Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:30:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNegspace
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Negspace  (Read 67552 times)
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »

Just as a sanity check, 1 px around each tile = 2 px between each tile. Also, why overlap? Shouldn't need to overlap... Adjacent tiles should be able to share vertices and work perfectly, no?

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »

Yes they should! But due to precission/ floating point issues I need to make tiles overlap a little bit, since the camera moves in a floating point amount + rotates, and the tiles are placed in a floating point position, plus each tile being a separate game object sharing different pieces of a single texture.
(colliders are absolutely independent from tiles)

Lots of people stumbled with this problem in the Unity forum, so it could be a known bug, but I´m sure there must be a way to hack around it I´m not seeing!

EDIT: Solved! (Not really, did hacky image processing stuff on the tilesets and  filesystem acrobatics to force unity into accepting them without noticing... boooooring) If anyone knows a real solution I´m still interested, but at least I´ve got way more than enough zooming without glitches on my PC, without switching to DX11.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:07:35 AM by pnch » Logged

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »

Whoa! Huge bump to almost 2,5k views without any updates , if something special happened I´d love to know!

Nothing flashy enough for a proper update today, only logging to say I´m starting a new job, so expect  Negspace dev to be slow this week. I´ll be back reloaded and with money in my pockets soon, so it´s a good thing for the project  in the end Smiley.

Done since last update:

Missile and missile launcher logic is fully functional now, with missiles retargeting different players as they go, etc, and chased a couple of easy bugs where if you killed a missile with a laser the laser would be hurled away at high speed and such.

I had an inspiring meeting with @danielben, who got to play a bit of the game, and I´ve been toying around with feedback he gave me... E.G. Today ships feel like a racing model when fully loaded, and slowly tend to an SUV/Truck-ish feeling as your energy depletes... playtesting will tell!

Also added a bit of polish to the controls, but don´t worry, ships still float in space as they should Smiley

Porting decoys from the Stencyl prototype is next on the TO DO list!
Thanks everyone!

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »

Whoa it´s been a whole week, hope you´re still tuned, I´m glad to be back!

Update #7: Decoys WIP

See the little box grabbing the missile launcher´s attention for you?
The whole players-cloaked-by-their-decoys idea and code was dumped in favour of the simpler premise "Anything will aim for a decoy if there is one in range", as it has way more predictable outcomes and consequently is more fun. They help you to evade missiles, but may help others as well. You can try and guide a missile towards someone else through a decoy, but also you may end up guiding a missile towards yourself Well, hello there!

Close call! Missiles only explode if their TIP hits something.

Since missile launchers take 5 seconds to reload, you can see I can stroll around them unharmed after diverting the missiles.

I´m using the combination of left+right to launch a decoy to remove the need for an extra button, but then realized on most gamepads you can´t press them at the same time, duhhh. I don´t want to add a button but haven´t got a better idea yet...

Aaand, from last screenshot saturdays post, minefields are working!

More on mines and new stuff already done on the next update! Trying to catch up with dev again, thats nice  Smiley.

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 07:48:23 AM »

Nice gameplay changes. Also, the effect of having a floor which can be seen through at places to stuff much further back is really cool. Didn't notice that in previous demonstrations!

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 05:18:38 AM »

Thanks Scott! And there´s quite a bit of visual candy to be cooked yet, I´m trying to stay narrowly focused on gameplay for now, but someday I´ll get there!

Missiles, mines, missile launchers and a new ship type all feature color ID now. It´s still not fully consistent, but getting there! Meaning, you can tell who is being targeted by a missile or who killed who just by looking at it´s color, etc.

WIP on a new ship type, not that you can choose one (atm), it´s more an environmental thing (you dock on it with the standard ship, and then kick ass with the bigger one)... Also thinking on other kind of environmental effects to make deathmatch more complex, as suggested by @danielben. Not sure it´s the way to go, but I´d like to try it anyway! Getting better at C# Smiley Noticed when I had to revise the ship controller code to allow docking and man, it´s ugly! Coroutines make everything way easier.

fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »

This project looks really interesting! I like to visual style and it sounds like the gameplay will be fun too.

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »

This project looks really interesting! I like to visual style and it sounds like the gameplay will be fun too.

@Fractilegames: Thank you sir! Stay tuned, since I hope it´ll only get more interesting!

It´s been a slow week and I´ve still some stuff to do to wrap up a "proper update", but getting there... On the super bright side, got SHIP BOARDING working! check twitter for a spoiler if you´ve read that much, or even better be patient and the full update on the why´s and how´s will be here soon. Thanks for reading!

Canopus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2014, 03:08:02 AM »

Men, this recasting shadow thing looks really impressive. They sometimes look like giant 3d columns of a huge cathedral dome. I wonder how it will look with a softer shadow boarder.
impressive :D

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »

@Canopus: Thank you! Some words on scale on this update, and congrats on your own 2D space game!

3k views already!  Who, Me? er, hello everyone!

Remember the Star Wars maquettes? they weren´t big, but since they were only seen through slooooow pans of the camera, the sure seemed huge. Add to that the way smaller ships whooshed around so much faster, and you get the idea of the space-y feeling that scale contrast gives.

Getting a nice scale contrast on the game has always been in the back of my mind. I wanted to be fully integrated into the gameplay, not only some sort of "look at the huge ship in the background" thing. Besides ray-casting and the oppressive feeling it gives, I think another mechanic that´s bound to convey that feeling in a way that´s ideal for gameplay is...

Update #8: Ship boarding!

Let your smaller ship rot away in space after switching to a bigger, super- armoured, rapid-firing, slow-as-hell behemoth!

This mechanic got me refactoring towards a component-based logic instead of trying to wrap everything around OOP based logic... The inspector´s getting cluttered and drag and droppity, but I get to experiment with gameplay more quickly, which potentially pumps more fun into the game. I guess it will take some more added features to see how it all holds up together and this being my first game it´s the ideal time to do every mistake at least twice! Also:

Misile retargeting is now easily readable

Mines became more interesting now that they also got "retargeting" (don´t get too close behind someone else in a minefield or you may step into it´s wake of already active mines!)
Ironically, minefields are now a relatively safe haven for smaller ships, since it´s very difficult for a big ship to build enough momentum to cross one safely as smaller ships do.

Oops, mine retargeting was also working, and now this happens:

I´ll get at it right now, should be an easy fix.

Thanks for reading and looking forwards to your questions, critiques and comments!

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 07:38:03 AM »

Update #9: procedural camera action

Do you notice something different from previous camera action? And how removed the camera can be from the ship´s orientation and position? Not too much until I mentioned it? That would be ideal. Did you get a more dynamic feeling from this gif?

Coming from filmmaking, which relies on predictive camera action most of the time, procedural camera action always looks a bit off.

[rant mode]
The key is getting the camera guessing right where do you want it to be next, doing said guesses slow enough so you can cope with them without losing your orientation, and not too slow either or you´ll be frustrated by not being able to see something on screen, while also applying limitations for the sake of gameplay (e.g. you´d like to always see the whole field, but that wouldn´t be any fun).
Since it´s impossible for the camera to "guess" the exactly ideal view, the logic should also be simple enough to allow the player to predict where the camera will be next.

After spending another bunch of hours on new rotation methods (then discarded, again...) and different behaviours on camera positioning (new ones applied!), those are the new rules and the reasoning behind them:

Position:
1.velocity based offset.
-Given the velocity vector of the player, scale and clamp it.
When you drive a car, you naturally look further ahead when on a highway than on a normal street.

-Project the normalized velocity vector onto the "currently looking direction" vector.
When on that highway, if you look behind you, you´re still aware of what´s going in front of you, but not that further away (or with the same attention) as when you look in front of you.

-Smooth it temporally.
Your eyes move with your eye´s muscles, they take some time to get from point A to B, this mimicks it.

2.Offset along the "currently looking direction" vector.
You´re always paying more attention to whatever´s in the center of your field of vision, in this case that would be what´s in the front of your ship.

Add 1, 2, and ship position together, and that´s it.

Field of view:
-Add to the standard ship´s FOV a small amount scaled by the velocity difference since last timestep. This mimicks the feeling of being pulled backwards you get when accelerating on real life by literally pulling the camera backwards when accelerating.

Rotation:
1.If the ship´s angular velocity is bigger than a threshold, apply ship´s rotation directly.
Since high speed rotation in real life is disorientating, let it be!
2.Else, apply a carefully crafted function returning the magnitude of the rotation based on the angular velocity.
Since you don´t have your head aligned with the front wheel of your bike when it´s turning, you tend to keep look forward if you´re just adjusting your course, or, if on a curve, you look first to the side and then turn. Since I can´t predict you´ll turn, I try to compensate with a higher rate of rotation when you are actually turning. Getting that ramp aligned with the game´s mood meant a lot of iterations!

Losing the center lock on the player makes the camera less predictable by the player (which is a BAD thing), but affects gameplay in a nice way:
-now you can´t stay safely just-out-of view from someone else, since that distance is now changing all the time.
-the new "looking ahead" camera allows for a more aggressive gameplay, since you now know in advance what you´ll ram onto if you keep throttling,
- high speed chases between players happen more frequently.

[/rant mode off]

Hmm... big wall of text happened!
If this was interesting for someone it´d be nice to know, mostly to prevent myself from further ones if it wasn´t  Smiley. Anyways, here´s a spoiler on what´s hopefully coming on the next update!

Thanks everyone!

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »

Really great thread, keep it up!  Smiley

The new camera reminds me a bit of the Oculus rift, where when you turn your head it takes a few seconds to catch up completely.(Which was a major factor for me dying when using it haha!)

I personally prefer how the ship was in the center of the screen because had more of a tight pilot feel to it, helping the screen rotation not get tiring.

Also the flickering lights kill my eyes (I've never had this problem before, maybe I'm just tired)

Looking forward to watching your progress!  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right
pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »

@kitheif: Thank you! and thanks for the feedback as well!

Reading about real life jet pilots and how they constantly fight not to lose consciousness on tight turns  made me want to experiment in conveying such feelings in the game when you are piloting an agile ship, that´s why some aspects on the camera are meant to be disorienting, forcing you to think twice before doing any extreme manoeuvering.
Of course, in a real match movement becomes much more calculated than those shown, unless you are on a desperate situation... It will get some more feedback such as yours and test runs to know how it´s really working right now.

About flickering lights, if that´s happenning to you I should absolutely tune those down just in case, has anyone else got a bad vibe from them?

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »

I definitely agree that when you have the camera's position and rotation lerping at the same time that it feels a lot more like maneuvering in a ship, which is sweet... how does it feel to shoot from though?

What if the camera became more loose when your ship moves faster, but when you're slower it's tight like the original gifs??

Or what if you had a key to hold to pull in the camera? Sort of like iron sight..
pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2014, 06:04:27 AM »

@kitheif:
When you shoot the recoil pulls you backwards, so there´s no new velocity projected to the front direction (and so the camera stays with you). When you move slowly the camera position stays with the player, maybe I should add a base threshold , though, will come back with more gifs demonstrating all that after some test runs + iteration!

I´d love the controls to be as minimalist as possible, atm I´m even not using an already developed mechanic (decoys) for the sake of not adding another button, so Iron Sight button is not an option (not that it wouldn´t work for a specific ship later on!).

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2014, 09:48:51 PM »

I´d love the controls to be as minimalist as possible
sounds good Hand Thumbs Up Right

Looking forward to updates, I'm interested in seeing what you decide to do with the camera!
pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »

@kitheif: Thanks! So do I, got some more ideas but I´m putting cameras aside until I get to test them in real matches with the new set of features.

Update #10: Escape pods + refactoring

It can´t shoot, but it´s quite hard to take down due to it´s size. It can board every bigger ship that´s empty, but has a very limited fuel amount.

The bigger ship yet, for reference.

And a new boarding test.

In the process I´ve (hopefully) completed a refactor of ship´s logic and camera handlers. Adding more ships (I don´t think I´ll be doing that, at least for a while) and features is way faster now! Boring stuff, let´s just say it included many game-breaking episodes and that I´m glad everything´s feeling stable again. Lips Sealed

I´m going next for an eject mechanism (that´s how the escape pod gets into the game), and yes, I´ll have to finally add another button for that, so decoys are coming back soon! I´ll try to get everything working nice with 4 arrows + one button.

On the PR side of things, it seems a Facebook page it´s a thing to do!
I know a big part of devlog readers aren´t tigforum users (I´ve been there!), I hope it will become a nice new channel for you to easily get your feedback heard, and news followed  Smiley.

Thanks for reading!

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
Fb
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »

Woke up this morning to more than a hundred followers on the just started Facebook page   Shocked. I made this for you.

Be welcome!

pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »

Remember I said no more ships for now? I kind of lied...

Only a nifty new toy I developed this morning while experimenting with procedural generation, so no new gameplay yet, but if I ever decide to add more ships, this sure gets better outlines than myself!
Huge batch of these scheduled for #screenshotsaturday, helping to spread the word! Coffee.

Now back to bug smashing!

YM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »

Woo those look rad! (well, not third down on the left edge...)

Some have floating bits, is that intentionally allowed?

Also any chance of asymmetry? I'm a sucker for asymmetry
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic