Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:25:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrest - Indirect God Game
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39
Print
Author Topic: Crest - Indirect God Game  (Read 100133 times)
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: March 21, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »

Currently redesigning the city districts, I want them to feel a little bit more like "bustling" places. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the design. Smiley Bear in mind that it's a placeholder, I want to hear about the general design rather than the implementation.

This is how they looked prior.

And new again.

Apart from the Dogon influences I've looked a lot at how they solve cities in Civilization 5 and Endless Legend. Anyway, feel free to leave feedback on what I could do better with the design, thanks!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 21, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »

It feels more like a community, the images before felt more like a single family. So that's better!

Do you remember the TED talk about African Fractals? Have you thought of incorporating elements of that?
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: March 21, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »

It feels more like a community, the images before felt more like a single family. So that's better!

Do you remember the TED talk about African Fractals? Have you thought of incorporating elements of that?

Yes! Community contra single family is a perfect description. Regarding fractals I thought about it while browsing through my inspirational image folder. These images (taken from Fractal Enlightenment) have been brewing in my mind since I saw the TED talk long ago.

"African Mokoulek" (Cameroon)

"Ba-ila housing settlements" (Zambia)

They look fascinating, but require a lot of houses, I'm not sure that I can achieve a fractal design with so few houses, currently there's 8 of them, and I need some space in the middle for some feedback (stockpiles or similar). Feel free to leave suggestions though, but I'm not sure on how I could solve that.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 21, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »

Play around with this for a while? Shrug

http://sciencevsmagic.net/fractal/
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: March 22, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »

We now have "contextual tooltips" for commandments, thanks to Jonas! This will hopefully make the game a little easier to comprehend.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 22, 2016, 07:36:36 AM »

Not showing us what the "sad consume happy" one does, eh, you tease? Well, hello there!
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: March 22, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »

Not showing us what the "sad consume happy" one does, eh, you tease? Well, hello there!

I think you know. Wink

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2016, 01:02:06 AM »

The Non-English Market

Just a small update musing on how Crest has been regarded outside of the anglocentric world. I've seen a rise in the interest especially from Russia, Spain and Brazil. This is reflected in our sales and what fan content I can see is produced. For example one of our fans produced a Spanish video introduction and keeps a Spanish version of our dev blog sort of to keep them in the loop. From what I've gathered with my Google Translate skills (and interacting with the outspoken Spanish fans) they seem to be happy with that Crest's language barrier for a strategy/simulation game is very low (compared to other alternatives). This has been a happy accident which we never foresaw, the focus on pictographic symbols has always been to make statistics made easy, and make the commandment language possible.

We are now planning to translate into German, Russian and Spanish pretty soon since there seems to be a demand. The amount of text for Crest is very minimal so we don't think it'll be a big problem.

//BARCHboi
Level 0

Commodore Snes 64k

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:52 AM »

this is very stylish

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »

A new expansion is coming to Crest! For the Love of God, or FTLOG for short is a dating app that will be available inside of the game. With it the player can date other gods (real human players) and use our commandment symbols to communicate with them.

this is very stylish

Much appreciated, thanks. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 31, 2016, 11:34:41 PM »

Cheesy

(that would be a fun chat app for real though; couldn't you slap a website together using some open source webchat technology using WebRTC and your assets?)
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: April 01, 2016, 05:18:42 AM »

Cheesy

(that would be a fun chat app for real though; couldn't you slap a website together using some open source webchat technology using WebRTC and your assets?)

That would have been awesome, but I feel that it's done now. Smiley

---

This devlog will hopefully pick up some steam next week again when we're heading into production of the Faith module.

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: April 04, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »

I have begun working on the new interface for the Faith module, now the player needs to understand if the followers like the commandments.

The small symbols under each commandment depicts a city state, and the number is the global value on a commandment. This is the first attempt so it will be fleshed out in the coming days, but it's great to hear your thoughts at this early stage.

---

Later this week I'll try and summarise the new design for the new module so you can get a better overview of it all.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:24:21 AM by Greipur » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 04, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »

What are the consequences of liking/disliking a command?
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: April 04, 2016, 01:08:37 PM »

What are the consequences of liking/disliking a command?

I realise that I should have given this mockup a better context, which I will later in the week. I can give you a small summation now though. Currently the followers heed the latest written commandment first, but in the future the most upvoted commandments will be first on the list. Since the followers don't have unlimited time units they won't have time with more than say, 3 commandments at the time, so the ones at the top is most important.

So the gist of it is that it's a priority list. Think of it as the most upvoted posts on Reddit, or popular tweets on Twitter. Smiley

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 04, 2016, 07:45:44 PM »

We are now planning to translate into German, Russian and Spanish pretty soon since there seems to be a demand. The amount of text for Crest is very minimal so we don't think it'll be a big problem.

Dunno how far along you guys are with this or if you've already made any plans, but if you're in need of a German translator, I'd like to offer my services. Smiley

(Also, lol at that dating app.)
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »

Dunno how far along you guys are with this or if you've already made any plans, but if you're in need of a German translator, I'd like to offer my services. Smiley

That's very generous, thanks! Roland, our audio designer is from Germany however, and he has promised to do it himself. If we get swamped with too much work I will remember your offer (if it still stands in the future). Smiley

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2016, 01:32:58 AM »

That's very generous, thanks! Roland, our audio designer is from Germany however, and he has promised to do it himself. If we get swamped with too much work I will remember your offer (if it still stands in the future). Smiley

Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2016, 03:06:32 AM »

An extra proofreader never hurts Wink
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »

The Faith Module

Here's my summation of what we're going to work on the coming months. The Faith module is meant to give more things for the player to do, we have spent a long time focusing on making the simulation richer, but it's time that the input got more nuanced.

There are five core pillars or goals with the module:

1 - Closer relationship between the player and the followers  

Writing commandments will no longer be accepted at face value and randomly (and almost arbitrarily) changed with associations. What will happen instead is that when a player has written their commandment the followers will react on the commandment depending on their ideology (more on that below). If a commandment lies outside of their comfort zone they will "downvote" it and/or change the wording of it, which is the true implementation of the association feature. If the player write commandments that the followers like they will be more eager to accept whatever the player says.

2 - Concept of time

There will be a calendar of sorts where the player will get a better sense of when things should be done, this can be compared to games such as Pharaoh where you in the campaign get requests to send say, 1 ton of fish to the capitol, you have five months. If you don't comply you will suffer. This is a similar direction, but of course more of a "soft goal".

3 - Civilisation Progression

Instead of being mostly static the people will gain knowledge in areas they perform in. For example if you have a city state that likes to farm they will get more food when working the fields. Another state might get really good at genocide. Knowledge in Crest is not static however, they can lose what they have gained if they don't use their skills for a long time. This is done to provide a more interesting story, for example the farming kingdom might transition into a trade empire or a city state eager, and able to wage war.

4 - Ideologies

Depending on how the followers fulfilled needs that will influence how they percieve the world. Since most of the city states won't be copies of each other there's a high possibility that there will always be dissenters regardless what the player is writing, this is intentional.

5 - Nuanced Input

To give the player more to do while not writing more commandments the player will be able to improve upon commandments, at the moment we're thinking of that you can add an association in the condition slot. The new association system would mean that Desert + Lion would mean a lion in the desert. The player would be able to do more micromanagement, but, commandments with associations will always run a bigger risk at being rewritten ("Didn't god mean 'lion' instead of 'lion desert'?). A risk and reward situation.

Bear in mind that we're still finding ways to expanding the input, without cheapening the commandment idea. So there will probably be more additions in the future!

-----

Here's some more mockup images that ties mostly into "pillar" 1 and 2. Let me know what you think. Smiley

New Interface

New Tablet

Calendar

The "F" means "festival", it's meant that at the end of each year the player will get feedback on if the people are satisfied with what you've done for them (or not).

---

An extra proofreader never hurts Wink

Fair enough! Smiley Proofreaders and volunteers can contact us at: contact(at)eatcreatesleep.net
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:07:47 AM by Greipur » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic