Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:55:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThings that have never been done before...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Things that have never been done before...  (Read 41869 times)
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2008, 05:35:51 AM »

I don't understand what all these counter-arguments about one-sentence ideas are. Who said my ideas could be summed up in single sentences? It's not like they're just "<A genre> game with <a twist>". Try explaining Chess or Tetris that way.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2008, 06:03:03 AM »

Core Xii, I can understand where you come from, but like it's been said, taunting people by saying you have great ideas and then saying you can't reveal them is not very good manners. If anything I hope you do get around to make those ideas into reality. Have you made any other games yet?

Anyway, idea:

A game in which you cast spells by dancing. You don't control the spell casting, you control the dance movements of you character, and the spells come from that based on your movements. Mage battles would look like dancing performances, only deadly.

Think like Avatar battles, only with more elaborate movements.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Danc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »

A time game (sort of like Braid) where you start out with 10 hours of the gameplay already recorded and then you work backwards in time.   The view is more like that of an RTS and the game starts with very last member of the royal family on the run from invading troops. You watch them kill the poor girl. 

Then you get to rewind time a little bit and replay that situation with your character intervening. Every time you save some objectives, you get power to go back in time a little more. The 'history' of all the events is heavily scripted with betrayals, special characters, huge armies and cities that have been built during the invasion, etc. When you change things and play the game forwards, it uses RTS-style AI to simulate the results.

Finally, you get to the original point in time...the decision that made everything go awry. It's Memento + Hamlet.

take care
Danc.

Spry Fox, Lostgarden
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »

A time game (sort of like Braid) where you start out with 10 hours of the gameplay already recorded and then you work backwards in time.   The view is more like that of an RTS and the game starts with very last member of the royal family on the run from invading troops. You watch them kill the poor girl. 

Then you get to rewind time a little bit and replay that situation with your character intervening. Every time you save some objectives, you get power to go back in time a little more. The 'history' of all the events is heavily scripted with betrayals, special characters, huge armies and cities that have been built during the invasion, etc. When you change things and play the game forwards, it uses RTS-style AI to simulate the results.

Finally, you get to the original point in time...the decision that made everything go awry. It's Memento + Hamlet.

take care
Danc.

That reminds me a little bit of Varicella. The plot is a little bit like what you outline, although it's a palace intrigue and all takes place inside the palace (as far as I know). It's a text game, and has a 100 turn limit with lots of scripted events. So you need to play through it several times to understand all the possible machinations of the plot before you can beat it.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2008, 10:22:28 AM »

Core Xii, I can understand where you come from, but like it's been said, taunting people by saying you have great ideas and then saying you can't reveal them is not very good manners.

I suppose that's true. But I didn't blatantly refuse to share my ideas, I simply noted that I'm hesitant to do so; Perhaps with the notion in mind that someone might persuade me to do so. But thinking back on it, yea it was probably not that smart.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2008, 11:13:11 AM »

RTSs with Z-levels below the ground. (yes, like dorf fortress, with lots of digging, but gameplay more like the C&C series) Beg

I AM FREE!
increpare
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »

RTSs with Z-levels below the ground. (yes, like dorf fortress, with lots of digging, but gameplay more like the C&C series) Beg
This is interesting, but calls for some new ideas with regards to how to implement excavation...have you any thoughts on this matter?
medieval
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

A game that simulates the difficulty of drinking coffee, similar to QWOP

EDIT: I SAID IT FIRST.
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »

Go straight from starting the game to playing, without a title screen/menu/etc in between. Sirlin said someone should do this but to my knowledge nobody ever has.

Whatabout Flow? Flow did that...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »

A game where you play as one person's organ/limb, doing its job.

Oooh! could work with minigames like puzzle pirates!

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2008, 03:04:10 PM »

A game set on a chaotic battlefield... and the player doesn't have a weapon. A new breed of survival horror, possibly?

I actually have a horrizontal space shooter like that...

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »

A game set on a chaotic battlefield... and the player doesn't have a weapon. A new breed of survival horror, possibly?
A FPS game where you have to rob a bank.  Only you don't have a gun.  All you have is a fork hidden under your jacket.
Ah, that actually gives me an idea for a game that's sort of skit-based rather than mission- or whatever based, where you are thrown into typical game scenarios but lacking a key component usually necessary to complete the task at hand. A space shmup where you have no ship and must jump from ship to ship trying to get them to destroy each other (and then climb around on the boss ship SOTC style). A stealth game where you're just a normal guy in broad daylight in a crowded street, trying to hide from everyone. A wild west game where you have no gun, just a single rubber band.

A combat flight sim where you have to make the bogeys crash into eachother, ala TaleSpin... If only I did 3D games...

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »

An RTS where the only resources are Ideas and Motivation. Motivation would be scarce and Ideas would be everywhere, but ironically, people would only fight over the ideas.
I'd love to see more games where abstract concepts become concrete objects!

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »

- A turn based strategy game where all players set up your turns by giving orders, and then they play out for maybe thirty seconds in real-time with no input as you watch (and scream as your carefully laid plans turn to custard).

RoboStrike beat you to that...

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2008, 06:08:07 PM »

A game that simulates the difficulty of drinking coffee, similar to QWOP
Aagh! Make it now! With a realistic scalding liquid burn simulation.

Also I still really like the bird flight similation idea. There's something very alluring about that.

I love the internal organ idea, too.

Here's one I had a while ago-
you play as a sort of an abstract spider. You can't move directly, but you can spit out little springy webs which attach to you at one end, and the environment at the other. The webs contract as they harden, so you can manipulate objects with them or hoist yourself around.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »

That sounds exactly like

, Sparky.

Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2008, 01:48:15 AM »

Core Xii and lurkers with similar objections: I'm in the share-your-ideas-it's-good-for-you camp, but I can understand the fear of putting them on the Internet for all its evil people to see. Be sure to discuss them in private channels (IRL, PM, IM, email), though. People you know aren't going to profit off your brain without your finding out, and feedback from anyone is usually invaluable.

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
shig
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2008, 04:30:42 AM »

A game where only The Hero can supposedly destroy the big bad evil boss. But the main character accidentally kills him by running over The Hero with his car while driving drunk.

Now he has to prevent people from finding out that he just killed Earth's last chance. You go around killing big bad's evil minions using the most unorthodox ways while carrying a cardboard cut-out with The Hero's face badly drawn on it and making everyone think it was the cut-out that saved the day.

Also, anyone here played Toribash? Now that's innovative.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:03:56 PM by shig » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »

Make the drunk driving sequence interactive, shig, and you'll have a smash hit.
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »

I love games that let you somehow "break" the game. For example, I tried once creating a platformer where you could cut out pieces from the background and replace them. Would be quite cooley.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic