Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:37:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs♜ Kingdom ♜
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: ♜ Kingdom ♜  (Read 80285 times)
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »

Been working on the statues & feel like i'm really running into the limit of my art skills here. Anyway.. I'll just cover it up in grime and vines and nobody will notice.  Cool

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »

Been working on the statues & feel like i'm really running into the limit of my art skills here. Anyway.. I'll just cover it up in grime and vines and nobody will notice.  Cool

would love to see your process drawing those statues.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »

would love to see your process drawing those statues.

I'll make a recording next time but

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »

looking forward to it!

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2015, 03:55:09 AM »

Not super thrilled, but got other stuff to work on  Shrug

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2015, 05:44:12 AM »

The statue (and the game!) looks good. But i was not able to read KINGDOM your signature directly. Sketch:
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2015, 05:47:12 AM »

The statue (and the game!) looks good. But i was not able to read KINGDOM your signature directly. Sketch:

For the title, I tried to form the letters not by the outlines alone, but using the different depths to suggest the letter shapes. I see it's a little obscured in the signature because of the overgrowth. Then again, don't you feel like a real archeologist for having to decipher it? Wink

TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2015, 05:53:18 AM »

For the title, I tried to form the letters not by the outlines alone, but using the different depths to suggest the letter shapes. I see it's a little obscured in the signature because of the overgrowth. Then again, don't you feel like a real archeologist for having to decipher it? Wink

The only letter I'm having trouble with is K there, it looks more like H because the right leg isn't slanted (as in K usually)

Great progress on the game, loving to see it develop Smiley

- - - -
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »

Added some dirt kicked up by the hooves.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »

The animation for the horse is great, I can imagine that last scene being a great trailer. The king galloping through a kingdom as it slowly builds itself.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2015, 07:39:53 AM »

Rain, with particle lighting thanks to @farfarer in this topic.

Redhotgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2015, 09:58:42 AM »

Really a cool atmosphere in your game Smiley Good job Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2015, 03:46:30 AM »

Been working on cranking out animations and assets for new stuff that was buried in the backlog.

Waterwheel (for a farmhouse/shelter)

Catapult being pushed

Catapult firing

With these latest animations I'm more often taking in-engine shortcuts instead of animating everything frame by frame. The waterwheel is rotated through code, and the catapult kicks using physics. Our game is a 1:1 pixel game, so that means we will never have rotated blocky pixels, but some aliasing happens. The trick to make these kind of animations look good is to make them as fast and short as possible. That way, your eyes interpret the whole motion, and not the weird patterns introduced by the aliasing.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2015, 04:12:20 AM »

I don't mind the shortcuts and aliasing. Rotated pixels (or different resolutions) look out of place in most cases.
Good to see "1:1 pixel games" in these forums. Gentleman

What is your game resolution, btw?
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2015, 01:47:27 PM »

I don't mind the shortcuts and aliasing. Rotated pixels (or different resolutions) look out of place in most cases.
Good to see "1:1 pixel games" in these forums. Gentleman

What is your game resolution, btw?

Yeah, this is what I was avoiding with NIKRA. I prefer low-res/high-res rotation drawing. Looks fantastic :D

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »

Definitely appreciate the proper pixel scaling.  Even if it looks good, it's kind of gimmicky to have "big pixel" style graphics, but higher res rotation and whatnot.  Sticking to a single pixel resolution with everything will always look better IMO.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2015, 11:22:11 PM »

Yeah, this is what I was avoiding with NIKRA. I prefer low-res/high-res rotation drawing. Looks fantastic :D

I guess it looks bad in most cases because rotation (scaling, stretching, and so on) is easy to program and ppl use it without thinking much about it. The game making tool is suggesting it's okay. You broke the "rules" carefully on purpose. That's a difference, in my opinion.  Beer!

@Forstride: What happened to Traversia/Rangers?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:29:58 PM by Zorg » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2015, 05:51:58 AM »

Looks great.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:08 AM »

those reflections are really wonderful

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »

I haven't played the first game until today. It's really nice concept, I love the idea that as a monarch you do everything by tossing coins around  Smiley The game also looks great, gameplay is simple and addictive, but AI is broken, game is not balanced, and it gets old quickly.

But I am sure you are already aware of all these things, and that the sequel will fix the shortcomings while keeping all the charm from the original.  Beer!

Things I would like to see:
- additional buildings and professions, even some type of tech/building tree might be cool
- either some context (campaign/story) OR more procedurally generated world
- more things the coins (and lack of them) can do - depending not just on location but situation/context/time of day/year/economy/people present etc.
- other resources which would NOT be usable by the main character. in other words: economy should become more complex, but you still only influence it by collecting and throwing coins

Things I would NOT like to see:
- any additional direct action of the main character beside tossing of coins
- any kind of "menu" or similar with which you would directly choose what to do with coins.
- just adding tons of new enemies, weapons, defences and allies without making other aspects of the game more complex

Keep up the good work!

site  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  facebook | indieDB
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic