Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:33:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHardland - Sandbox action adventure RPG [Release Candidate]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Hardland - Sandbox action adventure RPG [Release Candidate]  (Read 61064 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2014, 07:55:32 AM »

With hands: Zombies

Without hands: New, exciting and creepy
pikkukatti
Level 1

Team Lead @AncestoryGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »

I definitely prefer with hands; the one without looks a bit too cuddly and unimposing.

Stunning stuff all around guys and if you have trouble thinking what to write about I would to hear more about the tech you have; the lighting, the materials, the animations, the foliage. It all looks so stunning and I'm a sucker for tech explanations Smiley

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »

+1 for without hands for the same reasons than Quarry.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »

No hands, yeah. Perhaps you could replace the hands with something else to make them more unique? Like tentacles, scythes, metal claws or something.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2014, 01:47:09 AM »

I'd say hands, definitely
Nilanjan
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2014, 03:49:26 AM »

Man this is stunning!!! Shocked Feeling very curious to know about the tech behind this.Great work guys Gentleman
Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »

Development Update 44 to celebrate the 5th release. New features:

The first iteration of spell casting. Player can find and cast spells, the following spells are currently in the game: Fireball, Chicken and Skeleton spells.
Here's a GIF of the skeleton spell in action:

Giant Spider has been added to the game:

3 different damage feedback animations for the player character, the following animation is used for the strongest impacts:

Improved save and load functionality.   
Player gets a notification of what reward items they received from quests.
The land is now shaped like an island shape instead of a square.

Health, armor, stamina, food and experience bars added to the bottom of the screen:

Mouse and controller sensitivity options and separate inverse Y switch for mouse and controller.

Back button works in the inventory and map screen.
Menus work better with multi-display systems.
Several optimizations.

Sampo started modeling more villagers so we can get some variety to the towns:

Some pics from the upcoming terrain generation overhaul. We're experimenting with thermal and hydraulic erosion. It's looking extremely promising and wasn't as slow as we feared:

Fly-through GIF:

Demonstration of what the erosion does to a quick Photoshop heightmap sketch:

This is the type of "gameplay map" we plan to feed for it:

We're now in the process of integrating this stuff with the node-based world generator and that should allow us to test different terrain generation setups faster and answer some more questions: In what order do we need to run the erosion to get the fastest results etc.

Quarry, ephoete, SolarLune, Storsorgen: We'll probably end up doing all kinds of combinations each broken in their unique way Smiley one leg, one hand, stub hands, no hands, stub legs etc. to get maximum variety.

pikkukatti & Nilanjan: We're using deferred lighting and physically based rendering. Sampo wrote an informative breakdown of the material setup:
http://samporask.tumblr.com/post/102629920044/hardland-early-access-release-4-brings-a-new-group

The foliage is a combination of meshes and two-sided alpha textured objects. There's a component called WaveAnimationComponent which is responsible for waving them around when wind blows, when characters walk through the grass or if the object takes damage. It's a good system for anything bigger than small grass and works even for wooden fences and street lamps (you can setup the bending parameters so it feels right for each material).
WaveAnimationComponent for a bush:
   WaveAnimationComponent      { amplitude = 10 frequency = 0.06 maxWave = 4 maxBend = 20 maxDisplace = 1 stiffness = 0.4}

WaveAnimationComponent for a wooden fence:
   WaveAnimationComponent      { amplitude = 0 frequency = 0.0 maxWave = 0 maxBend = 7 maxDisplace = 8 stiffness = 0.8}

WaveAnimationComponent for a street lamp:
   WaveAnimationComponent      { amplitude = 0 frequency = 0.0 maxWave = 0 maxBend = 1 maxDisplace = 1 stiffness = 0.8}   

We haven't yet figured out what's the best way to add large grass fields so we don't blow our entity numbers through the roof. It would require close to 200 000 entities to fill an entire field with grass, the poly count isn't the problem but the entity count is. Though I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Animation system works in sync with a component called ActionComponent and that's where things get interesting. For example in order to get the spell casting to work in the latest update these were the key steps:

1. Created the spell casting animation in 3d software (Blender)
2. Added a chicken spell to Objects.txt. (The templates can refer to other templates):
   SpellChicken
   {
      AttachmentSpawnerComponent   
      {
         spawns =
         [
            { templateName = "SpellChickenSparkParticles" attachToOriginator = true collideWithFamily = false }
         ]
      }
      TransformComponent         { }
      InstanceComponent         { asset =   "PuppetRooster"  }
      LabelComponent            { labelOffset = 0.4 showOnlyInFocus = true }
      InteractionComponent      { examineType = Examine }
      NameComponent            { name = "Spell (Chicken)" }
      QuestComponent            { message = "Spawns chickens." }
      ItemComponent            
      {
         usableSlots = [ "Weapon_R" ]
         damage = 100
         useSpawns =
         [
            { templateName = "SpellChickenProjectile" positionOffset = (0.2, 0.0, 0.0) orientationOffset = (0, 90, 0) scaleFactor = 1.0 startImpulseMagnitude = 60 collideWithFamily = false }
            { templateName = "SpellChickenSound" attachToOriginator = true }
         ]
         useEffects = [ ]
         useOwnerActionAnimationSequenceOverrides = { "UseRightHand" : "CastSpell" }      
         sensor = { type = Capsule radius = 0.08  height = 0.58  offset = (-0.06, 0.0, 0.4) orientation = (-0.0, 0.0, -90.0) }
      }      
      PhysicsComponent
      {
         isDynamic          = true
         mass             = 10
         bounciness          = 0.5
         friction          = 1.8
         shapes             =
         {
            "SpellChickenSphere" : { type = Sphere radius = 0.25 offset = (0, 0, 0.2) }
         }
      }
      PointLightComponent         { color = (150, 0, 200, 0) intensity = 5.0 offset = (-0.1, 0, -0.1) }
      ParticleComponent
      {
         params =
         {
            colorTextures             = [ "Flame-02" "Flame-04" "SmokeRing-01" ]
            renderMode                 = Billboard
            acceleration             = (0.0, 0.0, 0.2)
            velocityDamping             = 0.85
            mass                     = 1.0
            lifeTimeBase             = 0.8
            lifeTimeRange             = 0.1
            fadeInTime                 = 0.05
            fadeOutTime              = 1.0
            initialSizeBase             = 0.5
            initialSizeRange            = 0.2
            scaleInTime              = 0.0
            scaleOutTime             = 0.0
            initialAngleRange         = (0.0, 0.0, 1.0)
            initialAngleVelocityRange    = (1.5, 1.5, 1.5)
            initialColor               = (0.9, 0.1, 0.85, 0.9)
            endColor                  = (0.4, 0.1, 0.35, 0.85)
            preSimulateTime             = 0.0
            hideMinRange             = 0.6
            hideMaxRange             = 0.75      
         }

emitters =
         [
            ParticleEmitterBox
            {
               params =
               {
                  initialParticleCount    = 0
                  duration             = -1
                  particlesPerSecond     = 140
                  initialPositionBase     = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
                  initialPositionRange    = (0.1, 0.1, 0.1)
                  initialVelocityBase     = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
                  initialVelocityRange    = (0.8, 0.8, 0.7)
               }
            }
         ]
      }
   }

3. The following went into the AnimationComponent of the soldier:
         "CastSpell"         :    [{ startFrame = 1610    endFrame = 1625   fps = 30 blendInFrameCount = 3 blendOutFrameCount = 3 }]

4. This went into the ActionComponent of the soldier:
         "CastSpell" :
         [
            { animationName = "CastSpell" useStartFrame = 5 orientation = LookDirection2D maxMoveSpeed = 0 allowHeadTracking = false }
         ]

So now each time the player is holding the spell and hits the attack button it will cast a chicken spawning spell. The code itself doesn't have any mentions of the word "spell".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:05:53 PM by Timo Vihola » Logged

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »

Can't wait to play this on the full release, good stuff guys
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

Re: hands vs no hands

Without hands you enter the Uncanny Valley, and it makes them look tragic and pathetic (adj. arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness), which is far more interesting that the alternative.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »

Without hands you enter the Uncanny Valley, and it makes them look tragic and pathetic (adj. arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness), which is far more interesting that the alternative.

i agree.

anyway, i saw this on steam the other week and thought the art looked hella neat. the world gen is impressive as well in how "organic" it looks. holding out until i buy it tho (too much other stuff going on financially atm).
Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2014, 12:28:10 PM »

Development Update 45

Nelphion: Thanks!
rek: Point taken.
C.A. Silbereisen: Hopefully we'll manage to put the new terrain generation stuff into the game soon, it's proving to be a huge undertaking with many moving pieces Smiley

Confirmed for the next update: New younger villagers (men & women), dialogue camera, new objects, items have prices, the merchant has the ability to sell and buy items, new sprinting mechanic which consumes stamina and brand new story generator which randomizes NPC items, generates names, dialogue and simple quests.

When you walk in front of friendly characters they greet you and you can enter the dialogue screen by pressing the talk button. After pressing the talk button the camera moves closer into a more intimate position and focus is set at the two characters (Foreground and background are blurred with the depth of field effect):

The same camera is also used if you examine objects like gravestones, signs etc.

Matrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »

Do you guys plan to release a OSX version in the future?
Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2015, 01:24:44 AM »

Matrix: We haven't decided on ports yet, just focusing on the game itself.

Development Update 46:

Hardland Release 8 is now available in Steam Early Access!

NEW FEATURES
The first iteration of a blacksmith; repair your broken items at the blacksmith in Town of Fortuna
Level requirements for weapons to give more incentive to level up
Terrain rendering underneath plants and objects
Render and simulation distance increased and slider added to the options menu
Plant animations can be disabled from the options menu to improve performance

IMPROVEMENTS

Improved stamina handling; there is now a fixed penalty of 1 second + no negative values   
All characters are now included in the save file
Significant physics, graphics and generation optimizations (the game may run worse if you use the longest view distance as that has been increased a lot)
Blunderbuss projectile explodes on collision
Inventory usability improvements
Inventory money replication bug fixed
Inventory bush equipping bug fixed (you can hide in the bush again)
Major cache file size reduction (65 MB -> 5 MB)
Fixed road texture cracks and added roadside grass

Increased mouse sensitivity max value
Character sliding/stuck bug fix
Added option to disable HUD. (It was previously only possible in dev builds)

GRAPHICS

Improved motion blur; less artifacts and noise
Improved fog; more colorful, better fog shadows, better integration with sky

Improved cloud system; more volumetric look with multiple layers
Improved shadows; mountains on the horizon shadowthe sun
Bloom is lot stabler in motion
Improved ambient occlusion and added large scale ao
Corrected light fresnel for direct and indirect source

A shader mod showing the fresnel effect

NEXT ON THE TODO LIST:

We're gonna add portals which can take the player from location A to location B.
It allows us to do hand made special locations like the Cobold Cave:

Portals also enable us to start working on random generated dungeons:

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »

I want to play the pixel art version...  Ninja

Seriously though, amazingly good looking game. Hope the gameplay will become as polished. If it makes it out of Early Access with good reviews, I'll definitely put down money for it!

switchfox
Level 0

1024 Chickens? Tasty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »

I'm amazed by the detail in models and terrain... really great work! I hope to try it out on the future (as many here also do).

Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »

Release 11 is almost ready with a huge list of features. It's easily the best version so far in terms of gameplay and structure. Dialogue system works nicely and more complicated locations like this goblin camp function properly:

(hopefully Broforce inspiration is starting to show through Smiley)

We feel like we've finally "tamed" the random generation to a state where it serves the game instead of causing constant troubles.

The game is split into three different types of areas:
1. Completely handcrafted areas (great for important characters and stuff like chained quests because you know stuff is gonna exactly be where it should)
2. Random generated dungeons which combine random and handcrafted rooms (fun for exploration and combat gameplay)
3. Random open-world which has handcrafted landmarks as the key locations (fun for exploration, combat gameplay and more simple quests)

In addition to those we're working on a modular set of indoor building blocks but it's basically the same type of area as the number 1. Indoors can be accessed from area types 1 and 3. Moving between different area types happens through portals.

Lots of randomization also happens on per entity basis. For example in that explosion GIF the different explosive barrels are randomly selected from a pool of 5 explosive barrels to give random fuse times. Regular barrels and vases are also almost completely randomized. Most enemies are randomized to an extent. GOBLINMINION, (small goblin with random gear, could be archer or infantry etc.) GOBLINCAPTAIN (large goblin with random gear), GOBLINRANDOM (random goblin of any type, including their pets the wild boars). Weapons, health, items, gold and name of the particular enemy are selected from a pool that's suitable for that particular enemy.

switchfox: We could perhaps make a special "demo" version for Tigsource if you wanna try it out.
eobet: Thanks! We're working hard to make it one of the more fun action adventure games out there. Release 11 is another step into that direction Smiley

Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »

We're hard at work on release 12. One of the new features is that player can enter houses and they have random interiors. House randomization screenshot dump ahead.

It started with this:

Sometimes it looked like this:

"It's safe to come down, the rat is gone."

IconicGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »

This is really beautiful. I would definitely buy this.
*THROWS MONEY AT SCREEN*

<br /><br />
Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »

IconicGames: *Unable to catch the money as it's stuck on the other side of the screen* Wink

Updated the very first post with some new gifs. I'll do a longer post once I've got some rest. It's been a crazy week with two Hardland releases plus trying to keep up with E3 at the same time! The Last Guardian, FFVII and even Rare's new game seemed like a return to form for them. Though I still think dukope has them beat on ship rope simulation Smiley

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:19 PM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/things-i-lifted-over-my-head-in-hardland-an-early-access-rpg/

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic