Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:15:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThings that have never been done before...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Things that have never been done before...  (Read 41867 times)
increpare
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »

I wanted to make a game once where the character goes about destroying the elements that make up the game itself.  As you progressed, the character would lose his abilities, the enemies and powerups would end up harmless and useless, or disappear altogether, the sound, music, and color would all be lost, and the last bit would simply cause the game to close instantly.  I couldn't think of a good way to make it work, though.

Has that been done before?
the closest I can think of off-hand is terranigma, but that's not really the same.

Good idea though: do it.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with the Lost Garden article, especially because it doesn't necessarily apply to just games. Comics novels, and movies too, can have similar issues when it comes to sharing ideas. Frankly, the reason I have no problem doing it is that if someone does steal it, then their version will never be quite like mine. Because I came up with the idea originally, I have my own vision of how it should be made, and as long as I have the passion and dedication to complete it, then I believe the work will stand on its own merit. A great concept is a spark, a distant dream for the artist to fulfill. This, and nothing more.

As for coming up with original ideas, I don't think anything new is born out of thin air. Take The Sims, for instance. One can see the influence of traditional RTS or 'god games', including those that Will Wright is famous for, but the idea of focusing on individual people could have come from a couple different places. As children, we like to play with pretend people, and imagine controlling their lives from up high. Ask any girl who has ever played with dolls. Humans find other humans interesting, even pretend ones, and controlling other humans is an incredibly fascinating activity. All these elements were there; it just took Will Wright's flash of inspiration to put them together. This is how concepts are born: by taking what is already available and shaping it into something new.

When coming up with new ideas, my biggest suggestion is to look outside of the medium you're working in. The reason a lot of games are derivative is because they are inspired by other games, which were likely inspired by other games as well. To avoid this creative inbreeding, you need to look elsewhere. Shigeru Miyamoto claims he was inspired to create the Legend of Zelda series by his childhood explorations. Wonder why there are so many secrets and hidden areas in his games? It's because he liked venturing out into the woods (he was even a Boy Scout) and searching in caves and other places. And just like that, an entirely new style of video game was born. That is how you make original ideas.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »

I remember that I really liked the fact that in FFTA your main goal involved destroying the game world.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »

I'm gonna guess that you mean Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? I haven't played it, but that was the first title I could think of with those letters.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »

How about adventure games with voice recognition.

Lifeline! for PS2! i love this game it did really well in japan not so hot over in the states...

its not *exactly* an adventure game but it definitely is sort of like one.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »

Lifeline! for PS2! i love this game it did really well in japan not so hot over in the states...

I love this game- when it works, it works amazingly well. When it doesn't, well...

I'm a big fan of exploration-based games like Knytt. What if you had a handheld game, where the GPS co-ordinates the game received (maybe a cell phone game) generated random little bits of land? I imagine it would work similar to the Monster Rancher games, where most places would be randomly assembled, but certain landmarks had specially designed areas. For instance, the Golden Gate Bridge appeared in the game if you were standing nearby.
Willows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »

I'm hesitant to announce my original ideas to the public since, they are by definition, original ideas, and therefore of high value.

Pff! Either share your cookies or mow them down in silence! Don't just taunt us with stories of their delicious goodness! It's unfair, I say. UNFAIR.

Also unless you provided full design docs, it'd be hard to totally steal your ideas anyhow. a few-sentence idea only provides so much information anyways and could easily be actually crafted any thousands of ways.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »

Willow, that's exactly what I was saying. An idea is only the start.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »

I love this game- when it works, it works amazingly well. When it doesn't, well...

I'm a big fan of exploration-based games like Knytt. What if you had a handheld game, where the GPS co-ordinates the game received (maybe a cell phone game) generated random little bits of land? I imagine it would work similar to the Monster Rancher games, where most places would be randomly assembled, but certain landmarks had specially designed areas. For instance, the Golden Gate Bridge appeared in the game if you were standing nearby.

i really like the idea of different places giving you diffferent things i think this could be applied to a collection type game and be really great! thats not what this topic is about though..
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »

An RTS where the only resources are Ideas and Motivation. Motivation would be scarce and Ideas would be everywhere, but ironically, people would only fight over the ideas.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »

An RTS where the only resources are Ideas and Motivation. Motivation would be scarce and Ideas would be everywhere, but ironically, people would only fight over the ideas.

Mind if I take this idea or do I have to fight you for it?
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »

I have an idea for an RTS thats never been done before, but I think I want to make it someday, so nobody's allowed to use it.  Evil

An RTS where you grow resources to buy stuff instead of harvesting them. So the basic resource game mechanic would be HarvestMoon-esque (but much faster and simpler) and the combat gameplay would go by RTS norms, although it would probably need some rpg elements to pull it all together.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Lost Garden, but here you go.

Wow, those points are really stupid.

Your game design is simply a starting point
A game starts out with 1% game design and end up 100% production and polish.

Exactly, and as an indie, someone else might have significantly better resources for production and polish than me. Thus their implementation of my idea would overshadow mine.

It's not just the possibly-expensive production values, but all the little bits of design work that go into transforming a one-sentence idea into a fully fledged game.  I might have a great idea for a skill system in an RPG, but on its own that isn't a game - what the skills actually are, what they do in the context of the other activities the player is doing, is what will make it work.  Fleshing out this whole thing is the difference between being a game designer and just being an "idea man", and it's still somewhere an indie developer can shine.

Unique mechanics are almost never copied
At this point, many people claim that their design possesses a unique ‘hook’ in terms of the game mechanic. Take for example the Sims. This game had a great game design with some very unique and innovative mechanics. Holy crap, if only “I could have thought of it first” I could have made millions. Wouldn’t you love to go back in time, create a copy of the Sims and sell it before the Sims brand was established?

...and since I haven't made the game(s) yet and established said brand, someone else could do that before I even get the chance to try.

A game takes a fair bit of work to make.  Someone's only going to bother putting in all that work if they really believe in the game.  If you tell us your favourite idea that is most dear to your heart, we won't rip it off because we don't care enough about it to put in that work - only you do.  Once you've done it, we might wish we had stolen the idea because of how awesome it turned out to be, but not until you've already demonstrated that it was a successful idea.
In the Sims example, if you went back in time and told everyone all about it, still nobody would care because it hasn't been proven to be successful yet.  Until it actually succeeds people will just write it off as just another idea in a vast sea of decent ideas, and they'll be more interested in pursuing their own ideas that they love because they made them.
Personally, I'd love it if someone took some of my ideas and made them into games, because that would save me the effort.  I have more ideas than I'll ever get around to making, as do most people here I'd expect.

Okay!  Game ideas that haven't been done before.

- A strategy game on a hyperbolic tiling.  Usually everyone making these games uses a square grid or a hexagonal grid - why?  There are all these other grids they could use if they went non-Euclidean, and using one of the disc models they'd be easy to represent in a video game.

- A game where you cast spells by drawing magic runes and chaining them together into 'circuits', where the lines drawn are persistent and so could be modified later on by adding lines, cancelled by blotting them out, etc.

- A turn based strategy game where all players set up your turns by giving orders, and then they play out for maybe thirty seconds in real-time with no input as you watch (and scream as your carefully laid plans turn to custard).

- A space battle game where a couple of rooms are set up like a battleship control room in a movie; screens around the place showing sensor data, logistics, communications, engineering and so on.  Some chairs for gunners, with goggles and joysticks.  So you have a team of people taking on different roles, working together to control the ship, and as the battle goes on you could have equipment malfunction as the ship gets hit; screens go out, things shake, flashes, concealed smoke machines activate.. Totally epic.  I'll definitely do this if I'm ever rich.

- An fps with different character classes, some players are hackers and can access computers at various locations to do things like open doors, steal data, disable security systems.  The soldiers have to protect the hackers.  Have lots of detail in the world and lots of modular computerised equipment so you can do things like camp in a conference room of some office building you've broken into, reroute the security cameras in the corridor outside to the projector so that your team can watch out for anyone approaching on the big screen while the hacker is busy trying to hack something.

It's disappointing that most of my ideas are like "a game in genre X except with Y".  Genres should be descriptive only; applied after a game is made in an attempt to classify it, not something you start out trying to make.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

i really like the idea of different places giving you diffferent things i think this could be applied to a collection type game and be really great! thats not what this topic is about though..

Why not? I don't think anyone's made a game like that yet, have they?

Another idea I had was for an online racing game. It would be a parkour-style racing (I came up with it when I first saw Mirror's Edge), but all of the environments would be made of very simple geometry. Users could assemble their own stages out of these simple shapes (blocks, rods, things like that) and then paint on them to create textures. The textures would be painted in real-time, in a WYSIWYG (i really hate that acronym, but it's easier than typing out the whole thing) mode. Probably has a ton of flaws, but ah well.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »

A game where you have an in-game companion, like ICO, Prince of Persia, RE4 and so on. But instead of the companion being helpless and relying on you, it's the other way around. For example, the companion might be a wise old wizard and you are his apprentice. At the start of the game all you can really do is cook meals and run screaming for help when bad guys appear, while your master has all these kickass spells. You might learn his secrets over the course of the game and become just as powerful as he is by the end. Alternatively, you might stay pretty much the same.

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »

How about a meta-game where the game is to make a game as a community.

Dundundun. Tiger

Edit: Also I disagree that game designs that can be summed up in a couple sentences are usually bad. Classic example: tetris. Complexity doesn't make a game better. It's LOVE  Kiss that does.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »

An MMO hacking game. Has this really never been made?

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2008, 01:26:35 AM »

Natso made Galactic Hacker.  That was a pretty in-depth hacking game with a multiplayer component which only worked over LAN, so nowhere near an MMO.  There was a  browser based text version of it which functioned as an MMO which I hosted for a while.  It was really small and only played by less than a hundred people but it was really fun.  That is the closest I've seen to that.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2008, 02:21:29 AM »

It's not exactly something that has never been done before, but I'd like to do a game where the interface is based purely on sound with no graphics or text. So that even blind people would be able to play it. Or probably blind people would be even better at it than others. The game would take place in 3D space, and to get a "picture" of the space you are in, you'd need to make sounds to a microphone and listen to how it echoes from the walls. There would be waterfalls and other sound sources to help you navigate.

This has been done, though I don't know where to point you. Something that I came across a while ago on one of those serious games blogs - apparently there's a community out there that makes games for blind people based on sound. There wasn't that many of them, but for something that niche it was decent, and it's been a few years since then.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2008, 03:24:02 AM »

- A turn based strategy game where all players set up your turns by giving orders, and then they play out for maybe thirty seconds in real-time with no input as you watch (and scream as your carefully laid plans turn to custard).
The old Combat Mission games do this very well. They even have things like extra delays before green troops start executing their orders, based on how complicated the orders are.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic