Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:13:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs5 Minute Dungeon - 2D Metroidvania [Alpha demo available]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: 5 Minute Dungeon - 2D Metroidvania [Alpha demo available]  (Read 15768 times)
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »

Whoa I love that dragon in your previous update! Going to check out the alpha tomorrow morning and then I'll get back to ya  Wink

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »

Interesting idea here!

So far the only quip I have is that I really like the 1st iteration of the HUD you had than the newer one where all those hearts are taking up space. I liked how much more compact the original version was.

Also. Why not have an enemy that IS an actual bat along with the flaming skull? You can never go too wrong with 2 types of flying enemies Wink

And that its a "metroidvania" styled game. Will there be any items that either add to current or grant new abilities? Like a pair of boots that give you a double-jump ability. Or a jump spin slash.

But just things that were on my mind. Other than that. Looks great!

Beta Coming Soon!
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:01 AM »

Btw, could this one really be classified as metroidvania? To my experience, metroidvanias ussually play a lot different. Like you can move between rooms, forward and back. Lots of backtracking, and the power ups are ussually there for the whole game, once you unlock them. This one seems more like a roguelike(or lite, don't know), action platformer.

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 01:19:22 AM »

Hey, pretty fun game! I just completed Rogue Legacy the other day and this is pretty similar, also reminds me of Vagante and games like that too. I'm interested in seeing how you're going to differentiate your game from other games from the same genre.

A few things I'd like to see you implement:

- Knockback when hitting enemies (maybe only certain enemies can't get knocked back) right now the enemies just walk at you and it makes it hard to combo them, etc.

- WASD Please! This is just a personal preference, but I'm so used to using WASD rather than directional keys, it would be nice to have controls as an option (I know you haven't implemented any options yet, maybe for now you could have it just a toggle for two different button layouts)

- A little more character weight maybe? The movement felt a little "slippery" to me, felt hard to perform simple jumps, not sure exactly what it is but I think it's just number tweaking (gravity, jump height, move speed, etc.)

Aside from these small nit picks, I think it's coming along great! Keep it up and I'll be keeping an eye on your progress!  Beer!

-

Pericuelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 01:58:56 AM »

This game looks very nice! I love the graphics, and the control is very comfortable.

With the randomly generated rooms, how do you plan to do the metroidvania style upgrades?

As a final detail of the demo, maybe I was wrong but the vanishing and not vanishing platforms look exactly the same for me.

Great work! Waiting for more!

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:04 AM »

So just played the alpha and I must say so far so good!  Smiley

I cam across a few things that you may already be a aware of however just in case here they are:

1. When you attack in the air (with any of the weapons) the weapon is stuck in a forward pointing position and doesn't return to the character's shoulder. When this happens no sfx is triggered.

2.If you swing quickly and then turn in the opposite direction no sfx is played however there is an animation for it.

3. Once killed by the spikes the damage indication and sfx continue to play even though the player is already dead.

4.In the helmet room once you select the second helmet you receive the 3rd one instead and the same is vice versa for the 3rd one.

5. I think if you don't want the player to be able to go back to the previous screen there should be an invisible wall of sorts at the end of the screen rather than let them walk off screen.

6. I also think since the barrels are the same everywhere they should be also breakable in the hub world.

7. Several assets don't have a sound assigned to them yet. (I can list these for you if you want)

8. Lastly the sfx for the dragon's fireballs is a bit repetitive as it's the same sound file being triggered over and over again.

Annnd that's everything that I came across but overall awesome work!!  Hand Clap Wink

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »

Whoa thanks for playing everyone and for the massive amount of feedback. I really appreciate it!

You guys are right about the metroidvania part, I'll change that. The game started out as a metroidvania but along development it changed more to a roguelite, action platformer as @aamatniekss rightly mentioned.
I'll get around adding knockback to enemies, I just didn't implement it yet, because I think the game would be to easy that way and I'll have a look at the character movement. It just I'm so used to it now, that I don't really understand how it must be for someone playing for the first time. Same goes for the vanishing platforms, So I'll make that more recognizable.

Here the answers to @meremonkey 's points.

1. Known bug yes, but thanks  I didn't expect people to find it.

2. I'll have to test this, because I can't remember this one, but I'll get around and try to fix it.

3. Thanks, I'll have to fix that.

4. Haha, that's pretty silly, but an easy fix, thankyou

5. Thanks, I can imagine people trying to go back to the previous maps at their first time playing. I think I'll make closing gates when you enter a room, so there's no confusion about it.

6. I did this on purpose actually, but I'll add that, might be fun to test your new weapons out on these.

7. Yep, I'm pretty bad at soundeffects, I just downloaded sfxr and played around with it, so a lot more sound effects are coming.

8. Same as above, but I'll try to make every other fireball a lower/higher pitch so it doesn't feel as repetitive.

What did you guys think about the room set up?
Right now it's every 10th room a Treasure room where you can buy powerups.
And every 20th room a bossfight.
I plan to change it to:
Every 30th room a bossfight, so you'll have time to purchase 2 upgrades before a bossfight.

What do you guys think?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 02:11:58 PM »

if you want to be a good game maker, you had better play Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon;s Trap. and the gg shinobi games. peace.
i agree with super joe
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »

gg shinobi games are? what? 2D shinobi games?

mokapharr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 05:08:07 AM »

I love the clear graphics. Very readable
AngeloMC21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 06:26:38 AM »

Awesome. Somehow reminds me of Rogue Legacy. Can't wait for this game..
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic