Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:25:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueline: The one-dimensional dungeon crawler!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rogueline: The one-dimensional dungeon crawler!  (Read 9712 times)
Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »

Ahoy hoy! My name is Matt and I'm doing the sound design and music for Tiny Dungeons (patent pending™©).

First, a shameless plug

http://alexanderandom.bandcamp.com/  (I do birthdays!)

But not so shameless since I've been posting various iterations of the soundtrack on there when I get around to it. Looking in the Tiny Dungeons album you can see how the soundtrack has progressed over time to the final product.

http://alexanderandom.bandcamp.com/track/tiny-dungeons-sketch-3

This is the current first song of the game, still not completely finished in the final section, but a good idea of the mood we want to set. I plan to do another two songs in the same key (at least to transition in the beginning), where the game will loop through the three seamlessly to create different moods for an extended playthrough.

From the latest iteration of the game that was uploaded, I have since created all of the sound effects for the game (except for the meat!) (damn meat). Only a couple need tweaking as it stands and a build with the sound effects in should be out shortly.

Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »

Welp, the new demo is out!

Version 0.4 changes
There aren't many any gameplay changes, except now, instead of dragging the item to your inventory, you just press it.

The major update is the newly added music and sound effects, courtesy of Guitarmatt21 over here.

Also, I feel like at this point in development, it's time to finalize a name. Tell me which one you like, or feel free to leave a suggestion:

No Change (Tiny Dungeons)
Corridor Quest
The Dungeon Halls

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 11:05:42 AM »

Rogue Dimension?
Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »

What about Microquest Actions? And every time you do something your credit card gets charged?  Cheesy I kid I kid. I think my vote is for something without Tiny in the name because I see so many things as it is that have Tiny in it, but I also can't decide on an alternate.

Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »

I like Rogue Dimension, although it sort of conveys a sci-fi feel (which this game is not).

There was a nice-looking game by JasonPickering called "Rogueline," which I thought would be a pretty fitting name for this game; he never finished it, but I'll probably need his permission.

Depending on how the lore/story turns out, I could use "tower" in some way. You start at the beginning of the tower, each level is a floor, when you beat a level you walk up the stars to the next floor. Dungeon Tower? Tower of Rogue? TowerCrawl?

I kind of like the sound of TowerCrawl, but it sounds a bit too similar to Towerfall...

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

Go Knight!

(Go Right.. gettit?)  Huh?
Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »

Or how about Right Knight? With enough puns we'll get to where we need to be soon enough

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »

I deem that the name Rogueline should be used.

bleezy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »

This game is a lot of fun!  I got to level 16 on my farthest run.

Some ideas:
-Different monsters could create different items when pushed into storekeepers.
-Different monsters could have different effects when pushed:
Jellies merge.
Bats destroy chests.
Skeletons destroy fountains.
-Put an exit on level 26.
-An item that gives the player "first strike" so that he can deal damage before he is hurt.

Edit:  I just got to level 55!  Maybe add in some rarer items.  One could fully heal the character and one could wipe out all monsters in a row or all monsters on a level (potion of incineration, etc)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:01:12 PM by bleezy » Logged
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »

I deem that the name Rogueline should be used.

THE NAME CHANGE IS OFFICIAL!

Vindora
Level 0

Abe.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »

Really cool looking, I noticed you are using Stencyl. Does it use a separate programming language  or it's own built-in methods?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »

Really cool looking, I noticed you are using Stencyl. Does it use a separate programming language  or it's own built-in methods?

It has a system where you build code out of blocks with a drag-and-drop UI; this block-code is then translated to ActionScript. It's also possible to directly edit the code generated by the UI, although it's a bit of a hassle since it takes time to learn how the program writes stuff.

TautNerve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 03:21:16 AM »

At some point around lv 17 or so all my inventory disappeared.
The base mechanic is nice, though I became quite OP after a few
attack bonuses and could 1-hit everything.
The ability to push enemies to the next tile is a nice mechanic that you can
develop further to create more strategic depth depending on different types
of enemies and situations.

Let's tweet together:
@TautNerve
Play my games here:
Itch.io page
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 06:37:44 AM »

A chunk is missing
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 04:45:57 AM »

subscribing to this thread.
Currently on mobile (without flash).
Will try later!
gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »

I really enjoyed the game, but I fell like it needs to be less luck based and more skill, because right now it depends almost entirely on luck.
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 06:36:55 AM »

Played it!
Like the concept, would work very well on mobile.
Pretty sure you're not at balancing stage (especially given the amount of features that have yet to work), but currently there's a couple of issues:
- Offensive upgrades are strictly better than increasing hp, especially early on. Did you have plans to make the shield upgrades work like 'armor' points at some point?
- The 'line of encounters' being random and particularly important to survival, I feel the player would need a bit more control over his own fate. Possibly, inventory management will allow players to use food to replenish their life? I find it otherwise a bit frustrating that I can end up having an 'impossible to beat' track no matter how efficient I get. (For the record, I went as far as the 4th series only so far)

Stayin' around for the next update!
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »

Interesting. Some things that might make it more interesting: (?)
Make the player a wizard or archer (or at least able to use a bow and/or spells) to give more options.
Archery could be aim-able but do less damage the closer to you it is.
You could have a shield to block attacks.
A way to switch enemy positions
A way move backwards (just because it's a line doesn't mean it has to force you to only move forwards.)
A rest move, and make attacking or moving or shielding use some stamina
A teleport move to teleport past enemy lines, but only if the space is free already
Bombs- delayed detonation but a strong, area of effect attack.
Make pushing only work against enemies of the same type (?) so then it can become a match-2 puzzle...
Make it possible to break fountains for money?
Perhaps you could also make it be 3 lines that can interact (i.e. the top line has an archer, the middle line has a knight, the bottom line has a wizard, and you move all three on your turn. You can keep going until *all 3* are dead. However, none of them can switch lines, so they can only get health/coins/items from their own line.
Overall an interesting concept already.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic