Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 05:27:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSeg Fault
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Seg Fault  (Read 5668 times)
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »

It's pretty early, but I'm not likely to get any live testers soon, and I'd like to make sure I'm not going in the wrong direction.

Note: All memory values are in octal.

You're trapped inside a 6-bit computer, and the only way to get out is by changing the program counter to 00 and crashing the computer. The rings around the ouside are memory. The top ring starts at 00 at the hash and increase clockwise so that 37 is left of the hash. The bottom ring continues with 40 at the hash and ends with 77 left of the hash. The program counter is the red thing above the lower ring. It points to the next instruction and starts at 40. The accumulator is the column at the center and is the only way of interacting with the computer. In all values, the most signficant bit is on top, and cyan represents a binary 1.

Navigate with wasd, the mouse, and shift. Click on a bit in the accumulator to change it. After selecting a bit from the accumulator, you'll start rotating around the accumulator. Use the mouse to move up and down, and use the number keys to enter the value displayed around the accumulator. When the cylinder around the accumulator turns cyan, the selected bit changes. If the cylinder turns red (by getting hit by those red beams or entering incorrect values), you lose the program.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Does the above make sense?
  • Does the game run?
  • Does the game run well?
  • Does the "music" fit?
  • Are the four levels too hard/too easy?

Here it is (Windows, 1.49MiB)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:16:10 AM by Gold Cray » Logged
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »

Not really. WTF

• Does the game run?
Yes.

• Does the game run well?
Yes.

• Does the "music" fit?
Honestly, I think it's pretty bad. Sad You'd probably be better off with just the background sounds.

I have no idea. See, not only I'm completely clueless about how to play the game, the window is too large for my 1024x768 resolution, so I can't see part of it.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »

beautiful, but I have no idea what's going on?
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:27:09 AM »

Not really. WTF

• Does the "music" fit?
Honestly, I think it's pretty bad. Sad You'd probably be better off with just the background sounds.

I have no idea. See, not only I'm completely clueless about how to play the game, the window is too large for my 1024x768 resolution, so I can't see part of it.

I thought that might be the case. Will get to work on fixing that. Thanks for the feedback.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »

It made no sense, until I read the first line of the instructions file. Then everything up to "after selecting a bit..." made some sense, except that I'm not sure what you mean by "the hash". I don't know what happens after that.

It won't run for me; something flashes up on screen that might be the game window, but it vanishes again instantly. But this is on my mother's old Dell that isn't well-maintained with drivers or anything.

havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »

It crashes for me. Laptop with vista, ati x1600 .
The window pops up, not full-screen , some sound playes, then nothing happens and the application becomes unresponsive. Apt name though :p

Pizza is delicious.
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 07:22:09 AM »

The window pops up, not full-screen , some sound playes, then nothing happens and the application becomes unresponsive. Apt name though :p
This is pretty much what happens to me too.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »

I've updated the program for people having trouble getting it to run. If it still crashes, there should be some information in stdout.txt to help figure out why.

Here it is (Windows, 1.49MiB)

I've also realized the mistake I made in explaining how to play, and I have started working on a better explanation (one that explains how to play rather than how it works) and levels to complement it.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »

Same as before. A window flashes up that maybe looks a bit like your screenshot, and then vanishes again. Stdout is
Creating Variables...
  Control Variables
  Counter Variables
  Timing Variables
  Graphics Variables
  Mouse Variables
  Event Variables
  Name Variables
  Physics Variables
  Computer Variables
  Combat Variables
  Graphics Variables
  Misc Variables
Initialization
  Video
  Computer
  Icon
  Name
  Sound
  Sound Variables
  Sound 2
  Music Loaded
  Sound Effects Loaded
  Start Playing
  First program loaded
  Combat
  Scores
  Scores 2
Loading data
  Scores
  images
  Program List
Initialized mouse
Cursor hidden
Name initialized
but I think it was like that before I even ran the program. And can I suggest renaming "Instructions" as "Instructions.txt".

havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »

same result as above.

For me it seems like context never pops up, the window don't render anything.

Pizza is delicious.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »

beautiful, but I have no idea what's going on?

This. Also, I suspect that one needs to actually understand binary to play this, which I only barely do.

And I thought that the music was quite fitting.

increpare
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »

And I thought that the music was quite fitting.
I had no issues with the music either; it seemed too fit the aesthetic reasonably well.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 08:48:34 PM »

Also, I suspect that one needs to actually understand binary to play this, which I only barely do.
This may be true, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary if I present it properly (after getting it to work). The only part that really requires an understanding of binary only does 1-4, which is hopefully simple enough.

I've gotten myself access to a computer that reproduces the freezing thing, so hopefully I'll be able to work that out more quickly.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Natso
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »

All I can say is SCREW YOU gold cray, I'm gonna have nightmares about this and I haven't even played it yet.

WTF

- Natso

noooooooooooooooo............... Crazy

Home is where my power chord is.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 09:30:35 PM »

this game is really bizarre i have no idea what im doing.. but through trial and error.. i found that, when the bottom 2 bars are display press key 3 when the middle is flash press 2 when the bottom is flash press 1.. for the others im not sure!

i did manage to get a score higher then zero, and crash it one time!
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 09:57:09 PM »

this game is really bizarre i have no idea what im doing.. but through trial and error.. i found that, when the bottom 2 bars are display press key 3 when the middle is flash press 2 when the bottom is flash press 1.. for the others im not sure!

I haven't explained that part very well. Basically, the three bars represet a binary number. When the botton two are lit, that's 011 = 3. When it's just the middle, it's 010 = 2, and when it's just the bottom, that's 001 = 1.

I'm hoping to come up with a better explanation after I get the game to work consistently.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 11:30:15 PM »

maybe give people some binary basics.... i dont know anything about binary!
Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 12:56:34 AM »

I downloaded, and attempted to play this game.

At first I was like  Huh? and then I clicked a box and I was like  Shocked and an alarm went off and stuff started spinning and then I was like  Epileptic then nothing happened and i was like  Undecided and then I turned it off.

In short, this probably is an awesome game, but like everyone else, I need some direction mayne.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »

maybe give people some binary basics.... i dont know anything about binary!

Here's an easy way to cheat -

Make a little table like this:

128  64  32  16   8   4   2   1
  0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

Then switch the 0s to 1s to add the equivalent amount. What you get in the bottom line is your number. So 3 is 11:

0   0   0   0   0   0   1   1

39 is 100111:

0   0   1   0   0   1   1   1

137 is 10001001:

1   0   0   0   1   0   0   1

And so on... hope I made it clear enough. Shrug
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »

This is pretty much what happens to me too.
Me too!  Also vista laptop with ati graphics.  Please fix this because it sounds like my kind of game.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic