Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:48:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting3DP Entry: Generic Slash
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: 3DP Entry: Generic Slash  (Read 11192 times)
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:41 AM »

Wow, 3 days for an RPG, sounds rough. Looks like you got a pretty good game going, though. Good luck with the results!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »

I've downloaded it but can't get it to work here. I'll try it again at home, I'm supposed to have everything installed...
I'll post later!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 09:20:26 AM »

I really must figure out this installer business Sad

Sorry Guert! Hope you get it working Smiley

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 10:08:33 AM »

gaaah

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »

Wow, kudos to JW for DNA. It is absolutely fucking great!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 09:15:38 AM »

Haven't tried it but...
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/feats-list.html
Perhaps it could be useful...

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to run it at home... Talk to you later!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 03:55:40 AM »

Hmm, couldn't get it to start...I'll see if I can investigate why...
Later!

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 04:52:12 AM »

You're not the only one. It's a problem, the installation requirements. I'm starting to regret certain things now.

Ideally:
* ensure Windows XP is up to SP2
* install .NET 2.0 framework
* install SDL.NET framework
* unzip game and run (resources dir and 4 DLLs should be present)

should make it run. Pain in the ass Sad

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 04:56:09 AM »

Oh yeah Guert! The de facto build ZIP is here

http://freeware.remakes.org/users/haowan/Game.zip

Try that one instead. SDL.NET framework install is included.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 05:10:30 AM »

It's working! Smiley

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 05:12:50 AM »

Great! Enjoy! There's not much to it Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 06:14:30 AM »

It's a good start!  I hope you continue this one after the contest is over.  Maybe the forum can help, if you need it. Smiley

Probably could stand to move the exit to the far corner, as it's pretty easy to just waltz through atm.

Also, only being able to hit the monsters from the side is rather odd, considering that the game is essentially top view.

I dig the graphics!

I agree, you should definitely continue this after the contest is over. Tweak the combat,modify the level layout, add some music and more enemies and maybe some new items and RPG-style skills upgrades (and Zelda like mini puzzles maybe?). Looks good though:) Oh, I especially loved the death animation:

One of the best death animations I've seen Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »

FYI, you can bundle all the related assemblies and native-code DLLs with your application assembly. Then the user doesn't have to install SDL.NET or add the assemblies to the GAC.

Also, that way, you can run the game on OS X and Linux by adding a ".platform" file for the assemblies redirecting them to the proper native-code SDL dynamic libraries.

If you're interested in checking for portability, you can run the Mono MoMa tool against it, which will tell you areas in which your code is deficient/unsupported by Mono.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 08:20:07 PM »

Alright quick comments, telegraph-style! Smiley:

1-The game is interesting and you have something good going on
2-Pressing the attack button should have the hit arrive faster. Speed up the animation and leave the hit frame longer.
3-Different direction slash would be great
4-Moving down the stairs should happen if you are completly on the middle of the icon, not just one bit touching it.
5-Animation for a transition between levels, no it pops from one to another too fast
6-Bonus for clearing a room. Extra riches and health boost
7-Charge attack. You could make it that the more you hold the button down, the more damage you'll make. The character would hold up his sword and then attack on button release. A bit like your goblin-like creatures.
8-On detah you should be able to continue at a save point. I suggest a special object found on certain levels (ie 1-3-5-etc...) that will allow you to respawn there.
9-On death, you'd loose half the XP, half your riches.
10-Weapon upgrades. For example, you could earn them by defeating enemies on certain floors or using special objects. An example could be to have a poisonous effect on your sword after defeating a dark blob or having a sword made of fire after hitting a special lava object. This could be a way to give a reason to the player to come back to previous levels
11-Multiple stair ways in levels.
12-Try to put the stairs in different places so the player has to do something to actualy move to other levels.
13-About stair case. Perhaps you could put the level changing events on a button so we could fight on the stairs and pick up the riches?
14-Block button and enemies that throws stuff at you.
15- Clearer blob attack and death. Make the blob deform on attack so we can have more anticipation, like the goblins. Make them a pool of goo instead of simply flat when they are dead.
16-Don't put enemies on the first spaces next to the stairs where we start a level.
17-I went up to level 102 and the basic tiles didn't change. I could be a good idea to use a darker set as you go down levels
18-Perhpas we could start at stair level 50 and try to reach the bottom of the pit to get the big treasure
19-Diversify your levels. make some that don't have enmies to bash, could be some simple puzzles or just a couple of traps that can be deactivated by moving them, like two ray guns that you would move them to make them face each other and they'd explode... Right now, we see everythign the game as to offer within the first level: press a button continuously. Make sure you add more depth to the game.
20-No enemies should stand on stairs
21-Make sure to add confirms on quitting games...

Well, I'm abit tired and can't think much of anything else... Hope it helps. Later!

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2007, 03:04:22 AM »

FYI, you can bundle all the related assemblies and native-code DLLs with your application assembly. Then the user doesn't have to install SDL.NET or add the assemblies to the GAC.

Also, that way, you can run the game on OS X and Linux by adding a ".platform" file for the assemblies redirecting them to the proper native-code SDL dynamic libraries.

If you're interested in checking for portability, you can run the Mono MoMa tool against it, which will tell you areas in which your code is deficient/unsupported by Mono.

Wow, thanks for this info. Very useful!

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 03:15:29 AM »

Alright quick comments, telegraph-style! Smiley:

1-The game is interesting and you have something good going on
2-Pressing the attack button should have the hit arrive faster. Speed up the animation and leave the hit frame longer.
3-Different direction slash would be great
4-Moving down the stairs should happen if you are completly on the middle of the icon, not just one bit touching it.
5-Animation for a transition between levels, no it pops from one to another too fast
6-Bonus for clearing a room. Extra riches and health boost
7-Charge attack. You could make it that the more you hold the button down, the more damage you'll make. The character would hold up his sword and then attack on button release. A bit like your goblin-like creatures.
8-On detah you should be able to continue at a save point. I suggest a special object found on certain levels (ie 1-3-5-etc...) that will allow you to respawn there.
9-On death, you'd loose half the XP, half your riches.
10-Weapon upgrades. For example, you could earn them by defeating enemies on certain floors or using special objects. An example could be to have a poisonous effect on your sword after defeating a dark blob or having a sword made of fire after hitting a special lava object. This could be a way to give a reason to the player to come back to previous levels
11-Multiple stair ways in levels.
12-Try to put the stairs in different places so the player has to do something to actualy move to other levels.
13-About stair case. Perhaps you could put the level changing events on a button so we could fight on the stairs and pick up the riches?
14-Block button and enemies that throws stuff at you.
15- Clearer blob attack and death. Make the blob deform on attack so we can have more anticipation, like the goblins. Make them a pool of goo instead of simply flat when they are dead.
16-Don't put enemies on the first spaces next to the stairs where we start a level.
17-I went up to level 102 and the basic tiles didn't change. I could be a good idea to use a darker set as you go down levels
18-Perhpas we could start at stair level 50 and try to reach the bottom of the pit to get the big treasure
19-Diversify your levels. make some that don't have enmies to bash, could be some simple puzzles or just a couple of traps that can be deactivated by moving them, like two ray guns that you would move them to make them face each other and they'd explode... Right now, we see everythign the game as to offer within the first level: press a button continuously. Make sure you add more depth to the game.
20-No enemies should stand on stairs
21-Make sure to add confirms on quitting games...

Well, I'm abit tired and can't think much of anything else... Hope it helps. Later!

Many thanks for the awesome feedback Grin

Well, I think most of these would definitely get implemented if I expanded the game. I like the room clear bonus a lot.

The darker tiles idea is also great and something I'd considered. It'd be great to add some proper lighting, so you'd have to bring a supply of lantern oil with you for the darker sections.

The block mechanic is something I'd actually planned for but didn't have time to implement. Originally you could hold the attack button down and the knight guy would stand in his pre-attack pose with the shield in front of him. While the button is held down, you are blocking in the facing direction. I changed it to a standard attack after I realised I didn't quite have time to put blocking in. Actually the attack does speed up slightly as you level up, but it's not distinct enough.

I quite like the blob's pre-attack frame being the same as the death frame. It makes for stealth attacks when you walk by a blob you thought was dead and it jumps up and attacks you.

Weapons and other upgrades would definitely be included along with shops every X dungeon levels.

I'd also like to add doors so that a dungeon level is a collection of these 10x10 rooms rather than just one room.

Thanks again for the feedback, man. Making it to level 102 is amazing dedication!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic