Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:13:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrest - Indirect God Game
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39
Print
Author Topic: Crest - Indirect God Game  (Read 96946 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 27, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »

So far, they both have a "fall in line with our way of thinking!" kind of oppressiveness to them. Is that on purpose?
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: April 28, 2016, 04:39:11 AM »

So far, they both have a "fall in line with our way of thinking!" kind of oppressiveness to them. Is that on purpose?

I've had a bit of a sinister streak this week so far I guess, but it has been refreshing to explore the more grim sides of Crest so I guess there's some self-indulgence there too.  Embarrassed But those two are probably the most oppressive of the bunch, thematically at least, mechanically they can all oppress each other.

---

Here's some new concept art, perhaps a little less dominant?

In other news Christoffer has built the new Faith interface, this is a screenshot from Unity.

And we've also done some work on tooltips in the cities.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 28, 2016, 05:13:40 AM »

You could go the B&W route and try good/neutral/evil variants of all
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: April 28, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »

You could go the B&W route and try good/neutral/evil variants of all

All the ideologies view themselves as the center of the world, everyone think they are just, as such we're not going for that cartoony evil/good thing. It's true that I've made some statues threatening, but that's because they view themselves as threatening. Smiley

---

Just one more after this one!

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: April 29, 2016, 01:58:36 AM »

There, last of the ideology concept art. Next week I'll post more of what the programmers have kept themselves busy with! I will also make these crazy sculptures into game assets, let's see how close I can get them to the concept art.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 29, 2016, 03:53:19 AM »

"Hey, how ya doin Flexible?"

"Eh, could be worse, could be better"
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: April 29, 2016, 04:11:04 AM »

"Hey, how ya doin Flexible?"

"Eh, could be worse, could be better"

Haha, that's a probable conversation, most likely followed by a boring lecture that everything is relative. Wink

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: May 02, 2016, 07:36:38 AM »

Christoffer did variants of the districts to show the player at a glance what ideology they belong to, or rather, doctrine which we call it now. This is The United.

Think I'll post a gif later showing all of the six variants.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 03, 2016, 12:52:46 AM »

It looks cool - I'll withhold remarking about the mood until I have seen the others for comparison Smiley
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: May 03, 2016, 07:19:28 AM »

It looks cool - I'll withhold remarking about the mood until I have seen the others for comparison Smiley

I'll ask Christoffer to get to it tomorrow. Smiley

---

Jesper is currently implementing the expertise system for our cities. The system will give the city followers bonuses to different tasks they can perform. If they want to go to war and they have proven themselves in earlier conflicts, their moralle will be higher and will therefore launch more succesful attacks.

If they need food, and the city has given a lot of focus on farming, they will do it more efficiently. The same goes for forming alliances (keeping the peace) and mining for metals.

This is all regulated by Production and Prosperity (which is also implemented now), you can't become succesful in warfare without good tools, in this case production controls that. Prosperity is derived from the median of food and gems, and production is taken from wealth and metal.

The above Expertise interface is just a placeholder.

---

I'm modelling the sculpture for Preservers, as I've done prior I'm taking a base from another character so I can use the rig for posing later. It's then just a matter of baking the rig/skinning so it's just a static mesh in the game.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:24:35 AM by Greipur » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 03, 2016, 07:32:50 AM »

Do they need to be a cities own tools, or can they be bought/stolen through raids from other cities? Does the trade model allow for an economy of that level of complexity? Who, Me?
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2016, 01:44:12 AM »

Do they need to be a cities own tools, or can they be bought/stolen through raids from other cities? Does the trade model allow for an economy of that level of complexity? Who, Me?

I asked Emelie and yes, tools is derived from the resources, as such it's not a fixed resource. In the future warriors will be able to pillage, but they would only be able to take: gems, food, metals and wealth, but these basically fills up production and prosperity. It's an interesting thought, having them separate would mean that you could have a city of craftsmen without any resources, but at the moment I think we need to have our focus elsewhere. Smiley

---

Here's all of the city districts, which I teased about before.

Here's an image if you want to look at them in slow motion. Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2016, 03:30:39 AM »

IMGUR tip: make images tall, not wide. Wide images tend to get resized.
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2016, 03:49:53 AM »

IMGUR tip: make images tall, not wide. Wide images tend to get resized.

If you mean here on TIGSource I never go above 800 pixels wide, that's my unofficial standard anyway. Never had any problems with the devices I use at least.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 04, 2016, 04:04:01 AM »

Oh, so the thumbnail size per city was on purpose? :D
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2016, 04:10:05 AM »

Oh, so the thumbnail size per city was on purpose? :D

Yeah, intended laziness. I could've spent more time on it but the gif was good enough so, yeah.  Grin

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:40 AM »

This morning we participated in a short video made by our friends at Rumblewood, a video production studio here on Gotland. This is basically sponsored by the local incubator, so we're being one of the faces of the local startup scene, and in return we get a professionally produced video about our studio. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me (this will come in handy when talking to investors for example). Sadly it's in Swedish, but I'll share it here later (when it comes online) so you can at least see our studio.

---

In other news Christoffer is finishing up on his work on the calendar, what do you think?

I'm soon finished with the Preserver statue, took a lot of effort to get right, the feathers were dreadful to figure out. Smiley

Tomorrow I'll post a few programmer tidbits, stay tuned.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 06, 2016, 12:29:19 AM »

I like that the calendar is cyclical like a clock; which the progress of time fill it up like a meter?
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: May 06, 2016, 04:41:03 AM »

I like that the calendar is cyclical like a clock; which the progress of time fill it up like a meter?

Thanks, Christoffer did a great job imo. Yes, the blue meter will fill up and the plan is also that the "period tiles" that has been passed will be greyed out. The meter will be both in the symbol on the control panel/start menu, and on the proper calendar.

Later on in the Ancestor Module we'll add the legacy function where former cycles will be kept for "eternity". Wink

---

Johannes did this debug tool for walking to understand the walk cycle. He's switching play speed for demonstrational purposes.

The old problem that Johannes wanted to fix was that the followers drifted from their path. Since we use a WYSIWYG approach with movement and time the followers have to move in real-time over the landscape, but that becomes a problem when having to sync to animations. So Johannes made this tool so he could tweak the values and see it in a controlled environment.

And Tomas has been implementing the faith interface, you can now see what commandments they find appealing, or not.

I'm finally done with the Preservers statue, it really added flavour I must say. I was really happy to see it in-game.

I think the statues will serve as great landmarks for the different cities. Hopefully a player who've played for awhile can see from a mile away what their ideology is.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 06, 2016, 04:56:20 AM »

Looks great, the game starts to feel richer and richer
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic