is also missing a lot of stuff, including information about each cat. The "hugging" (Cat-riding cat) are basically a normal cat but a bit more powerful and impact into items harder.

Also, I will be inserting a system that gives the player an extra 10 minutes for picking up all the items in a room. Alternatively, you can grab some extra time using the clock in the attic. I just want to avoid people getting a bunch of time and just spamming the early items, ignoring the new ones they get. You can already kind of do that with brooms. I may have to add some sort of limit per item, so you can only place a set amount of a specific item.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

16/5

Have a screenshot!

shs
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »

Do you plan to add different cat movements? It might be amusing to see a bunker buster cat drop straight down and bore through your defenses.
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »

Do you plan to add different cat movements? It might be amusing to see a bunker buster cat drop straight down and bore through your defenses.

Yep, there are a few different ones planned. One is an "angry cat" that doesn't actually knock anything over or do damage. It sits where it lands until it's hit by another cat, causing it to explode Smiley

SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »

Exploding cats? Count me in!
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »

Exploding cats? Count me in!

Counted!

20/5

Tonight I reworked the game over part.

Now, if you get a game over your fort reverts back to what it was before you clicked the "defend" button. This way, you can redesign the fort to improve the design / defense, and you don't lose items that get destroyed by cats during the round.

I'm trying to think of ways the game over could penalize the player for not doing very well. I can't bring myself to put something in without it looking tacked on just for the sake of letting the player know they did something wrong, so for now it's all about learning from your mistakes as you play.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »

25/5

- The player has access to more information about the next wave of cats.

- Cats don't attack from random sides anymore. It's always left then right and repeat.

- Improved the door interaction in the house to make it a little more obvious that they need to select the door of the room they intend to visit.

- Move-it Bot follows the player around. Picking up an item still requires battery charge.

Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »

I have some solid advice right here.
You should name your early game builds.... Meowpha Builds
 Durr...?

I'll see myself out and come back when I think of better feedback

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 01:47:27 AM »

I have some solid advice right here.
You should name your early game builds.... Meowpha Builds
 Durr...?

I'll see myself out and come back when I think of better feedback

Brilliant!

30/5

A lot of new items work
The alpha is a bit longer lasting
Move-It Bot now follows you around instead of having to click it each time.
The waves of cats aren't as random any more
The girl gives you some insight into what's coming next
Added some doors and made them a bit more obvious

New build! - Download Fort Meow - "Meowpha" 0.0.3

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 05:02:10 AM »

5/6

- Changed the way placing items work. It's now a drag and drop system, with mousewheel for rotate. Or if your mouse doesn't have a wheel, you can hold down spacebar (acts like the previous control method).

- Wrote an ending (still need to go over and over to make sure it makes sense...and implement)

- Added a way to get to the ending via the game.

- Fixed bugs. It's always with the fuckin' bugs!

No new build yet, sorry.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 12:43:45 AM »

15/6

It's been a while since the last DevLog, but be reassured the game is still progressing!

I've been doing a lot of art in the last few weeks, so that's why it's been a bit quiet on the DevLog front.

I'm also talking to someone in regards to music and sound. So that's also pretty exciting.

So yeah, a quick post to keep this thread alive Smiley

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »

15/6
I'm also talking to someone in regards to music and sound. So that's also pretty exciting.

So yeah, a quick post to keep this thread alive Smiley

Huzzah!
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 03:33:03 AM »

Subscribin!

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 03:46:35 AM »

4/7

Just got back from my brothers wedding so haven't had much time to do any real work on the game. BUT, I did rework the entire story and do a lot of the ending artwork that needed to be done.

It's kinda funny that the ending has a different environment than the rest of the game, but I'll stop before I spoil anything more Smiley

Here's some art of the main character Nia.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 06:02:22 AM »

10/7

This week I've been drawing art for the journal. There are 44 pages total and I've done 7..so there's a few to go! They're also still missing all of the text, but that's too spoilery!

So instead, here's a collage of some various ones that I've finished (sans polish like shadows and cello tape...) The pages are all near the start of the book so the images shouldn't give too much away.

I've also sample the first music track! It sounds AWESOME and Moritz (http://www.moritzpgkatz.de/) has done an amazing job so far at getting the feel and atmosphere for the game down pat.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 05:33:18 AM »

31/7

Finished drawing all the art for the journal!  Beer!

Up next I have a lot of words to write!

I have also decided to redraw the cat animations for when they're flying through the air. I'm thinking some sort of flip right before they land. So they spread-eagle coming in from the side, and at the last second tuck into a ball.

The music is also coming along well, and Moritz is doing an amazing job at capturing the feel of the game.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »

8/8

Last week I redrew all the cat animations. So now they fly in from the sides and tuck into a ball before they impact.

I also made this pillow triforce (sorta)  Wizard

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 05:45:59 AM »

15/8

New alpha build!

Has a bunch of new stuff and I started on the balancing. Now includes some music as well Smiley

Fort Meow - Alpha 0.0.6 (Windows)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:50:46 PM by RhysD » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »

I get a "server not found" on the link to the new build.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic