Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:45:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsClive 'N' Wrench - 3D Action Platformer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Clive 'N' Wrench - 3D Action Platformer  (Read 20692 times)
_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »

More horse animation! This time with the western boss, Annie Oaktree, mounted and focused!

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2017, 12:15:58 AM »

Not much to share at the moment I'm afraid. I'm neck deep in some pretty complex cutscene animation; however, here's a peek!

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:44 PM »

Weeks worth of weekends spent working on cutscenes can be a lot of fun, but nothing beats level design! As such I've taken a break from the story-telling to work on the "training" level. Centred around an alternate larger dimension, it sees Clive 'N' Wrench embark on an journey... around their own house! At only 10cm tall, everything becomes and obstacle and allows me to create plenty of situations to dynamically teach the player specific moves that will be required in later levels. Plus, for younger or less experienced players there will be optional interactive screens for extra tips.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2017, 11:40:02 PM »

<3 i don't know why—everyone has their quirks—but since i was a kid i always had a "thing" for stories of characters shrinking down and exploring things from that perspective

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2017, 11:06:04 PM »

Me too! I think movies and games like Toy Story and A Bugs Life are to blame!

Apologies for the lack of updates, unfortunately my main PC died leaving me with the daunting task of replacing and rebuilding everything. Thankfully nothing was lost and I'm now back to it! - Always have backups kids!

I wonder how many references you'll spot!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2017, 04:53:49 AM »

"Bunny, I shrunk the chimp" haha that's awesome! XD

I love stuff where you get to be tiny and see things from an "ant's eye view" as well. What a good idea for a training level! I really appreciate the details like the power cords. Also it's really cool being able to see what's outside the window and also into the kitchen. Nice figurines in the cabinet back there too! And of course those classic games on the shelf. I really loved that classic "Spiral the Dinosaur" you know it still holds up really well to this day!

I've been keeping an eye on this one but don't think I posted before. But this looks like such a fun game, up there with "Jeff and Dexter" and "Socket and Clunk" Wink

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »

Thanks very much swordofkings128! I agree about the ants eye view, it's always and interesting way to look at the world!

Thanks to a recent hardware upgrade, I can finally show off some decent quality footage!

ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2017, 11:30:10 PM »

Looks fun! Nice animations, too. Smiley

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2017, 02:14:30 AM »

I finally have a full cutscene to show, with music, foley and VO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJlPRc2tpQ4

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2017, 04:19:14 AM »

I finally have a full cutscene to show, with music, foley and VO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJlPRc2tpQ4

This all came together super nicely :-D Impressive!

Sphere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2017, 04:23:44 AM »

Yeah, nicely done. Shame we don't get to see what happens to the bad guy though, we need closure!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »

Nice teaser video! Smiley

Yeah, nicely done. Shame we don't get to see what happens to the bad guy though, we need closure!
Gotta leave something for the game!  Grin 

Likely the bad guy is a boss. Noir  If that is the case then it wouldn't be that easy beat him in a few seconds.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »

Incredible, wow!! Really impressive cutscene! Nothing else for me to say besides that was some fantastic animation!

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2017, 11:19:26 PM »

Thanks guys! Have no fear, you'll have closure either when you manage to stop the runaway train, or when you fail...

Here's a quick preview of Baroness Samedice's boss battle!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »

The blurred background works REALLY nicely. It's the kind of thing that makes platformers distinct from old vs. new.

Great work! Also, agreed...the cutscene is wonderful.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »

Thanks! It's fake DOF (just a gaussian blurred skybox).

I've been back to Corsair's Cove over the last couple of weeks. It feels pretty good to be actually finishing off levels one-by-one. I have had the double edged sword of Mario Odyssey to contend with though (both as inspiration and a distraction!).

The focus of my work on the exterior section of Corsair's is to make sure there's plenty of room for creativity when it comes to movement. I want to achieve a feeling that you can go to any number of places from wherever you are in the level. This serves as a mini-sandbox which is a nice contrast to some of the more linear sections of the game.

I've also been working on further animation polish. Including both an added long-jump animation to telegraph that your trajectory is different when sprinting, and some updates to the pole climbing mechanic.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2017, 01:49:57 AM »

Apparently I missed the finished cutscene! It's really nice, but it kinda sounds like farting noises when the sheep hits the pole and right before Annie jumps off the train and onto the horse, which I feel is a little below the level of this game… Tongue I'm guessing that's not actually what they were meant to be, but might want to consider changing them anyways because that's all I can hear. Sad

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »

Glad you like it. Although I'm afraid your ears didn't deceive you! When I showed a test audience the animation without the fart noise, they were immediately asking if Annie had killed the sheep! So the fart noise was added as both a means of highlighting that it wasn't dead and also in an effort to lighten the tone a little.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2017, 02:38:48 AM »

Won't try and convince you if that's what you intended then, but if the only concern is to clarify that the sheep isn't dead, perhaps the good old stars/birds above the head might work. c: Why do I also hear the noise as Annie jumps off of the train onto the horse tho? Shocked

_Rob_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2017, 12:15:05 AM »

That's a fair point, well it's all subject to change... Annie definitely doesn't though, I think that may be you  Tongue

I've been back working on Iceceratops, trying to nail down an other-worldly prehistoric atmosphere. It's naturally pretty difficult to make a snow level colourful without taking away from it's cold themeing; hopefully I'm getting somewhere close!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic