Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:34:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsS L O W [urban screen game]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: S L O W [urban screen game]  (Read 6496 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 12:38:41 AM »

This is a really ambitious, interesting project! I'd like to see how it turns out in the end, if you keep going with it. Keep it up! Smiley

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 08:05:39 AM »

I am now working on the visuals, this is a priority because:

• I want to make it immediately clear to people that the game "knows" when they move, that they are seen.
  • There is quite a high likelihood that in the outdoor setup things will not work as expected. The least I aim to achieve is that the game is a pretty screensaver nonetheless.

So, I would love to have your feedback on the following two methods of visualising the players' motion

A
In this approach I'm trying to detect and draw the contours of passers-by, having these as polygons means I can draw them with funky gradients, but detecting the contours from motion blobs is not always accurate (as you can see when many people walk into view).

B
In this approach I'm using the raw optical flow data (magnitude > some_threshold) to draw a fading history image. It's more precise but allows for less shiny polygon-ness.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them, this is a problem I've been stuck on for the longest time now  Tired
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:32:01 AM by noio » Logged

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »

Maybe you could change the color of the motion flow data according to the area of the screen it's in (like green's in the top-left corner, purple's in the middle, red in the bottom-right, etc)?

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 06:38:30 AM »

change the color of the motion flow data according to the area of the screen it's in

I'm not entirely sure how many colors I want to use yet. I could go for full-on rainbow or a more limited palette.

I'm settling on a style like this tho:

It's pretty intense, because I want to make use of the intensity of the big-ass LED screen that the game will be played on.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »

Listening to

and working on the "instruction screens".

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 05:55:12 AM »

Whoo! Compiling on Windows using Code::Blocks took me only part of one day. Thank you oF!

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 08:22:34 AM »

Looks pretty interesting. Are you using OpenCV for the image processing in this, or some other library?

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »

Looks pretty interesting. Are you using OpenCV for the image processing in this, or some other library?

I'm using OpenCV extensively yeah, even for parts of the graphics (cv::Mat <3). ofxCv has some truly neat wrappers for a bunch of other functions; combining e.g. the output of OpenCV's Object Detection with a simple rectangle tracker for persistent objects. It all works fairly well out of the box.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:32 AM »

We did a pilot/test at Playful Arts Festival, I filmed some of that and made a little edit:

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »

This is awesome.
That was a fun video to watch.
What do you have planned next?

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »

What do you have planned next?

I noticed two things:
- It takes time for players to notice that they are being filmed, but they do really like to strike a pose for the camera.
- They expect to win more than just being on top of the scoreboard.

I have a plan to add a cool feature that will address both of those issues; I'll implement this depending on when the next public showing of the game is.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic