Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:47:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs♜ Kingdom ♜
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: ♜ Kingdom ♜  (Read 79934 times)
Neuneu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2015, 06:23:30 AM »

Hi Chris,

it's my second try and i didn't notice to be blocked at the first ( did 35 days btw )

So i'm going to survive longer to check if i can go further.

anyway,  here is a video exemple of my problem,  it's one of my stream,  made in english on purpose :

other subject, i see your avatar and think of Rain World ^^   any news of it ?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:46:31 AM by Neuneu » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »

hey, great game. i was already a fan of the flash version and this sequel/remake is everything i hoped for.

one thing tho: why are my archers so bad at hitting things? they seem to be shooting right past enemies or into walls way too often.
fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »

Congrats on the release!

It was nice meeting you at the release party!

rentheunclean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »

I checked out your booth at PAX (I was the guy that got pretty far then bullied you into giving me a shirt! Who, Me? ) and was super impressed so I immediately bought it when I saw it on the front page of Steam!

Congrats on the release!
Cryogenic_war
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2015, 10:37:16 AM »

I have played the game for 4 runs now and let me say its an incredible game. Tower Defense will never die. The only 2 things i want to say is that the game needs a better navigation system, may be as an upgrade inside the game. And another thing is that the castle upgrade (which makes 3º and 4º upgrades of towers and walls possible) i noticed that its available a bit late. May be it has to be earlier because its impossible to defend against the hordes and those darn gargoyles without those upgrades. And they come and destroy everything because i wasnt able to upgrade my defenses in time.

Just that, but more important of all is the navigation, it has to be faster when your empire is really large.

Thx for the game, i really enjoy it. Beer!
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »

Thanks everyone! We've been blown away by the response. The internet has a lot of mouths Smiley

It has been lovely to see people play in totally different ways than we thought. And interesting, too. We're definitely planning on making managing a huge castle more enjoyable Smiley

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
Actionman
Level 0

ermm...

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »

Absolutely loving the game   Smiley

A few little bits of feedback
  • A couple of runs I played the masonry tower (thing to get stone walls) spawned beyond an active portal, made progressing very hard.
  • Sometimes if you get truly decimated at a later stage (when you aren't receiving much tax) you can get to a point where it is literally impossible to come back from it and all that is left is to wait to die, i might be an idea to have the random chests on the map regenerate from time to time as this would allow for continuation
  • I'd love a main menu

But great game, can't wait to see where you take it from here Smiley

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »

I have played the game for 4 runs now and let me say its an incredible game. Tower Defense will never die. The only 2 things i want to say is that the game needs a better navigation system, may be as an upgrade inside the game. And another thing is that the castle upgrade (which makes 3º and 4º upgrades of towers and walls possible) i noticed that its available a bit late. May be it has to be earlier because its impossible to defend against the hordes and those darn gargoyles without those upgrades. And they come and destroy everything because i wasnt able to upgrade my defenses in time.

Just that, but more important of all is the navigation, it has to be faster when your empire is really large.

Thx for the game, i really enjoy it. Beer!
So how many days in have you gotten? I managed 32 my second time, and 23 my 5th. Really hard stuff. Took the shorter runs to figure out what all the 'statues' do.

Navigation, I think, with how the horse runs, needs at least a once-upgrade. When you clear 4-5 sections on either side (I guess I mean enlarging the edge-barriers by 5- to 6-fold, then we need a way to power up the horse so it can sprint even harder. Though, the main reason I died on that reign was because I hadn't learned about the stone update yet.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »

We've just made the horse a little faster in today's patch. But we plan to put some more serious thought in to how the end game should look and try to prevent the more repetitive aspects of having a large kingdom.

JohannesMP
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »

(Note: please let me know if there is any medium where you'd prefer receiving bug reports/feedback)

I had an odd bug occur with a catapult:

- After purchasing a left-facing catapult, while waiting for the builders to come over, I was able to purchase one again (the coin slots appeared and I was able to 'pay', with money getting removed from my purse). This resulted in a second catapult being build, but then left sitting on the building grounds without getting moved: http://i.imgur.com/34GpK8j.png
- When I saved the game and reloaded, my other left catapult was gone, and the bugged out one remained. Basically I had to play the rest of the game without a left catapult. Really annoying.

Other bugs:

- This only happened once, but by some combination of pressing left/right/down when starting a new game, I ended up in a version of the game where the 'kingdom' monument never spawned, the king was placed to the left of where the monument would be (so far longer from the camp than when in a proper skip tutorial game), tutorials were off, and even after 5 nights and level 3 base, my horse would not allow me to pass further into the forest on the left/right side, meaning I could never reach the portals or find the shrines/chests/etc. I actually managed to back up the save file as well: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8rjUBGxLFJ0c0NjZDd4c1hVOGs/view?usp=sharing - when you start the game it's at the very beginning. Notice how no kingdom monument spawned to the right of the king. Notice how, despite tutorial text being disabled, the horse will always refuse to move into the woods on the far right/left.
- On mac 10.11 in windowed mode the titlescreen bugs out as grey until the loading animation starts: http://i.imgur.com/QGLahx5.png .
- When sending out a battalion of two knights and their archers, the one behind the first one will often jiggle up and down erratically by a pixel or two while walking (no doubt he is just excited to face the enemy portal)

Other feedback:

- One of the most frustrating parts was builders that would sit around at the town hall at night when they would really be needed at the catapult to reload. When an attack hit, by the time they walked all the way to start reloading, it was often too late. I feel like if certain conditions are met (a catapult exists and it is night and there is nothing else to do) at least one builder should idle by the catapult.
- Similarly it would be nice if non-fighting units had a chance to 'panic' and run away from monsters. They could even become out of breath after running for a few seconds, so unless there are walls nearby, the monsters would still finish them off quickly.
- This has probably been requested already, I'd love to have more randomization of the starting king/queen. Clothing, hair-style, crown-style, and most importantly horse color should be randomly generated just like dress/cape color and skin color are now.
- It's frustrating that you can't 'save' your emblem once you've upgraded past the initial base level. It would be nice if the option remained available somehow even into the townhall/castle levels.

In any case, I've enjoyed the game tremendously so far after seeing it mentioned on Jesse Cox's Fan Friday. I put in a good 8 hours over the last few days Smiley

Testing Specs: Steam version for mac, on MacOS 10.10 and 10.11 (early 2011 Macbook Pro and custom Hackintosh respectively)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:59:38 AM by JohannesMP » Logged
Cryogenic_war
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2015, 07:27:19 AM »

So how many days in have you gotten? I managed 32 my second time, and 23 my 5th. Really hard stuff. Took the shorter runs to figure out what all the 'statues' do.

Navigation, I think, with how the horse runs, needs at least a once-upgrade. When you clear 4-5 sections on either side (I guess I mean enlarging the edge-barriers by 5- to 6-fold, then we need a way to power up the horse so it can sprint even harder. Though, the main reason I died on that reign was because I hadn't learned about the stone update yet.

Thx for the reply. Yeah, eventually i figure it out that one of the statue/monument is for upgrading to stone walls. That makes things easier, one of the first priorities in day 10 at least. Im in my 6 run and i didnt die yet, im in day 39. But its getting really hard, specially those freaking trolls, its like a shield for all the monsters below them. And those gargoyles or whatever they are, my God they are annoying  Outraged...

Now the team made an improvement to the horse sprinting and all (with other cool stuff), but i think they have to add an upgrade to make the horse have much more stamina.

Now that i played the game even more, i came up with some ideas to improve the game:

1 - We need more micromanagement for the workers, like orders to give. Orders to stay in some area (like between one wall and another) and do their job in only that area. Making them to make only one task or two, like work orders. For example, one worker will always be at catapults, another worker will care to fix the walls, and so on. You can choose the work orders by standing next to them, or may be a more general GUI for the workers only. I could explain it better in spanish, sorry for that lol.

2 - An-do constructions. I did some mistakes at making workers go to chop some tree, or upgrade some tower or wall when the night was coming. And not only making workers go die, but the walls they are unfinished and are useless in that state. So an an-do construction system would be nice.

3 - A simple ai to calculate how much time it would take to some worker to go make a job outside the last wall or upgrading the last wall itself, doing the job and go back to the camp without losing his life (or his tool and cloth xD). So if the calculated time is less than the arrive of the night and/or monsters, they will do it. Otherwise, they wont. This may be correlated to point 2.

4 - Orders to give to archers as well. Sometimes happen that is not balanced one side from another. In West i have like 5 archers, but in east i have 8 or 9. So having the capacity of ordering them to move one side or the other would be cool. Another thing for ordering is to making archers that are in towers go to the front where they are more needed. And yet another thing would be cool to add an option to retreat to the back wall. That would be really helpfull.

5 - This is kinda complicated, but its really random where the monsters will attack at full. So may be a split screen to know what is happening in the other side would be cool. Several times i went to one side hoping the monsters will get in the side i was, but when i go to the other side, the monsters went through all the other defenses.

Hope you like my ideas. Cheers!

Edit! I forgot this 2 more things:

6 - More upgrades to walls and towers! It would be cool to upgrade your towers so those flying monsters cant take the archers from the tower, as well as having more archers in the towers would be cool. The same for walls, and may be with spikes so the monsters get hurt when they attack, just a little.

7 - Upgrades for your archers. This can be accomplished in 2 ways: Upgrading them manually (may be a better bow or something) or implement a xp system for them (every kill gives them XP, more levels give more accuracy and damage).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:53:48 AM by Cryogenic_war » Logged
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »

Just wanted to say congrats on all the success you guys are having. Looks like things are going really well! That's awesome.

I forgot I backed the Kickstarter back in the day and got the steam key in my inbox the other day. Looking forward to giving it a whirl. Super cool you guys gave keys to everyone who backed the KS even though it wasn't successful.

Flex0r75
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2015, 11:21:33 AM »

Hi, I just finished the game on day 22 but the game didn't end properly (beat it before on day 70). The days and nights would just pass without being attacked, farmers and archers never moved again, just stood around near upgraded farms and walls. So I guess that would be a bug Smiley

I still have the savegame, if you're interested, starting on day 21 when all 4 knights will take down the last portals on each side. I sent the group on the east during daytime on day 20 when I knew the bloodmoon assault would come from the west. So they had 3 whole days and 2 full nights of uninterrupted marching towards the last east portal. The knights on the west and a whole bunch of archers and the catapult made short work of the bloodmoon wave from day 20 and at the start of day 21 I sent them to the last west portal. Because it is before the increase in portal defence starting at day 23 (I believe) sending 2 knights to a portal is a one shot kill, even with the increased HP from latest patch. I killed the first two portals on day 16. That time, because of the distance they killed the first east and west portal simultaneously during the night so both big waves came upon a mass of archers, the catapult and builders to reload them because I built walls next to upgraded farms, so I survived the third bloodmoon (no big deal) and then the following night 2 huge bloodmoon waves from both sides Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:29:22 AM by Flex0r75 » Logged
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2015, 05:35:05 AM »

The days and nights would just pass without being attacked, farmers and archers never moved again, just stood around near upgraded farms and walls. So I guess that would be a bug Smiley

Yep. Under some circumstances the game won't register that you actually won. We're looking into that too!

Joxynox
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2015, 03:22:03 AM »

Will be more change & update in the futur? I bought this game yesterday and i fell in love, so i would be happy if the game will grow up Shocked
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2015, 03:32:08 AM »

Will be more change & update in the futur? I bought this game yesterday and i fell in love, so i would be happy if the game will grow up Shocked

Yes! We're currently taking things a little slow after the release crunch and we're figuring out a roadmap for content updates and patches. But we're surely going to try and perfect the game, especially as we work towards a release for Xbox.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:28 AM »

Oh cool I just saw you'd reached 100% - congratulations! I hope the launch is going/has gone well  :D

xxrykutaxx
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »

Hey there, been playing Kingdom lately, really enjoy it, there really aren't a lot of games that capture the kind of empire building I'm looking for lately, and this one comes pretty close.

At the moment though, I've done pretty much everything there is to do by about day 12. My structures are all maxed and I have a full standing army. I have enough farms to constantly buy people and activate the statues each day and still overflow, and I have a plethora of men working on behalf of the crown. I feel I am stuck. I can't seem to assault the portals successfully, and the giant monsters (flying and land) wreck havoc regardless of my defensive strength.

In other words I feel as though I've reached the maximum new things I can do, without feeling like I have. It feels like I should have way more to do, but then just kinda don't. Progression stops but difficulty keeps rising over time.

I imagine this is going to be fixed in time of course, new updates and changes and the like. So I came up with a list of ideas that would be neat to see implemented and would probably increase the longevity of the game for people playing, as well as fun factor.

-DEFENSE-
* Builders should get into position at the same time archers do - It is ever so annoying when a catapult only gets to fire its first shot (Which is usually the least effective shot it could possibly take, since it fires at the first enemy coming into range, rather than waiting for the group); and then never fires again for the duration of the moon since the builders are walking from the castle to the front lines during the invasion.
* Knights should be braver - I've noticed when using knights and guards to help defend during blood-moons, they hide behind the walls, seemingly waiting for it to break. I thought this meant that they would be the emergency shield to provide cover for fleeing archers to get behind the next safest wall; but no, once the wall breaks they turn their backs to the enemy and slowly start to walk towards the next wall, taking constant hits until they die, never once fighting back. I was hoping for a more noble, spring into action and give life for the cause kind of thing. It would be neat if they were to act as a sort of mobile wall; slowly backing up but still attacking enemies while archers would stay behind them, backing up and shooting also. Basically emergency defense.
* Civilians should duck and cover - If a wall breaks, and there is a farm in-between your next wall and the one that just fell. Those farmers are simply dead. They never run for their lives; they just get hit and duck down, causing a huge gold loss in tools and citizens. If I saw a crazy huge mob of monsters headed at me, I'd probably run for my life to the nearest safe place; would be convenient if they did so too.
* A town alert system would be neat - What happens if one of your walls suddenly breaks and monsters begin to pour through? I imagine any larger kingdom worried about its defense would probably have some kind of horn or bell that would sound. Indicating the direction of the assault. Perhaps it could be used to rally more defenders or work in tandem with the civilian duck and cover concept above?

-ADDITIONS-*
Upgraded versions of previous tools - Perhaps a system of tiered tools would be a cool idea; upgraded tools would have better performance and be capable of doing more than previously. Hammer upgrades could also allow for more structures to be built and bow upgrades could enable different arrowheads maybe; on top of natural stat buffs.
* More building upgrades - A larger castle allows for more knights, more tools/items, and more catapults. Larger walls perhaps with built in towers or areas with which to pour burning oil on attackers. Bigger towers with ballistas or catapults built into the top or covered better so that defenders can't be easily taken by flying enemies.
* Town Buildings - Structures that generate manpower (or just people) every day or so, as well as increasing tax yield. These could perhaps be upgrades to farms, or separate sections altogether. For those instances where you desperately need more defenders at a much higher rate than the camps can provide.
* Mines - Builders who are idle could perhaps mine in set mining blocks to earn gold for the empire; that way they have a purpose when they aren't busy building or expanding the empire.
* Knight bowman could have crossbows - knights have a posse of what are essentially tougher bowman to go with them; however since knights have the exclusive job of tanking damage and even attacking the portals; their assistant archers should be more suited to aggressive or closer range combat; hence, crossbows.
* Armor - Defensive units such as bowman or knights can have purchasable armor they can wear, giving them a better chance of surviving hits from monsters and not having their weapons stolen (in the case of bowman)

Also, thanks for making an awesome game; can't wait to see how it improves over time.
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »

Happy 2016! I found this devlog while writing a feature about kingdom and it was a great source of insight and lovely GIFs. Here's the article I wrote:

If you haven't heard of Retronator Magazine yet, you'll find a lot more pixel art articles there. And thanks to Noio for sharing the development process. I hope the future improvements will be logged as well. Best to the game in the upcoming year!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic