Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:03:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGoldspace (TopDown Space Crawl)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Goldspace (TopDown Space Crawl)  (Read 27805 times)
droxon
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »

Nice style!
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »

Nice style!

Thanks!

I am currently prototyping one of the new map/progression systems i posted ealier:

You get a new piece of the map (now the red line placeholder) everytime you find it or talk to an NPC.
The line will guide you to the last level and final goal/treasure.
It will have a goal in each section.
The nebula and all the side secrets are still missing.

A draft of the new UI with the next goal present on top and also with the total loot in the lower right:

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2015, 05:57:04 AM »

It has been a bit quite the last weeks which is related to a lot of unvisible system work on the game but as well as a lot of creative work in my daily job.
But dont fear ... there will be beer!
A lot of cool stuff is on the way plus the story mode is taking shape.
Not much to show...have a fantastic weekend!

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2015, 12:45:04 AM »

The last days have been quite a ride. I am still in a "not much to show but a lot systems getting done" mode.
Something very nice happened on Friday. I wanted to relax a bit and though which game i could play.
I picked Space Pirate and enjoyed it a lot Wink
A very good sign after such a long time working on it.
It all realy comes together right now. I have a good feeling.

wip: scanning a planet

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »

Loot incoming!!!

Still have to fix the text though...

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »

hi space pirates!

I wish you a wonderful x-mas and new year.
Let me take this opportunity to look back and share some thoughts.

I started this project January 2014 (I think I started using Stencyl 3-4 month earlier). I understood it quite fast because I know Actionscript 2 pretty well. Its fascinating what kind of code I plugged together in the beginning. I reviewed and rewrote a lot in the last months to optimize performance but also to please my growing level of experience.
Some things I learned in the last months (maybe this is just my setup).

Compiling and versions:
I always test new versions or changes in the browser (flash). Compiling to exe would take too long for me every time. Opening scenes, actors or behaviours does not slow down the compilation time unless I close those again (until I close the app). I also restart Stencyl once in a while to have faster compiling results.
Some features work only in flash and not in desktop (especially code which runs through a lot of tiles and checks states). I have not figured out yet what the exact issues are but it also happens rarely.
Compiling as a PC user on MAC drove me mad. I was not used to setup up code x and what not to get it running. It was really disturbing to also install all the custom extensions but this might be my view as a PC user since 25 years Wink

Learning curve:
I enjoy Stencyl a lot. I have an idea in my head, I try to approach it, I fail, I try differently, it works, I got smarter. I like it. I like the interface. I don’t like the obstacles a desktop game still faces (full screen issues, some performance thingies but I can live with it. I really enjoy that I learned a lot. I could have built 10 games in those 2 years (getting better from game to game) but I preferred to have one vision in mind and prototype ideas to finalize or delete them. Space Pirate is finally taking shape the way I wanted it to be.

Motivation:
A blast in the beginning but I also have been through various valleys of death. I was very close to deleting my game files and never touching the engine again. I had so much fun. It is a rollercoaster ride.

Business case:
Is Space Pirate a business case? Oh no. I spend a lot of time on it (but again rather to learn and realize my vision). Too much time to have a business case. I spend some hundred Euros on art (which is not fully visible yet) and I need to finish it. I was contacted by a well known publisher one year ago but it did not work out. I would say it’s now feature complete and I will spend the next month’s polishing it and release it. Where? Let’s see. I would try Steam or Desura if I can get it there.
Its in the end too niche and too small. But it’s a game I always wanted to create. I Hope I can use my experience for upcoming projects. Space Pirate is a spare time project. Maybe, hopefully it will get some attention. Maybe not.

So what’s next?
As I wrote. The last weeks have been very productive and I am pleased playing the current version on my notebook or on bigger screens. I will polish all smaller features which are still rough and embed the final story which I still have to write. One thing for sure: No more bigger feature additions or changes. I need to finish it.

Anyway...have a fantastic x-mas!
Thank you all you testers, opinion givers and helpers.
I could not have done it without you.

Peace out!
New version next year Smiley

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:39 AM »

Hi  Space Pirates,

i am very proud to share the newest release (finally Mac as well) with you guys.
Have in mind: This game is still in development and will likely be done by end of 2016.
The current story and progression is a placeholder.

Have FUN!

Windows download:
MAC download:

-- Keyboard Controls: --
Move: W,A,S,D
Fire: Arrow keys
Select: Space
Change weapon: 1,2,3,4,5
-- or customize them --

-- XBOX Gamepad Controls: --
Left cross move; right buttons fire and select (tested on PC)

-- Changes from last version --
+ New random encounter system with ship preview
+ New dialogue system
+ New "scan and find hidden relic" mechanic (have the chance to find a hidden relic and get additional info)
+ New goal system (always show the next goal on bottom of star map)
+ Scan & find hidden relics
+ In level dialogue, log & note system
+ Destructible wall system
+ A lot level changes and adjustments
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:00:27 AM by Bombini » Logged

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2016, 02:07:49 AM »

General thoughts  & next steps:
I am really happy how the levels play out.  The levels have to be advanced but the gameplay itself is fun and the way I wanted it to be. I am not happy yet with the star map. It is still a menu as some of you mentioned. This will be the biggest construction yard in the next weeks. Altough…it got much more fun already…check out the new version.
I also want more focus on updates for ship, player weapons, add more reasonable items, fine tune some features and add some new ones and remove others which are not so much fun. Please take a look.

Star map (meta game):
I could not get the progression right yet. Right now it works like this: Do random encounters to collect resources (which works quite nice) and do linear missions (one special ship after another) to progress through the game. This is ok but could be more fun. One part plays the map itself (right now its search and beat) but very random.

Proposal meta game:
There should be one main goal when starting a new play through. It should be fun & challenging to locate that goal and it should be fun & challenging to reach that goal (beat enemy, find item, etc). Examples:
•   Find and beat famous space pirate and take her/his place
•   Stop spreading alien invasion
•   Find super rare artefact
•   Collect alien tech to escape dying universe
The player would get one of these goals randomly when starting a new game to have variety and get the missing ones after another.

Star map itself:
The current problem is that it is somehow fun to uncover the current map but not as much fun as it could be. Part of it is space itself. I as a designer can place harming nebula but I can’t embed strict easy to understand rules like on a map on earth where I have clear rules (need a bridge to cross a river, may have problems crossing mountains, forest hides enemies, roads allow faster travel and so on).

Problems:
I have problems hiding goals on the current map (its easy to uncover it; making goals visible once I have the mission is kind of weird on such a small map) and I have problems embedding choke points. Another problem is that I would see all enemy movement once I uncovered the whole map (which is easy to achieve).

Proposal:
Limit free movement to movement points. This would allow interesting hiding and map layout.

Current special encounters (bank heist, ice station):
It would be more fun to get those encounters from an NPC as missions and not just run randomly into them. This NPC would give you rewards if you would find a special item or kill a special person in this location.

Scanning space ships:
It costs right now 2000 credits to do so which does not make sense. I will remove that cost and rather limit scanning to 1 scan (which can be upgraded up to 3 scans per encounter) per encounter.

Fuel:
I am pretty sure that I will remove fuel from the game. It’s is not fun right now even if I give more fuel out (which is in current demo). It’s not adding much unless you travel from let’s say a galaxy to a galaxy and work for the fuel amount in that location/galaxy. The player would need to know how much fuel is needed to reach the next goal and plan for it. Right now its random and not fun.

Ship fights:
It is a bit weird that enemy ships are always boarded when encountering them isn’t it? I don’t want to add a crazy huge new system but I am thinking about adding a light fighting mechanic. Your ship and the enemy ship has hull and shield. You can fill up to 3 different slots with weapons and board the enemy (or flee anytime) when the shields are done (laser weapon attack lowers enemy shield). The attacks can be triggered each x second per weapon (cool down).

Features to work on:
Dying when leaving space ship:
The player is right now sucked into space when not walking on a tile. This can happen when massive explosions damage the vessel for example. This is an “ok” mechanic but frustrating when happening at the end of a level.

Proposal:
The player sprite will automatically use a spacesuit when leaving any ship (aka not being on a tile). Air will only be available for a short time. This will still put the player in a dangerous situation but does not mean instant death and also allows for nice puzzles and secrets (“will I reach it in time?”). I have to figure out how the movement will be to have a bit of a realistic touch (slower, always slow left move?).

Advanced shop:
Upgrading is fun. I want to add more upgrade states to the laser gun (firing rate, damage, critical chance) and various ship upgrades as well. This should boost midterm motivation.

Spreading fire:
It is a fun and underused mechanic. I need to fine tune it and include more puzzles. I guess slower spread and longer burn time is a good starting point.

New features:
Special suit:
I have not played Fallout 4 yet but I like the idea of having a special armoured suit (to use when you are stuck in a level for example or just to have a blast once in a while) which you have to craft (find 4 parts before use) and for which you have to find energy cores to use it.

New terminal hack “turrets”:
Disable turrets which should at the player or let them should at enemies.

Legendary enemies:
I want to add legendary enemies which appear in levels (like a strong pirate, alien or commander with a special sprite) after scanning enemy vessels. A skull icon will be added to the UI which will be a new parameter). The type will also give better rewards.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »

Spent some time with your game, I must say it look really competent. Graphics are a little too much low rez for my liking, there is some stuff I'm not quite sure to know what it is. But I really like the idea of having my own ship and wandering on the map. The gameplay is simple and enjoyable, I like blowing up ships engines :p The alien queen was funny, bosses lack of HP to be a real threat though. I can see it going somewhere, don't give up on on it! I fell on the void at some occasion, even if bridges were appearing in front of me. In general, I find a bit disturbing to be able to fall at some places, but not others, maybe needing to be made abundantly clear through the graphics.
Never was killed by monster or enemy shooters, always by falling to my endless death (and most of the time it felt unfair). Will have to make a longer session to see if the difficulty ramps up.

I'll keep an eye on it! Keep up!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »

Good points!

I actually got a lot negative feedback regarding the "falling to death".
I tried something quickly i had in mind:
The player can float in space (a bit slower movement with constand slow left movement).
It auto puts on a helmet:

It could add a lot fun and puzzles.
I want to a an "air meter" that you cant stay forever in space.
I will also work on the balancing.
Cheers!

Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2016, 12:01:24 PM »

Being a nethack fan (roguelikes in general) I quite like the insta-death stuff!

Maybe you fall unless you get your hands on a spacesuit with that ability...?

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:49 PM »

Playing it over and over. I wouldn't change much (I actually wanted to do something like this forever...)

- I think the pickups needs detail/attention for the player.

- The space map when traveling could be more flowing, not so static (maybe stars anim or the like...?)

- Nice level design and puzzles. Those graphics!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2016, 12:21:06 PM »

Thanks a lot!
I think the game is missing this meta part: Having a lot of upgrades and stuff (and maybe the suit) in a shop where i can also use the items i find. i will propably work on this next.

Reg death:
I think i would add a harsh "you run out of air soon" but allow the player to step out if wanted or accidently.
its fun to float around Wink Lets see.

Reg map:
Do you think a map like this (besides anim and so on) would be more fun?
(limited movement but more chokepoints; rather ftl like)

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2016, 12:53:45 AM »

I added a "oxygen" system. The player will die if running out of oxygen.
its already fun and allows a more complex level design:

I am considering changing the system how i handle the weapons.
Right now you can collect up to 5 weapons and change them any time in game.
I dont think that you do that  because its too disrupting. Another key and so on...
But...different weapons allow different strategies and are fun.

I think i will place all weapons that you found/bought in your own ship to pick up and choose from start.
Maybe placing some in the level as well.
But...and this is the change...you need to pick up a weapon to change it.

What do you think?

GamadGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2016, 03:06:12 AM »

Looking awesome!

Only maybe add an idle animations, it is a little bit weird that you are still walking if you are standing still Wink

But keep up the great work!

Unity game developer and tutor
Creating the game Pirate Treasure and uploading tutorials every monday on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFFZvgC7JUL6esOrL8LyWg
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2016, 03:58:10 AM »

Thanks!
I will. Also another leg animation while in space.
Cheers

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2016, 02:06:26 AM »

Hi guys,
I got soo much feedback Smiley
Especially why the enemies are all so easy. Well turns out that all health point for enemies were overwritten by a bug to 5 points Smiley
I am very happy to share a new version with some crititcal fixes according to feedback i got:

What changed:
+ Removed saving bug and broken game states
+ Adjusted spawning of random ships (won’t be near you all the time)
+ added second fire mode for Big Robot
+ Added auto save to every encounter on star map
+ Added idle states for player when not walking
+ Added new feature: Spacesuit (auto put on when in space)
+ Removed damage & bug from green nebula on star map
+ adjusted mg kill sequenz
+ kill player when leaving scene in space suit
+ Adjusted levels a tiny bit to showcase Spacesuite
+ Removed "every enemy has 5 health" bug and adjusted health for bosses

Have fun!

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2016, 12:25:07 AM »

Testing a bit the new weapon carry system :
  • Pick up weapon and drop current weapon
  • Carry only one weapon a time
It would allow interesting puzzle options plus i would get rid of the change weapon keys (which annoy me).
Moving and shooting should be enough. UI would change obviously to one slot.

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2016, 02:15:32 AM »

Space Pirates!

Remeber when i talked about a ship fighting sequence?
I thought it would be fun to decide between engage (board ship) and fight (ship to ship).
I also think that some tougher enemies would have something against flying next to them.
It creates a nice tention.
Flow would be: Starmap > Encounter ship > Choose to attack or board (and they might also attack you).

I created a small (ugly) flash prototype and need your feedback:

http://mabafu.com/spacepirate/StarfightTest.swf

Controls: Arrow keys to select button. Space to fire
Rules: Laser damages first shield then hull. Missile damages hull (goes through shield). Shield can block enemy laser.

Its rough but please let me know if you would like to see this in the game.
Thanks!

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2016, 05:31:02 AM »

I gave it a try and I first didn't really understood what was going on. I tried several times, and all the times I just kept spamming everything that was ready, I won. I think the idea of shield, weapons going through is nice, but I can't see if the shield does anything. Does the laser get a part of the damages absorbed? Rocket doesn't suffer from the shield, so there is no reason to not spam them. As for my own shield, I couldn't really tell when it was necessary or the good moment to switch it up.

Take the design of combat in FTL: shield is something that you have to take into account to most of your shots. Firing weapons in quick succession to take it down, then use a powerful weapon to disable a system if fun and engaging. Some weapon bypass shields, but they are slow to reload, and use consumables.

There is potential in that battle system, but right now what it lack is the need to time attacks and plan on attack sequences. Feels like a JRPG battle against trash mobs, you won't plan anything against this group of random goons, just spam the basic attack until it's done. So, if you want to keep this type of combat, make it more like a JRPG bossfights!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic