Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:04:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHarvest: Massive Encounter (release imminent)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Harvest: Massive Encounter (release imminent)  (Read 8719 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 01:03:32 AM »

That's because unused energy can be stored indefinitely, and it normally builds up, but once you're constantly using a lot of turrets, your stockpile gets depleted and you're making less energy then you're using, so there's a lot less energy in the network.

Aaaaah ok yea that makes perfect sense now!  I think I understand what that one meter at the top is for now...maybe it could be labeled more clearly?  I know that is scary for localization reasons though...

There are some hotkeys (one is z, the other I can't remember) which will quickly change your turret network.
Z will reroute a large network so instead of all guns (including B) leading to point A, you hit the Z key on B and they move to powering B up.
The other hotkey (x maybe?) makes it so all unlinked turrets within powering range of the selected turret link to it.

Also, right clicking on a selected turret will unlink it incase you didn't know, which is very useful.

Neat, I will definitely try these next time and see if I cant get it to work better.  I was really enjoying the mouse-only play though, and really, I think I would prefer to see those upper-left-snuggled mini-menus work there way closer to where the action is in general I think.

Ah!  Click-drag...hmmm there is much I have yet to uncover it seems Smiley

cup full of magic charisma
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 03:08:13 AM »

Hehe, that certainly looks hectic. I like the trick with building more power lines onto the enemies just to blow them up.

By the time I would resort to using that tactic, overcharging them will be too time consuming to be effective.

I think resource gathering should be faster or worth more. The overall balance isn't bad, but even when I'm extremely careful where to place what and how to expand, I notice that there will always be a point at which you will inevitably run out of resources... So all you really can do is fortify and hope for the best, but you won't be able to expand. There's extremely little room to build new solar units and focusing on just one of the three important things can not be done without sacrificing whole parts of your base at some point (I'm talking weapons, resource material and solar power).

It's a very cool and good looking game, but man the fear of getting overrun gives me goosebumps all over, the thought of such an invasion with inevitable defeat being this outnumbered is pretty disturbing. Smiley

"Fun is rule."
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 03:21:17 AM »

I think resource gathering should be faster or worth more. The overall balance isn't bad, but even when I'm extremely careful where to place what and how to expand, I notice that there will always be a point at which you will inevitably run out of resources... So all you really can do is fortify and hope for the best, but you won't be able to expand. There's extremely little room to build new solar units and focusing on just one of the three important things can not be done without sacrificing whole parts of your base at some point (I'm talking weapons, resource material and solar power).

It's a very cool and good looking game, but man the fear of getting overrun gives me goosebumps all over, the thought of such an invasion with inevitable defeat being this outnumbered is pretty disturbing. Smiley

Hehe, I'm not sure if you are negative or positive. You make it sound pretty cool Smiley Btw, your avatar would look pretty awesome in the TIGS dueling game.

Yes, the balance between energy, money and defenses is quite hard to maintain at times. We've seriously nerfed the amount of money during previous play test sessions, because some people were able to amass ridiculous amounts of money early on in the game. One hint on this subject is that a harvester only costs 5 credits (and can be sold for 2), so some people like to place several harvesters by each mineral patch. Of course, this requires energy instead. Plan to have at least 1 solar plant for every 4 harvesters (so if it says +20 you need 5 solar plants just to keep them running, and then some extra solar plants for your defenses).

I think the main problem is that new players don't understand that energy can be redirected between energy links. This is a major feature of the game, since it's your best way of optimizing your defenses or construction (for example, double-clicking on construction boxes is quite useful). We should address this in the tutorial, methinks.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 07:35:10 PM »

Hey guys, great game!

I played three times so far. I got to wave 18 in the first two and wave 32 in the last. I like the depth of the game and the strategical possibilities; I guess it could be said that Harvest is kind of like tower defense, except more fun. Tongue

However, I found two major, game-breaking bugs. One, there are two weird white stripes on each side of the Oxeye intro screen when playing at 1024x768. Also, the shadow of Buster's plane is rendered below the other objects (rocks and buildings). I cannot play any further knowing these problems are in place and trillions of people are dying every day because of them.

Looking forward to the next release! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:25:42 AM by Akhel » Logged
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 02:25:34 AM »

Time for a project update!

Thanks for all the comments, we have been trying to adjust the game as much as possible. All feature suggestions can't be added unfortunately, but I guess that's to be expected...

Anyway, thewreck (TIGS Duels) has redesigned our website, http://www.oxeyegames.com/ . We wanted it to be more like a blog (more "alive"). We hope you like it! Also, if you are going to buy our game, you now have the chance to pre-order it and get a discount: http://www.oxeyegames.com/harvest/buy-now/

In any case, we are working on the final changes now, such as voice-overs. It's one of the most exciting features to us, because we have never had real voice-overs before, but it's also the most expensive feature of the game. The actors we hired are Larry Jones, Dina Monaco-Borland, Robert Pike Daniel (he's also a VO actor for Penumbra: Black Plague) and Rick Scaffe. It was a quite good experience for us, but our VO-planning needs to get improved for our next game. The end result for Harvest was excellent, but it probably got more expensive than necessary.

Our official release date is March 5, hopefully late enough for most of the IGF news to pass Wink

EDIT: The open beta test is still available, and will be so until March 1.

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »

Hehe, I'm not sure if you are negative or positive. You make it sound pretty cool Smiley Btw, your avatar would look pretty awesome in the TIGS dueling game.

Hi there, yes, I've meant it all positive, but had a little criticism about the overall balance. Perhaps I simply have to try harder when people were able to get huge amounts of money early on in the game with older money balance settings.

(By the way, do you mean my current avatar or the one of the crazy dude I drew and had on there earlier? Either way, yeah, I agree, perhaps it would be cool in the TIGS dueling game. Smiley )

I think the main problem is that new players don't understand that energy can be redirected between energy links. This is a major feature of the game, since it's your best way of optimizing your defenses or construction (for example, double-clicking on construction boxes is quite useful). We should address this in the tutorial, methinks.

It's actually been a while since I've played, so I'm not sure, but yes, I do think I did not notice/discover that feature whilst playing either,

Cheers

"Fun is rule."
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 01:35:06 AM »

(By the way, do you mean my current avatar or the one of the crazy dude I drew and had on there earlier? Either way, yeah, I agree, perhaps it would be cool in the TIGS dueling game. Smiley )

It's actually been a while since I've played, so I'm not sure, but yes, I do think I did not notice/discover that feature whilst playing either,

Hehe yeah, the big head thingie. Yep, you should try again and make use of energy redirection, it helps a lot! Smiley

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »

We've posted a clip of the game's introduction on YouTube. Now with voice acting! Here's the link:

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »

This sounds really cool.
I read on the Harvest blog that NUA beats levle 1000
http://www.oxeyegames.com/harvest/news/nua-beats-level-1000/
Sounds very impresive  Shocked

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »

This sounds really cool.
I read on the Harvest blog that NUA beats levle 1000
http://www.oxeyegames.com/harvest/news/nua-beats-level-1000/
Sounds very impresive  Shocked

Nua's got an impressive record going, the current record is 3266. But that is in the current open beta, we'll see if he'll manage to repeat it in the full version   :D <- evil laughter.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:45:25 PM by Kinten » Logged

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 09:04:55 AM »

Ok, it's close to release time! Take a look at our new trailer!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:36:54 PM by jeb » Logged

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »

Anybody still reading this? Smiley

I'm playing the demo, and I had a question: is there a significant drop in effectiveness if your laser network has long chains in it? Like, is 10 turrets connected in a line much worse that 1 turret with 9 linked to it directly? There does seem to be a small decrease in response time for chains, but I can't tell how bad it really is.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 12:58:14 AM »

Anybody still reading this? Smiley

I'm playing the demo, and I had a question: is there a significant drop in effectiveness if your laser network has long chains in it? Like, is 10 turrets connected in a line much worse that 1 turret with 9 linked to it directly? There does seem to be a small decrease in response time for chains, but I can't tell how bad it really is.

Hehe yeah, I stopped bumping it when we got front-paged Smiley

Yes, you are right, the longer the chain is the longer it takes to charge it up.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic