Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:37:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsClive 'N' Wrench - 3D Action Platformer
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Clive 'N' Wrench - 3D Action Platformer  (Read 20822 times)
_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2017, 11:18:21 PM »

The last few weeks have been spent polishing up and finishing the majority of Clive 'N' Wrench's 1930's level, Cajun Mob Bog. It's been an interesting world to design as it sees a mashup of stereotypical 1930's gangsters in a New York style section with a Cajun style bayou. However what has resulted is a really unique feeling level with lots of room for surprises, references and most importantly puns!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2017, 03:57:52 AM »

<3

why are the numbers mirrored tho (00:20)

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2017, 04:59:21 AM »

Smiley Ah, well when you collect a Watch the number value spawns and immediately starts spinning and jumping. In this case it just happened to spawn mid rotation!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2017, 05:02:45 AM »

Ooh. Maybe you could start them off always facing the camera?

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2017, 05:03:46 AM »

Yeah, that's a fair shout. I will put it on my ever growing to-do list!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2017, 05:08:28 AM »

sorry! ;o; again, lots of love for this game!

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »

No need to apologise, it makes my day when people care enough about the game to give constructive criticism!

Polygonzo
Level 0

Hide your wings in a ghost tower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2017, 06:43:26 PM »

This game has come a long way, great work! Really digging the lighting and vibe on this new level.
_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2017, 11:02:23 PM »

Thanks Polygonzo, watching your progress on Happy Hell has been great for me too!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »

I haven't played Yooka-Laylee, but saw that many people have complained about control issues.  Could that be an issue for your game or is that "part" of the 3d platformer games.

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »

It's difficult to say really, I've strived to make the controls as tight and natural as possible. They've been tweaked throughout development and are at a point where new people can pick it up and fall right into playing without issues.

Bad controls are certainly not an unavoidable part of 3D platformers, play something like Mario Galaxy or Jak & Daxter and you'd see what I mean!

RobertGameDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2017, 01:52:23 AM »

Giving my 2 cents on the last video (I obviously know that this is WIP, just giving general feedback):
- The text box background is bringing the whole thing down, look into making it a bit better. (Actually the whole HUD needs a bit more polish in my opinion)
- The camera change when blowing up the wall is confusing, look at how Zelda does it: https://youtu.be/ix2W3-Bc71o?t=4m2s
- The video's fps is pretty low and makes the whole thing look choppy.
- The car audio sounds weird, maybe the sound of the car while idle is not as high as the turning sound?
- The music between areas changes too fast and it's a bit jarring, maybe having 5 seconds between the fade off of the previous music track and the fade in of the next one would make it better.

Overall the game looks great, keep up the good work!
_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2017, 12:21:47 AM »

The comments on the HUD are fair, that text box is definitely a place-holder! The camera definitely needs work, it's a constant battle to get right; no wonder so many 3D games end up with poor cameras, they are a difficult thing to get right!

The video frame rate is definitely an issue, the problem is my PC just struggles with running anything alongside screen recording software.

I appreciate all the feedback, thank you!

I've spent this weekend gone working to improve the overall character animation. Bringing it's cartoony qualities up to par with the cutscenes, really aiming for a Tex Avery feeling. The beauty is that this has drastically improved the overall feeling of control too, animation is do darn important!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »

I still cannot get over how great the jumping animations are.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2017, 03:07:14 AM »

I was just about to say; the "springy" quality to the jumping animations have me thinking *boing* in my head.

Great job on those! I'm by no means an animator, but I can see that a lot of time was spent into animating this fine duo!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
j-swan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »

Going to echo the previous comments, that jumping animation is stellar. Thought it was a AAA game until I saw the comment.

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

Excellent, I'm really glad they're getting such a positive reception!

Having said that, I still wasn't 100% happy until now. Just a few more tweaks to the jumping animation and I think I'm finally comfortable with it, again I'm amazed just how much of an impact a simple tweak to the jump animation can make to the "feel" of the leap (especially when using Wrench as the secondary to the main jump arc)!

Along with that, I've also been working to improve their spin attack. It now has a nice tail-off tween that helps give a bit more weight to the attack as well as reinforcing the Tex Avery cartoon style I strive for (again, with Wrench as a secondary tool which is much inspired by Abu from Aladdin and Daxter).

Lastly I'm now working on the "Daucus Industries Mining Operation" section of "The Chimp, the Bag and the Bunny". Should provide plenty of opportunities for platforming challenges with moving parts!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2017, 11:58:01 PM »

Out of curiosity: Did you play Yooka-Laylee? Do you think the critics were fair?
_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2017, 12:05:47 AM »

I did, and I do to a certain extent. I think some of the issues were down to expectations, mine were definitely too high. I'm very interested to see what Playtonic do next though!

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2017, 02:08:36 AM »

I've spent a few days working on a horse that can serve as both an animated "prop" for the main level as well as the boss' (Annie Oaktree's)steed! Trying to go cartoony to fit in to CnW's world but also keep the twitch movement that a real horse makes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic