Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:56:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSTRAFE®
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: STRAFE®  (Read 33166 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »

FUN FACT for the DEMO:

After typing in your name, hit the Enter key by the number pad, then hit the Enter key on the qwerty part. You will spawn way outside the ship and can "float/walk" around the moon Tongue

oddjob
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »

Just checked in the Kickstarter, congrats guys.   Nicely done. 

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »

Fuck, We can't wait to get some sleep.

I hope you guys enjoy our celebration video.

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »

Too much epicness on the video...must...resist...

Anyway...congratulations...on the...funding...urghhhh......

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2015, 12:34:52 AM »

Good luck on passing the KS!

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »

Ok, so I've played the prealpha a few times now.

I don't like it, sorry, it's just too many strange things going on in it. I understand it's a super early version of course! And that you will change all these issues.

- Collision on everything and their mother, getting stuck on corpses, it's the worst.
- That orange that spits out and stays on the floor (and never disappears?).
- The camera, when you get hit, this plus that orange goo, takes the cake, wow that is annoying.

I play a lot of old FPS, not have, but now, I just last weekend played Daikatana in DM and I'm currently finishing of Kingpin again so. It saddens me to say this, but right now, Strafe is a next gen game that markets itself for being oldschool.

I will play this again and again over time when you release betas and I hope to change my current opinion later on! Whatever happens, I will most likely buy the game, to support efforts into making old "like" FPS games.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:08:18 PM by Hipshot » Logged

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »

Ok, so I've played the prealpha a few times now.

I don't like it, sorry, it's just too many strange things going on in it. I understand it's a super early version of course! And that you will change all these issues.

- Collision on everything and their mother, getting stuck on corpses, it's the worst.
- The camera, when you get hit, this plus that orange goo, takes the cake, wow that is annoying.

I play a lot of old FPS, not have, but now, I just last weekend played Daikatana in DM and I'm currently finishing of Kingpin again so. It saddens me to say this, but right now, Strafe is a next gen game that markets itself for being oldschool.

I will play this again and again over time when you release betas and I hope to change my current opinion later on! Whatever happens, I will most likely buy the game, to support efforts into making old "like" FPS games.

I agree with most of it.

Also, please let me configure the mouse's sensitivity.

Now my two cents:

I think the game should stop and think for a second why it has the ability to aim vertically. Most FPSes take this for granted when in reality this is an action that is not vital to a good FPS experience, especially this being a homage to old-school shooters. You can learn from Quake that the transition from "uni-dimensional aiming" to "bi-dimensional aiming" should influence the way levels are designed. The game is too horizontal.

This pre-alpha left me with the feeling of playing a claustrophobic version of an old-school FPS. I wanted to move quick and explore, but couldn't because of the small space I had to move around. (and the game's linearity is a huge bummer).

Long story short: Please make it less linear, make shooting and moving feel good and create larger and more vertical levels.
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2015, 07:02:28 PM »

They do plan for each world hub/chapter to have different themes & motifs.
siskavard
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2015, 11:19:10 AM »

This is one of the coolest features about the demo. It forces you to think about what you're shooting at & when.

I agree however that it might be a good idea to have it disappear over time? But even if it didn't I think it's something that adds a lot of challenge & randomness to the game.

If you fuck up and shoot things that bleed orange & trap yourself, that's your fault.
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2015, 05:00:26 PM »

This is one of the coolest features about the demo. It forces you to think about what you're shooting at & when.

I agree however that it might be a good idea to have it disappear over time? But even if it didn't I think it's something that adds a lot of challenge & randomness to the game.

If you fuck up and shoot things that bleed orange & trap yourself, that's your fault.

Sorry but no.
I judge this prealpha like it's the real deal. in it's current state, this is poor and it's not my fault. I know a lot of people like it though - a feature FPS-gaming have been missing.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »

no its definitely your fault. thats the whole point.

siskavard
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2015, 06:46:31 PM »

The acidic permanent blood is an intentional feature. You not liking it doesnt make it a poor design choice.
Peyton
Level 0

"Now Only 70% Rude!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »

The acidic blood, while interesting, goes against the idea of this being a fast paced crazy shooter. The fact that it forces you to slow down so much to not take extra damage shows that there is a bit of a design flaw in it.

I think it is a good thing to have in the game, as it is an interesting mechanic, but it absolutely should not be permanent.

I am just your typical 16 year old future game dev.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »

The acidic blood, while interesting, goes against the idea of this being a fast paced crazy shooter. The fact that it forces you to slow down so much to not take extra damage shows that there is a bit of a design flaw in it.

I think it is a good thing to have in the game, as it is an interesting mechanic, but it absolutely should not be permanent.

slow down is not the same as maneuver around

in the interest of "fast paced" it absolutely should last forever especially considering the amount of time you spend in any given room. like 5-15 seconds. you just blast through it as fast as you can so theres literally no reason for the orange shit to not be there forever, unless, you are forced to backtrack a lot. which remains to be seen.

god forbid you have to move left for half a second instead of holding up. or you could jump.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic