Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:05:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSTRAFE®
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: STRAFE®  (Read 33169 times)
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 04:00:31 AM »

Nice art so far!  Love the oldschool nostalgia I'm getting.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:14 AM »

We've finished the hub so here are some (poorly made) cinemagraphs to show it off! (sadly this does not have the lightmaps on currently)

Please share your thoughts!

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »

@Gluntronics
Yeah it definitely does, I love that you can just build the modular assets and props with Probuilder if it fits the style  Smiley

Also cool images, I feel like you could do more with the texture colors and ambient colors (making the area feel warmer or colder, maybe toy with post processing stuff)

You currently have these nice glowing blue areas from the technology, but that yellow feels a little too bright. I imagine an orange would fit perfectly.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »

Working on the actual levels of the game now. Getting enemies and weapons in. The level Generation is almost complete! We're polishing it now so it always feels good and there's less chance of a bad build.   

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »

Oh dang, this looks gorgeous and reminds me a lot of the favorite shooters of my childhood. I am intrigued by the roguelike/FPS premise.

Is there a specific FPS you are taking inspiration from for the gameplay, or are you mixing together a variety?
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »

Oh dang, this looks gorgeous and reminds me a lot of the favorite shooters of my childhood. I am intrigued by the roguelike/FPS premise.

Is there a specific FPS you are taking inspiration from for the gameplay, or are you mixing together a variety?

Thanks! We feel like most roguelikes don't start fun, you have to invest time for them to feel good. So our moment to moment gameplay is inspired by Quake and Doom, fast and Gib filled.  But the overall progression is heavily inspired by Spelunky and Binding of Isaac. 

After going back and playing Quake I was reminded of how much I love that feel but after beating it I didn't want to go back and play the same levels over again. So this was a way for me to attempt quench that thirst.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »

Happy to share our first enemy for the game. We will have 2 bipedal enemies for the prototype and a collection of wildlife enemies.

Meet the GLUTTON. These enemies are strong, dumb and always hungry. Only capable of using basic tools they beat their victims to death and eat them raw.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 01:09:03 AM »

Lovin' the lo-fi aesthetic, it's one of my faves. Can't wait to see the future enemies!
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »

WHY IS YOUR GAME SO PRETTY
NO FAAAAIIIIIIIR

Am I noticing that the shotgun is Quake II inspired? I miss 90s twitch shooters and would be thrilled to play this.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »

The low-poly, unfiltered, pixel art textured models are great! Though there have already been a few attempts to return to the old style FPS, more are definitely welcome in this day and age.

The decision to use projectile based combat is wise; it makes players feel as if they have more control over the action.

I'll be keeping an eye on this game!

Current Project: Shuffle Company
Twitter: JMRante
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »

WHY IS YOUR GAME SO PRETTY
NO FAAAAIIIIIIIR

Am I noticing that the shotgun is Quake II inspired? I miss 90s twitch shooters and would be thrilled to play this.

We had not used the Quake 2 shotgun for a reference but the Quake series along with Doom is such a large inspiration on this project that I'm sure it informed our decisions when making decisions on its design.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »

The low-poly, unfiltered, pixel art textured models are great! Though there have already been a few attempts to return to the old style FPS, more are definitely welcome in this day and age.

The decision to use projectile based combat is wise; it makes players feel as if they have more control over the action.

I'll be keeping an eye on this game!

Thanks for the comments! We're deeply encouraged by the kind words and input in this thread!  Grin

We've been craving the game we are building and even in the last 6 months alone there has been about 4-5 roguelike fps's released but none of them scratch that itch we are feeling. I'm hoping that we can deliver on the experience similar to the ones you remember having in the late 90's while wearing your nostalgia goggles. We are a small team with some crazy ideas but we are standing on the shoulders of giants that have already laid a great foundation for us to imitate and build off of. I hope we don't mess it up.

And I agree 100% with the projectile based combat. I hated the guards in Doom that would lower their gun and hit you from across a room. I want to bring a little bit of that bullet hell feel to this where dodging 3-4 enemies fire is a game unto itself.  Evil
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »

How far are you from a gameplay video?

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »

How far are you from a gameplay video?

I would estimate another 2 months before we are in a place where we feel confident showing it.
libertango
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »

As someone who regularly generates Doom levels in Oblige and self-imposes permadeath, I love the look of this.  Will it be fast?  Doom fast, or a little slower than Doom?

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »

As someone who regularly generates Doom levels in Oblige and self-imposes permadeath, I love the look of this.  Will it be fast?  Doom fast, or a little slower than Doom?

This is something we are still tweaking, since player speed can be upgraded throughout the game if we start at the speed of Quake 3 it will quickly become unplayable. So we want it to be fast and fun the moment you pick it up but like Gradius or BoI the game gets crazier as you progress.

I see Doom / D2 speeds being accomplished in playthroughs quite easily but you start a slower. (maybe around HL1 speeds to start) 
libertango
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 06:07:52 AM »

That makes sense. Progressing from HL1 to Doom speeds would feel very satisfying.  I don't usually like starting too slow, since a vast amount of playtime is spent at the beginning of a new game.  I have that problem with Tower of Guns, when I don't use the speed perk to start.

In terms of level design, are you planning to use pre-designed arena-style rooms that are randomly connected by doors, like in Tower of Guns?  Or will it be more similar to the Oblige randomly generator for Doom, which feels more like a typical FPS level, with key cards and all?
JosephElliott
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »

Just wanted to say this looks fantastic. The low poly look is perfect. It hits that sweet balance between fresh/nostalgic. Great work!

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »

That makes sense. Progressing from HL1 to Doom speeds would feel very satisfying.  I don't usually like starting too slow, since a vast amount of playtime is spent at the beginning of a new game.  I have that problem with Tower of Guns, when I don't use the speed perk to start.

In terms of level design, are you planning to use pre-designed arena-style rooms that are randomly connected by doors, like in Tower of Guns?  Or will it be more similar to the Oblige randomly generator for Doom, which feels more like a typical FPS level, with key cards and all?

Right now we are prototyping the 1st zone of the game. Each zone will have it's own collection of rooms that procedurally connect with 2 types of connections a standard door size 4x4 units or large door 8x10 units. The small connections feel like doors connecting rooms but the large portions feel like extensions to the room. Some rooms are one offs and some are halls, stairs or elevators between rooms.

We are planning to have each zone of the game have it's own unique feel and gameplay variants. We have planned to implement the idea of key cards, but cut it when realized that I never really had much fun searching whole level and getting lost for the right key. We have an alternative for that idea but the overall progression will feel more like Spelunky or Binding of Isaac. Kill shit, get tough, look for secrets and find the exit.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »

Here's some more stills from what we've been working on.

We are deep into the AI systems of our enemies along with animation.

Here's some stills of the new enemies.

I'll share some video soon.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic