Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:21:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIt Hungers - "One Button" Arcade Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: It Hungers - "One Button" Arcade Game  (Read 2080 times)
noahwood
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:10:30 AM »

Rampage through the city streets in this one button arcade game! You are hungry, you must eat, and people are on the menu! Don't let them spot you!

It Hungers will soon be coming to the App Store and Play Store where it will remain completely free, no ads, no in app purchases, just out there for your enjoyment(we hope!).  Any and all feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:49:54 AM by noahwood » Logged

noahwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:49:32 AM »

New version is up! Fixed a number of bugs and also tweaked the spawning of the Grocery Lady that drops all the pickups, as high scores were sometimes feeling more like luck than skill.  Also added some basic blob shadows on the player and food.

returnONE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »

Hey @noahwood,
I liked the art. It's good how clean it seems, and how it successfully separates the scenario from the gameplay itself.

A detail that I didn't liked was that having to stop, because stopping is usually a boring mechanic. One thing that could help out is to make the monster walk whistling instead of stopping completely.

Another con is that you have to keep pressing for him to run. In my opinion it should be the opposite, pressing to stop.

Also after a short while the gameplay gets kind of boring as it doesn't have any goal to pursue. I suppose that this game is really supposed to be this simple, but some features like achievements and some character evolutioning could make it more interesting.

noahwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »

Hi returnONE,

Thank you for taking the time to play and give your feedback (which is all excellently helpful). When developing this project, we considered adding some extra layers; i.e. achievements, costume swaps, etc., but our calculus on the issue was balanced towards getting the project finished... Based on what you've said, I'm not sure that was the right decision! We will definitely re-consider adding some sort of meta goal outside of the leaderboard to incentivize play.

As for the push to move, I was really uncomfortable with making him move on his own...I just felt like it was too reckless! I don't know, obviously that's a me thing. Now that you've chimed in to the same effect, I think it's worth listening to. It actually makes more sense... It's more direct and intuitive. Not to mention that out of all of your suggestions, this is the absolute easiest to pull off.

I love the thought of the alien just strolling casually when you put on the brakes! I think this could be worthwhile. Do you think that this would still be necessary even if we swapped to a "stop" button instead of a "go" button?

Cheers!

returnONE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »

Oh I understand the reason of the press to run now and agree with that.
IMHO, the strolling instead of stopping would be now the biggest improvement, maybe even making the "press to run" feeling better.

I think the approach of having the core of the game ready asap to get feedback is perfect, we also try to follow that. Maybe an update with something like Jetpack Joyride missions would be enough to keep the more players coming back.

What about monetization? This game is not going to have any? What is its objective? Disclosing the company name?

noahwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »

Our goal is really just to get another game out the door. There was thought of monetization, but ad revenue is minuscule, and the game isn't really designed with the depth required for something like an IAP. If we get players enough to justify it, we may look at expanding content in some sort of paid fashion, but until then it's our goal to simply build a little player base and to build something that's enjoyable.

Again, thanks for your feedback and for taking the time to play our game. Smiley

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:40:50 AM »

NOAH! Good to see that It Hungers is still alive after my departure! Maybe some day I'll return full force, but Metamoki's games and working on Slipshot on the side will suffice for now! Keep the ball rolling and the dream alive! Toast Right

noahwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 04:51:20 AM »

<3 to you, Dayle!  Gentleman

There's been a new release of It Hungers! This release features some bug fixes, but more importantly it features some tweaks to balance. There is tension between setting the difficulty of the game and the player's feeling of agency (feeling like they have control over their situation). We had swung a bit too far to the ease of play side which led to an experience that wasn't that exciting, now we're trying to keep the feeling that through player skill, you could continue on indefinitely without actually having players easily play in perpetuity.

The new version is live on the Google Play store, and was submitted yesterday to the App store for approval.

Cheers!

noahwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »

It Hungers! has been released!  Play on iOS, Android, or in your Browser!

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »

Hahahaha,the old lady sure likes to pass some wind.

noahwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »

The prunes keep her regular. Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic